Skip to Content

Afsaal Picnic Spot

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Photos of picnic spots and hides

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi guys, as discussed here, let's start taking photos of picnic spots and bird hides to be put on the website.

Here are my photos of Afsaal, taken last Saturday (24 April).

Front entrace, seen as you walk down from the parking lot. The people are standing by the entrance to the shop. To the right are the toilets and wash-up. To the left is the picnic area.

The side of the main building, looking towards the toilets. The parking lot is seen on the right.

Another shot of the side of the building, showing the entrance to the shops.

View of the side of the building. Towards the right one can buy coffee. Towards the left one can buy food. (We didn't buy anything)

Towards the far side of the picnic site.

One of the thatched areas in the picnic site

Another thatched area, with some of the picnic site.

The picnic site seen from the corner of the main building (as if you're walking in from the parking lot)

Part of the Tamboti forest of the picnic site, as seen from the parking lot (left side)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Shutterbug

Re: Afsaal scops owl gone!

Unread postby Shutterbug » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Ahhh, thats too bad, we loved that guy....

PAPA SMURF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PAPA SMURF » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 pm

The breeding season for the Scops Owl is September to November so they are probobly still in the area but away from the "public section" of Afsaal
Nests in a natural hole in a tree and usually 3 eggs are in the clutch (info from Roberts Birds of Southern Africa)
MY get up and go has just got up and gone
Be Positive and Keep Smiling
Terry

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 am

I think the owl does go AWOL every now and then, in fact when we were there this June there was a sign in front of the tree stating he was away taking his children on holiday! :wink:
I am sure he will be back.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Afsaal has had many challenges. This is not to defend any bad behaviour.

I do think that the alcohol ban has created a lot of strain, probably had a bad cut on profits.

I noticed that they were trying to make up on Tshokwane's example. They were serving venison rolls and being tummy friendly.

I also noted the manager, well he was grumpy and seemed to have a mission. I think that he has fallen in love with Scopsie.

taken with the manager watching

I think that I can forgive that sin. I must say, I only dared take 2 pics :wink:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Nicolette

Unread postby Nicolette » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 am

Regarding bad behaviour may I also say that there is also no excuse for Rude arrogant bad tempered tourists
mouthing off at the poor people who have to serve them. I have seen this countless times and may I say that the staff at Afsaal coped quite well.
Afsaal becomes very busy and I think is too small to handle the number of people that go there.
It is so easy for all of us to complain and yes I agree we have to be aware of correct behaviour when serving the public.
If we boycott Afsaal will this mean it will close down? Just a thought would it not be better to speak to the Manager face to face. Perhaps Sanparks could look at how best to handle this in a helpful manner. I am thinking of the people who work there and who rely on their small wages.
I often don't stop there either not because of surly behaviour but because it caanot handle the amount of people so this is a challenge to me too.
For me perhaps a kind word and encouragement when I am there makes a difference to a person, its small
and also what about a suggestion box?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:26 am

Nicolette, you have brought up some very good points.

I seldom boycott for bad management. It is the staff that tends to suffer. I will stay away if I believe that the food is poor or substandard.

I don't envy the staff at many places. Too often I have witessed rudeness from customers, disrespectful management and this creates a toxic mix.

A reason why I grew to enjoy Tshokwane when David was there, was simply that he worked hard, was quality conscious and seemed to have a very respectful relationship with his staff.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

manicwalker

Unread postby manicwalker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 am

I have never had a problem at Afsaal, even during really busy times,perhaps the staff have not had the time to linger and fuss with customers, but never really rude...
BUT I have witnessed customers being extremely arrogant to the staff, and often its us South Africans :redface:
So I agree If we boycott any place in Kruger we may loose it due to it having to close down....
Perhaps give the management another chance to prove themselves

Lorrie

Afsaal a little lacking~~~

Unread postby Lorrie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

We have just returned from a few days in the Park and am wondering what has happened to Afsaal over the past few months?!

Afsaal a little bit of a disappointment as the curio shop, now under new management, seemed only able to provide crisps(chips) and limited old stock. It had none of the huge variety the previous owners used to display - which I know used to be very popular with the overseas visitors.

I am hoping that the new owners will improve their stock range as it really a great loss of income and as I stated up front a huge disappointment to what it had once been. :roll:

It was most likely also the first time on visiting there that the parking area was almost empty.
"In all things of nature there is something of the marvellous." Aristotle

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Afsaal a little lacking~~~

Unread postby Shushin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:21 pm

My understanding on reading the notice they had posted. Was that while they transfer to Sanparks only limited stock would be available. I think they are also going to refurbish the store at the same time. So as with all things Africa we have to be patient.
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Sure it will be back to normal very soon.
At least the food is still good, we had a very good breakfast there a week or so ago. :thumbs_up:

Scops

Unread postby Scops » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 am

As busy as Afsaal can be it is one of my favourites as its normally the 1st place we stop after enetering the park at Malelane.

Was there any sign of my name sake - the little Scops owl ???

I promised the SO with much confidence and bravado that we would see a Scops on our last trip (knowing either here or Satara was a definite). Between a cold, windy night at Satara, an impossible to locate Scops in Tambotie and the Afsaal Scops going missing - I ended up empty-handed and red-faced.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:18 am

The Scops wasn't there when we were there 2 weeks ago.
Several people were peering up his favourite tree to no avail.
Then one of the cleaners said that he had not been seen there for a while now.

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Lorrie. We were there a few weeks back and although it has always been one of the best managed places in Kruger, I did find it wanting during the last visit.

We ordered pancakes and unfortunately after a too long wait, I cancelled the order. I went back into the store with the aim to rather buy biltong, but only found garage biltong on offer.

I really hope they can turn this around soon, as it has always been a favourite stop over for us.

leander09

Unread postby leander09 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I am with Lorrie and Bundi on this one.

Afsaal was our favourite spot in the Kruger by far and all of good management. The new management is in charge from 1st of May and we were there the 14 June and it was still empty and with almost nothing worth buying. We decided rather to go to skukuza's shop to buy snacks. We also did not visit Afsaal again but will pop in December to see if anything had happened.

I hope it will be again a fraction of what it was but what I have seen I am afraid it is not going to happen.
KNP the Home away from home. . .

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”