Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: BALULE
Unread postPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:50 am 

We love Balule. We battle to get a hut, it is usually fully book so you have to book in far in advance for Balule. Yes that is a small camp but it is worthwhile to go there. It is quite an experience being so close to nature. The piece and tranquillity that you feel there is good. There is also a lot of animals there. I believe that if you have been there once you will not miss the opportunity to go there again. I personally think that is also one of the best camps that there is. :lol:

Elsa Hattingh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GP

It would have been a new camp for campers/caravaners. The suggested name was Ngotsomond (Ngotso Mouth) as it would have been situated next to where the Ngotso enters the Olifants River (slightly west of Balule). When excavations started for the new buildings, some very important artefacts of previous inhabitants were found. If I remember correctly, the site was "taken over" by the department of archeology of Pretoria University for further "studies". It seems the idea of a new camp at this site was "frozen" because of the very important findings. I raised this matter somewhere on the forum before, but no Kruger official replied to my inquiry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GP and Stoffel are correct - that's a fact .

The result was that Balule was saved and a separate caravan camp was established right next to Balule in 1991 .

Ngotsomond is now an archaological site (not accessable to public yet).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Is Balule visible from the S92? I have this pic

taken along the S92 and wondered?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm 

Yes arks your are 100% right, that is two of the six windowless bungalows at Balule. Great camp if the weather plays its part, if not you are really up against the elements.

Post subject: Advice in Balule
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

Can some Forum members please advise me on the following:

I have stayed in all types of parks accom. and particulary enjoy camping. BUT...
I am planning at staying in the huts in Bulule, in mid December and my concern is - will the Huts be too Hot and uncomfortable in the mid Summer heat? Has anyone got some pertinent information and feedback as to this time of year.

Camping there in December is a challenge but well worth it ... will the huts be any better or worse? :?

Thanks

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I camped there in Dec 7yrs ago and yes it was hot but not unbearable. We took a few mid day cold showers but had a very pleasant stay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Fizzpop,
i stayed in december 2005 in Balule in hut No. 6. This hut is the closest to the fence. Yes, it is hot, but not this bad i thought before. I could sleep very well.
So book the hut and enjoy your days and nights in this lovely place.

Post subject: Dark side of Balule
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Nikon12’s excellent story about the fence around Balule, brought back some wonderful memories of the first time we stayed over in this rustic little camp about 7 years ago. One such memory has attained legendary status in our family.

My wife and I had a bungalow and so did my daughter, her husband and the eldest of my grandchildren (then the only one). We shared a wood fire that afternoon as the sun set over the KNP. As always we cooked too much food on the embers and before retiring my wife wrapped the remaining food in some tinfoil and put it on a drawer that stood next to the bed on her side.

:shock: Man, does it get dark there! :shock:

We really enjoyed the starry display in a moonless night sky, but a long, hot day topped by a great feast and a few glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon each soon made us retire. I don’t like a light on in a room when I sleep, so, the paraffin lamp was blown out and we said our goodnights and I must have been in lalaland within two minutes. The next moment I got rudely awakened by a sharp elbow urgently jabbing me in the ribs. You know you have opened your eyes, but you see nothing! It is the closest to being blind you will ever experience!

“What!” I wanted to know, “is bothering you?” My wife has lots of the city girl left in her, even after years of bush trips with me…
:big_eyes:
“There is someone … something in the room!”
:big_eyes:

So we thrashed around in the dark for a few minutes to find the torch that one of us had kicked over. Despairingly we listened to it roll and come to rest somewhere out of reach. Somehow we got hold of matches and relit the lantern. Well, by that time the intruder was long gone, of course, so back to bed. And off with the light, but not before my SO had retrieved the torch and slipped it into bed with us. Again, no effort on my part to return to zzzzzzzzz….

Then all hell broke loose!

:huh: Hysterically screaming wife was wildly thrashing around and then started assaulting me! My SO was hitting the stuffing out of me with the torch!

When I fell asleep my dearest wife sat up in the dark and ambushed our visitor, who turned out to be a small mouse that used the bed covers to scale the furniture in order to get to the tantalising leftovers on the drawer. Fortunately for the mouse, she missed it (but not me!). The mouse scurried somewhere to temporary safety while I tried to calm my poor wife. Needless to say, the lamp burned for the rest of the night. And the story was only good for a laugh some years later!

:imsmilin:

The only "wilder" experience I have had in the KNP was in the Sable sleep-over hide, but that is another story...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Carolynn,

a look on Balule Satellite Camp in the Camps & Roads section.http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1475.

It is a wonderful quiet camp. No electricity. Don´t forget your torch. Also no shop or restaurant. Buy your goodies in Olifants.

Regular visitor at the fence hyenas. Nearest hut to the fence is No. 6.

Feel free to ask me, if you need more hints.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 am 

Hi Schnooks,

What we do is to vacuum pack and freeze our meat, and keep it in a separate cooler box. Then only open it when you need meat a couple of hours before you want to braai.
Then daily, top the cooler up with a couple of bags of ice, and remove any water that might be in the cooler.
Also, keep the cooler in the shade.

Camped a week like this last year and all was fine.

The freezers are big enough at Balule, so you would probably be able to keep stuff cool.

Hope it helps?!

Cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:50 pm 

Can anyone tell me if Balule offers morning walks?

I will be visiting the camp in two weeks time and ask because when I did the Olifants Trail in November last year, our guide took us just downstream of Balule Camp on the Olfants River where we found a pair of Pel's Fishing Owl and nearly stepped on a leopard in the process.

I'm not expecting the leopard to be waiting with open arms in the same place, but am hoping to get another sighting of the Owls.

Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:48 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

There are walks there, but you need to book them in Olifants.
In Olifants they will pick up the guests from there, and then drive on to Balule to pick you up.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:00 pm 

Hi fellow Eastern Caper!!

Balule what can I say...its My favorite Camp in Kruger especially if you camp. Parafin Lamps....AAAAAA for atmosphere and a very noisy leopard that some nights never shuts up as he coughs along the bush between camp ad the Olifants River. Good drives are down to Bangu Windmill one of the BEST waterholes in Kruger for atmosphere. There is a nice pride of resident lion we saw 13 together last time 1 km from camp. The camp attendant (forgotten his name and my ol man is busy with clients so cant ask him) is the best attendant..actually has every braai cleaned and washed!!! before 7am every day..hes really proud of his camp as we are of him. People like the Satara area south of Balule and it is nice but we also dig the area north right up to Mopani camp and the river areas along the Olifants River and Letaba River. Keep a watch for the Pair of Pels Fishing Owls between Balule and Olifants Camp along the river...Book a walk from Olifants camp and go see them ...I have seen them once but my boet and folks have seen them another time as well...Enjoy this gem of a camp

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Small and rustic , no shop or anything fancy , but great great atmosphere/adventure etc .

Bangu water hole is a must when staying at balule , and then further along to gudzani is great .
All the sand roads around the camp .
The sand road out towards roodewall .
Northwards along the sand just past olifants and up to letaba via engelhardt dam, then exploring about letaba camp , having breakfast there , checking out the ellie museum etc and back along the tar is a great drive .

What can I say , this area is a prime game viewing area , there are no bad roads to be taken from this camp .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next