Skip to Content

Pretoriuskop Rest Camp Camping Info

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pretoriuskop Rest Camp Camping Info

Unread postby Stoffel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:03 am

Pretoriuskop is one of my favourites. The camping area (I gather that is what you actually need information on) is very nice. Nice big shady trees and quite level stands. Neat ablutions (like most camps in Kruger). I think Wildtuinman gave a very good description of the camp and game watching opportunities of the area.

In my opinion Pretoriuskop offers better campsites than Skukuza, where shady spots (especially needed in October) are not readily available.
Chris Boucher
8 - 14 May 2016 - Punda Maria
15 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 - 31 May - Balule
1 - 3 June - Maroela
4 - 6 June - Skukuza
7 - 9 June - Crocodile Bridge

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:07 pm

Hi Senyetse,

Not many people know this, the campsite in Pretorius is actually divided in 2 parts, take the one furthest from the gate..., we camped there, and its lovely (and abolution close by)

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:13 pm

I am sitting at Pretoriuskop at the very bottom campsite under the sycamore fig tree right next to the fence - wonderful!
The trip here from Malalane gate yielded several elephants, and the usual impala and a giraffe or two - and then a leopard crossed the road in front of me just before the Skukuza road junction.
It was 1.15pm too!
It stayed around the side of the road weaving between the bushes and I tried to reverse to keep it in good view but the caravan decided to do its own thing and defeated me!!!!
Still it was a great sighting, and one other car arrived before it disappeared into the deep shade behind a tree. Then just 15km later I saw a sable about 50m into the bush.
After setting up camp I went out again and saw 2 lots of rhino - one with a young calf.
The ballet classes for impala lambs are going well and they are bouncing gracefully everywhere.
Biggest disappointment is not being able to do a walk tomorrow - no one else interested!

Re: Primate Problem @ Pretoriuskop

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am

Rooie wrote:Good day all. We will be leaving for Pretoriuskop on 20 April 2012 and this actually came as a shock!!! We encountered lots off problems with Primates during our camping live and now I wonder if we should go??? :hmz:

You must go! Just do as advised and make sure you take all the necessary precautions. :wink:

We thought we had the whole thing of camping baboon proof totally waxed ... but they still beat us at it. You live and learn :P

A lesson that one needs to pack all food containers away, inside. (with windows/doors closed)

They are not interested in tinned goods :whistle: (even organic, the fussy things!)

They cannot open a strap around an ammo box ... but they will chuck the box around trying to.

Haspin staple also beats them ... but again the box gets thrown around and the contents become .... very messy :evil:

And welcome to the forums Rooie! :dance:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”