Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: S90 Old Main Road
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been scanning a lot of my old slides and this is a favourite. I'm not precisely sure where it is, one of the river crossings on the S90, but not sure which. Does anyone recognise the spot?

The photo was taken on 9 March 1987.

Note: I originally posted this under Photo Themes: Rivers, but since no one answered my query, I thought that I'd post it here as well — and start a thread for one of my favourite KNP roads as well :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:00 am 

That is such a beautiful tranquil pic Arks, would love to just sit there for a while. :D
I'm afraid to say the S90 is a road that I'm not very familiar with, so can't help with your query. Hope you get an answer soon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Elsa! It may have changed a lot in 20 years, as when I drove that road last year, I didn't find anything much like what's in the pic. Those floods in 2000 "re-arranged" certain favourite spots quite a bit :( :wink: But I'm hoping that someone with a long memory might recognise this spot. Watery places also change depending upon rains/drought — consider what can happen with Ngotso Weir :shock:

Post subject: S90 OLD MAIN ROAD
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
hi Arks, I travel the S90 fairly often as it is part of my favourite route when staying at Satara. From the picture it looks like it could be one of two places. i.e. Where the Mavumbye crosses the road or a bit further on there is another stream which I do not have the name of.
Just by the way I have had good experiences on this road which include Cheetah, lion, rhino, buffalo and even a large python. For my money this is the best road to spot cheetah as the vegetation is ideal. This is in contrast to what many guide books say about this road!.

Post subject: Re: S90 OLD MAIN ROAD
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

adw wrote:
hi Arks, I travel the S90 fairly often as it is part of my favourite route when staying at Satara. From the picture it looks like it could be one of two places. i.e. Where the Mavumbye crosses the road or a bit further on there is another stream which I do not have the name of.
Just by the way I have had good experiences on this road which include Cheetah, lion, rhino, buffalo and even a large python. For my money this is the best road to spot cheetah as the vegetation is ideal. This is in contrast to what many guide books say about this road!.

Definatly the Mavumbye

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks adw and robertson! I'd "remembered" it as being nearer to Bangu, so may not have noted the Mavumbye water crossing, which appears to be 'across' from Gudzani Dam? I'll be sure to pay better attention next time I drive the S90 :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No problem arks
:wink:
Hope to see you on the S90 one day

Post subject: S90 or H1-4
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

Just want some input regarding which will be the most rewarding in terms of game viewing and scenery when traveling from Letaba to Satara... Note that it probably will be around 8-9 am when we will be traveling this road

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

dotdan, that is a difficult question. As you have seen, each and very one has a favorite road. We might advice on the tar road and when you get to camp, ppl will tell you about the wonderful sightings they had on the gravel or vice versa. :? I would suggest you wait until you are there, check the sightings boards and then make your decision.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes i always change my mind when i am there as you get influenced by sightings and other people's sights

I have driven the h1-4 manny a times and have always had good sightings, but want to know if the s90 has got something diff to offer in terms of scenery... it is a bit longer drive and want to know if it is worth it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm 

I'll second MG's comment.

Many years ago we were told of a lion kill on a young Wildebeest 200m from the intersection of s90 and H1-4.

We spent a long time there and then moved on later to do the rest of the s90. Never saw a thing. (OK grass, trees, grass, trees, ants and nothing of any value the rest of the round trip.

But then again we didn't see anything meaningfull on the H1-4 on the way back to Satara. Some days are like that, but KNP still rocks.

Are you only travelling from Letaba to Satara?

I read in one of the threads that the Bangu waterhole has had some interesting sightings, but can't recall how recent they were. Bangu is on the S90.

Remember DD, it's all luck really. Right place, right time. If some friendly KNP visitor hadn't told us about the lion kill on the s90, we would never have seen it.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there :D

OK...you wanted my opinion, well you will get it :wink: Lets get one thing straight, I may be going to step on some toes here, it IS all about personal preference and experience and so on, but I think that is a little bit over-emphasized lately, as some people just want to know about others experience etc....Really no offence meant here, just my personal opinion!

I would say, my preference is definately the H1-4! First of all, it has 6 waterholes ( including Ngotso, quite a good place for hippo's), compared to the s90's 2. Secondly, I have done the s90 three times in July.... and I saw a huge baboon (biggest I've ever seen), a giraffe @ bangu and 2 elephant in the distance. The H1-4 has produced rhino's on 3 occasion, and every visitor @ Satara will notice that rhino's are not very common there, aswell as a leopard, lions and loads of buffalo, kudu and a honeybadger!

One thing I admit, I personally think the s90 from the H1-4 up to Gudzani east waterhole is pretty good, saw loads of animals there, but the piece upwards I find bumpy and a bit silent. Bangu is rated as a good waterhole, so maybe other can prove me wrong!

Last edited by G@mespotter on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok, now Im home and have my map book infront of me...when you mentioned the S90 from Letaba to Satara I had one road in mind...but, there are several roads to get to the S90...once again IMHO, I would take the S46 as is runs along the river, depending on water at that time, then continue on the S93 to Olifants, have a nice breakfast overlooking the river....then continue on the
S92 to Balule and only then onto the S90 or as Gamespotter said, use the H1-4 from the S89 as you do have the waterholes...I can still remember some video being taken at Ngotso of a hippo being attack by lion...not sure when, saw it on "you tube"...but apart from the water holes IMHO again, not much happening on this road..also depending on your time, I would turn off the H1-4 onto the S127, go pass Piet Grobler Dam onto the S39 (I had some awesome sightings there of a lion chase) and onto Timbavati for a pitstop...then onto the S40 a sundowner at Nsemani Dam and 9km later you at Satara.....(Just wish my planning will go like this....unfortunately not...the first road I see, I want to go on.....much to my SO's dissapointment....maybe I should listen to him :redface: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Between 8 and 9 am, it will not really matter what road you take as you will be outside 'happy hour'.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Monne.. i appreciate your input.

"but I think that is a little bit overemphasized lately, as some people just want to know about others experience etc"

Just to comment on your opinion, i think people enjoy reading other people's experience's they have had on various roads etc.

I just wish more people could join the forum and give their opinion and experiences.

Maybe i will start asking about the S40 towards timbavati as i have heard good things about it? :twisted:

Anyway just my 5c worth

thanx all for the opinions[/b]