Senior Virtual Ranger

Where again?

Unread postby Muhammad » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:39 pm

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

S89 (near Balule.)

Unread postby adw » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:45 pm

In January 2006 I had the good fortune to see 2 cheetahs hunting impala on this road. although they were not successful it was an awesome moment. The general game (giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, impala) was also high. I will be going there again at the end of January 2007. Does anybody else have any comment on this road. regards.

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm

This is one of the best roads in the Park to get really close to hippo - especially if you film them from where the road goes past the weir. You are virtually level with the water and also at that point are a scant couple of metres from them! We have always seen very good game on this road as well as some of the biggest elephants. Siiiggghhhh no putty tats though. Will give it another bash in 9 days time when we are staying at Olifants!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Toddelelfe » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Oh yes, it is a great place. In december 2005 there were a lots of baboons in the trees over the hippos.
Many hyenas there too. It is very productive area, imho.
:hmz: Thinking about the next trip :hmz:
2014 TR from KNP

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Neigbour of mine in Olifants saw AWD hunt near the weir. I did not see them however, but always seen something good on this road.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

S89 (near Balule.)

Unread postby adw » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:45 pm

Further to my earlier comment on this road I again visited this road in Jan 2007. the animal life had changed completely. When visited in Jan 2006 there were numerous Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest and Impala plus of course the 2 cheetah. I thought this would be a good time to revisit this road seeing that it was the same month but a year later. What a contrast. There was hardly any game on the road including impala. Just goes to show you cannot judge a road on one visit only.

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 pm

awd, done this road during April 2006, saw spotted hyena, lots of hippo, about 50 plus ellies taken a bath, impalas, zebras, giraffe, steenbok, 1 lioness....
i will again visit the road during my stay at olifants and update you later on what the situation is.
BUT i do agree with you that the same road isn't the same on seperate occasions :roll:

bert

Unread postby bert » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Èven if you see very little this is still one of the most beautifull roads to travel. Saw a whole heard crossing the river in 1999.

Freda

Re: S89 (near Balule.)

Unread postby Freda » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:35 am

adw wrote: I must tell you that during my last trip (January 07)the Ngotso weir was bone dry so no chance of seeing any hippos.

We drove this road on Feb 7th and grass was growing in the bottom of the weir, did the same road 2 days later and the weir was full and the hippos had moved back ,amazing!

robertson
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby robertson » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:53 pm

VERY VERY VERY good for cheetah we saw three on it, and they were not shy.

Roller

Unread postby Roller » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 pm

We drove this road two years ago, in July. Stopped next to some zebras to let a car pass us( I hate having another vehicle in my rear view mirror constantly), but the car stopped behind us. A bit confused, we looked on the other side of the road and there were 2 cheetahs walking by!

Further on we found an injured lioness next to the road, and a young leopard trying to catch monitor lizards (little ones) at the weir-watched him for nearly an hour.

Needles to say, I'm quite fond of this road...

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby johanrebel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Stayed at Balule in February 2000 (floods, remember?). Had to check-in at Olifants, and then drive the long way round to Balule as the low bridge was under water. At the Olifants gate I was flagged down by one of the Balule room ladies, who wanted a lift back to camp. I was happy to oblige. En route she told me that she had been working in the KNP for 16 years.

As we were driving along that long straight stretch of the Ngotso Weir Road I say a lion stepping out into the road in the far distance. I casually made a remark about this to the lady next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I suddenly saw how she frantically started to wind up window, here eyes wide with fear! I asked what was wrong, and she answered that she was very afraid of lions. I tried to reassure her that she was perfectly safe in the vehicle, but as we approached the sighting the number of lions just kept on increasing. By the time we got there they numbered 17 in the road, with an eighteenth roaring next to the road just for good measure. I think the poor lady almost wet her pants, while I almost did the same thing trying not to laugh my head off.

I found it a bit puzzling that somebody who had spent 16 years of her working life in the KNP, many of them at Balule (which is a small camp where all sorts of predators walk along the fence) could be so deathly afraid of lions.

A memorable sighting on memorable visit to the KNP (which included 243 lions, amongst others).

Johan

cheetah2111
FAC Member (2013)

Re: S89 Ngotso Weir Road (near Balule.)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I have always found this road a bit quiet. In terms of general game and birdlife. Admittedly, I have never hit the road at the absolute best times. But still not the heat of day. One day when I stay at Balule I will give it the best time of day 8) 8) Never seen Ellies, Buffs, Rhino or Lion on this road. But one lucky morning after coming from Satara on the S90 I caught this Beaut in the act of sharpening its nails!
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”