Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:24 am 

Thank You Arks for explaining that to me in a friendly manner without making fun or posting silly tounge emoticons. I understand now and after posting the question realized that it was just the date stamp not changing. I apologize to those who felt I was stupid in asking the question...It has been awhile since i have observed the waterhole(s) (I had a car accident that put me into early labor and then had the baby and so I have been out for a bit) and I was a little lost and confused. I appreciate the explanation and will try to be more informed about all that has been posted before asking another question

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wild about cats wrote:
I think the cam gets stuck when we submit a highlight. It's stuck on the baboons now, unless it's just me.

The cam doesn't get stuck just because you submit a highlight :wink: , but what DOES happen is that once you have submitted a highlight, it then submits a(nother) highlight each time you try to refresh your page :? :evil: — or at least this is what happens to me. When I try to refresh after I have submitted a highlight, I first get the dreaded "repost" warning, which I don't (usually) get when I refresh my page, and then if I proceed, I get the message that I have posted a highlight. I think this may be what causes so many "highlights" of no activity.

Also, I'm sure many of us have on occassion clicked on the highlight button in error — I know that I have :redface: — and made a totally unintended highlight with no activity. The warning/thank you for posting a highlight comes up, but there is no way to cancel it, even tho you know that you've made a mistake. It would be great if this message could have a "cancel" button as well as the OK button. Admin, is this possible??

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KP&?mom wrote:
I apologize to those who felt I was stupid in asking the question...

Glad I could help, KP&?mom! As DB says, there is no such a thing as a stupid question here. The info about the date stamp not refreshing was explained to us "old timers" when the Satara cam first went online, but hasn't been explained since, and I'm sure this is something many of our newer members don't know about.

I"m very sorry to read about your car accident and hope that you and your baby are doing well now. We're glad to have you back with us! 8) Enjoy the cam (and try exploring the rest of the forum when the cam is down :wink: ) and please, never be shy about asking questions. As DB says, we were all shy newbies once and for me, it's the warmth and helpfulness of the other forumites that kept me sticking around, asking plenty of "stupid" questions, and eventually becoming an "old hand" who can even answer a few :lol: :wink:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:18 pm 

Quick question - when I refresh my screen (after sending a highlight) it sends it as a highlight to the forum picture. WHY? I really don't want to send a highlight every time I refresh my screen. :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

littlemar wrote:
Quick question - when I refresh my screen (after sending a highlight) it sends it as a highlight to the forum picture. WHY? I really don't want to send a highlight every time I refresh my screen. :?:

Why do you need to refresh your screen? So long as the cam is working, the picture updates every 30 seconds or so. You don't need to keep refreshing your screen to see the updates. The time stamp does not update with the cam unfortunately, and all you get by refreshing your screen is an updated time stamp, so there is really no need to continually refresh :wink: See my further explaination here

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi sureicount and Welcome!

Just below these messages you will find a highlight posted from the webcam. If you click on "Satara Webcam", that will take you to the main webcam page, where you will see all the action (when there is any). One thing to note, while the image does update every 30 seconds, the time stamp does not update, so don't think that the image is not refreshing just because the date does not :wink: Lots of new(er) members are not aware of this and keep refreshing the page (and posting "highlights" with no activity) because they think that the image is not updating. Enjoy the cam! (And during times when it's down, come back and explore the forum — lots of interesting discussions and info here! 8)

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: log in from cellphone
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 am 

Hi all,
This is addressed to admin. (not sure if there has been a discussion on this already). Since the problem started in Oct 06 with the whole log in story,I have been very disappointed. 95% of my use of the cam is through my cell phone. Before Oct I had a bookmark going directly to satara cam. reason being that the image comes up straight away on my cell phone using only 23kb. since oct, I have to log in every time i want to access the image,this first takes me to the "please log in" page 24kb, then to the actual log in page, another 24kb, then to the main forum page,another 37kb. then only to the satara image which is frozen most of the time to an image of around 8am where actual south african time is 2pm,which is another 24kb. in total using over 100kb to see an image which is mostly frozen. i understand that the camera freezes now and then,but that is not my concern. my concern is due to cell networks charging per Mb, it is costing me over 5 times more to access the same picture as prior to oct 06. since oct 06 i have drastically reduced my time on the satara cam because it takes a long time to do this process and is costing a lot of money! admin,your comment was that the satara cam was only for registered members to enjoy. loging in and going through a whole 5-10min process on your cell phone is not very enjoyable. i would think that every registered member would agree that mass observation of the cam is more valuable than access only to priveledged registered members,(with the frustration of logging in the whole time). would it be possible to do away with the whole log in process. you guys are doing a wonderful job and we all appreciate your hard work. (sorry for the long message) :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Whoaa Luiperd,

I'm sorry to hear about your online ordeal when connecting to the Satara webcam!

When Orpen webcam comes back online, you will be able to access that freely.

Now, I cannot say any more when Orpen webcam will finally be implemented without turning myself into an ***. But I'm so angry that I can scream, because the sub-contracted company, which was supposed to implement it, somehow managed to "burn" it out - a brand new camera! Now looking for a replacement...

Hi Arks,

I made a change in one of the settings that could possibly help resolve the auto-login. As I have written before and apologized on numerous occasions, I do not have a solution for this. The auto-login seems to work in most browsers, so as always it is the exceptions that are most challenging to resolve. Now I'm trying various options - with the intention to resolve this and so spare you this daily frustration. Will you observe the login function and let me know?

Hello sureicount,

Welcome to the forum!

Jose pretty much explained what I would have explained (thanks, Jose!), but I would like to just add one little detail: while we are striving to bring the wilderness to the www as best as possible, these "features" are only an addition to our core functions. Africam's core business is exactly that - live streaming from popular locations in the parks. This does not mean that we don't want to improve our service to you (as a matter of fact that is what we have been doing for the past 2 years), but we'll need to move within the given circumstances and not lose sight of the bigger picture.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

admin wrote:
Now, I cannot say any more when Orpen webcam will finally be implemented without turning myself into an ***. But I'm so angry that I can scream, because the sub-contracted company, which was supposed to implement it, somehow managed to "burn" it out - a brand new camera! Now looking for a replacement...

How utterly appalling, Nedret!!! :roll:

admin wrote:
I made a change in one of the settings that could possibly help resolve the auto-login. As I have written before and apologized on numerous occasions, I do not have a solution for this. The auto-login seems to work in most browsers, so as always it is the exceptions that are most challenging to resolve. Now I'm trying various options - with the intention to resolve this and so spare you this daily frustration. Will you observe the login function and let me know?

What's weird is that for the past week or so, sometimes I'm automatically logged in, sometimes I'm not. No pattern to this. Sometimes, altho I happened to be auto logged in when I first came on line, I get timed out after an hour. Sometimes, when I have to "manually" log in, I stay logged in until I go off line. So NO discernable pattern.

And I am no longer doing anything with cookies or cache, so it can't be related to any change I've made. Very puzzling :roll: I know that I could try a new browser, but I don't have time or patience for making any changes right now — and I really am a stick in the mud when I've got software I like and am very resistant to changes or upgrades :wink:

I DO appreciate all the efforts you've made to resolve this, but I also think that I am not at all the only person affected, just that most have stopped mentioning the problem and are just accepting the need to log in as the "new normal" for both the forum and the satara cam. I'm just persistent :tongue: :wink:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: Re: Questions & Comments about the cams
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Mgoddard wrote:
Did the cam changed?? I have been looking at ppl sitting at the restaurant at Satara, trees and a much better view of the watering hole.

Does anyone know?

Cant wait to be there in July...

Martie
From a cold and rainy Doha, Qatar (Middle East)

Hi Martie
The camera can be panned, tilted and zoomed remotely via our network. I now and then check if all is still working fine at the camera and change the angle a bit. Unfortunately the bandwidth to the camera is not suitable for doing this all the time!

Cam is back at its 'normal' angle again!
Enjoy!

Danie Pretorius
Manager: Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have been at Satara Camp last year. Just being curious, where is the cam located? Is it far away from the camp?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:39 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Nope, if you are sitting outside the restaurant you can actually see the cam. Have a look here. We did have an arial view, now where was that...

No idea, so I made a new one:
The webcam and such is at the arrow, the halfround bit of grass is in front of the restaurant.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Last edited by DuQues on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DQ, very interested in the chat about the cam, I can't open the aerial view but I thought when we stayed in Stanley last year we could see the waterhole? :? :? :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:03 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Check your mail.

From Stanley it would require a very strange set of eyes. From Wells Guest house you should have no trouble, especially at night...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the areal view. Now I know where it is, makes it more interesting watching, knowing the real position. Does the cam point in direction of the camp or to the bush? It was not there last October, was it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next