Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: S145 - Talamati Road
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:31 pm 

According to my older Jacana map, the S145 is closed to the general public. In the newer updated Honeyguide, there is no indication of such restrictions.

Is it better to go to Tamboti around this route, or the alternative to go straight up the S36 to the H7?

What is the condition of the roadlike now and what are the game siightings like now

Edit:

Appears I did not express myself correctly. The road used to be open only to those who had permits to stay at Talamati and not Joe Public.

Seems this has changed.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Last edited by BunnyHugger on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That road is far from closed, just the turn-offs to Talamati, Hoyo Hoyo and Imbali.
It's a great road to do, in fact I saw Sable on it last year. :dance:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BunnyHugger. Just confirming DuQues' comment - the road is definitely open. Condition wise I guess it will depend on the time of year and how long ago they worked on it. When we travelled on it in Sept. 2006, it was not in a very good condition, but in December 2007 the condition was excellent.

As far as game sightings go, I rate this as one of my favourite roads in the whole of the park from a big five perspective. We have only travelled it during two previous visits, but it gave is four different lion sightings, one special leopard sighting, lots of rhino, elle and buffalo and I know for a fact that lots of people have been fortunate to see sable on it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:15 pm 

Afternoon

Did the road early morning on 4 April 2008. Had to make an urgent loo stop at Talamati, there are no public loo's at Talamati but the guy at reception gave us the keys to chalet no. 2 to use the facilities. Many thanks to him. The condition of the road is not to bad. Rumour had a pack of wild dogs on the road and every Bush Jock in KNP was looking for them.

Saw Buffs, Ellies, Ground Hornbill, Bateleur and the normal impies etc.

The Sweni Road on the other hand IS IN A TERRIBLE CONDITION.

Had a great time in KNP. Tamboti is great!!!!!! :dance:

Lizzie O

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Looks like on of the fewer road in the Satara -Orpen area that is frequented by Rhino often 8)

Post subject: S140
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm 

Anybody travelled on the S140 recently ie: the road from Talamati to Rabelais dam/ Orpen ? This road is a continuation of the S145 and previously was rather dull. Would appreciate some feedback.

Henche

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Henche, IMHO also a rather dull road animal wise, although I've been told that Sable could be found on this road as well. We have however had the most wonderful sighting of Southern Carmine Bee-eaters on this road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Like all roads, this can be productive, but my party has seen rarer sightings on this road, like sable & honey badger. Your chances of white rhino & serval are also better than average.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:56 am 

It seems to be established fact that the road is either not well utilised or, there is not very much to see from a game perspective. (Maybe I have the wrong perception here).

What is the road like from a scenic perspective?

Is it better to do this one, or carry on straight and go past Nhlanguleni to the H7 to Orpen / Tamboti?

It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: s140
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:16 am 

Hi BH

The S140 certainly has no scenic value at all. I would therefore recommend you continue on the S36, have a snack at Muzandzeni and then join the H7 which is very scenic as it follows the Timbavati River. No doubt, when you get to Tambotie - you will hear about the Wild Dogs you missed on the S140!

Henche

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Sorry cannot advise you here. I have had good and boring rides on each one. Timing is everything. Go one way and return the other.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:14 pm 

Hey all!!

I agree with Bush Baptist to a point at least :) ... We have had many times where we have travelled along the s145and seen hardly anything but I must admit that the difference between the summer and winter months is drastic in terms of game viewing!

Have stayed at Talamati about 10 times in all (roughly 5 times in Summer and 5 times in Winter) and have found the road to be very productive in Winter, especially in th early morning! However Summer trips have yielded very little, except for a memorable sighting of a common reedbuck :D !

Traveled along s145 in July 2007 and encountered 3 lionesses and the biggest herd of buffalo I have ever seen with +350 individuals all around :mrgreen: ... we were told by the Talamati game drive guide that this was the second biggest herd of Buff's in Kruger :D !

So all in all a great road and was in a reasonably good condition in July last year!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:50 pm 

Thanks for that BA. (And everyone else).

When all is said and done, it gets down to one thing only. It is what happens when you are on that road.

The only way to experince it, is to do it for yourself.

I will have to drive it and experience it for myself. As much as I would like to have someone elses awesome experience, I can only have my own reality.

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:04 pm 

Hi DQ & Others.
Is it correct that the the S145 & S140 is ok for general public as long as we stay out of Talamati? Unless you are in need as LizzieO was?
We drove it in Aug.06 not knowing whether we were breaking a rule or not. We had seen 11 Sable at Mondzeni :clap: watering point & then saw very big herd of Ellies at Fairfield chasing away big herd of Impala. Nothing to report on the S140 to Orpen though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
The Talamati bit is only about 1km after a turnoff, and the rest is open to the public, unlike the Biyamiti road.