Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Webcam etiquette - review
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am 

Quote:
On the whole, I think there won't be a need to adapt the guidelines if we all stick to them in the first place.

:thumbs_up: Lionspoon ! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Lionspoon wrote:
What I don't really like is seeing doubles of the same frame. And there are quite a few which, in my book, indicates that there must competition going on. :(

:thumbs_up: :clap: Where are the smilies? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry to revert back to a much rehashed topic - Whoopsies on the bottom of the cam page, Mistakes do happen.

I agree wholeheartedly as this has also happened to me just when the cam has changed and I have overwritten an interesting pic with grass, (AND felt awful!). I never do this anymore without first checking the latest highlight at the bottom and then make sure that I capture the pic just after the cam has changed. This way I never overwright someth8ing more interesting and never get grass.

So, I have been watching for at least the past two weeks and noticed a trend of people who never post on the forum but DO consistently (and I mean consistently) download grass on a regular basis. I know that there is not much that you can do as these "aliens" don't visit the forum (or at least if they do, it is silent)

It frustrates me becaue I am unable to view any pic at all on the forum. Dont' go there Matthys as I have even got our IT people in and they have just scratched their heads. Nothing, Nada, no cricket, no highlights, no TR's no birds etc.

Because I am restricted from viewing pics I rely on the highlights at the bottom of the cam page.

There is nothing that u can do. I realise that except somehow block grass pics? Wishful thinking on my part. Some sort of restrictor that will only download a pic with warm blood in it?

Humble apologies Matthys for dumping my frustrations. I am probably only a drop in the Atlantic.

Jane

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:39 pm 

Every drop in the Atlantic - every forum member - is important, Jane :D
I can understand your frustration...it must be terrible to read about the sightings and not be able to see them !
Quote:
There is nothing that u can do. I realise that except somehow block grass pics? Wishful thinking on my part. Some sort of restrictor that will only download a pic with warm blood in it?

I am afraid that this is true...there is nothing that can be done apart from hoping that forumites will all learn the trick of not posting grass.
The problem is that forum members, who have not mastered posting at the daily sightings, are eager to be 'part' of the cam sightings and sometimes whoopsies happen.

I really hope that some IT whiz will soon solve your restricted viewing problem !

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 pm 

Yikes, I am one of the aliens you mentioned Jane :redface: Although I'm not a consistent offender :wink:

I inadvertently downloaded grass, twice in a matter of minutes, a couple of days ago. And yes, I did feel terrible about it. Fortunately warties and wildies appeared quite quickly and the situation was saved, much to my relief.

I clicked on "refresh" and a popup told me that the information would have to be resent and was this okay. I must admit to not thinking very carefully and clicked 'okay'. It was bad enough I did this once and I felt really bad when I did it the second time. :redface:

I am a SANparks lover and enjoy this forum very much indeed. I have made a couple of posts but must admit to being a little shy, and although I am a active member of another forum which does take up a lot of my time, I find it difficult to just "jump in" amongst a group of people who know each other very well. I imagine there are other people out there who have their own reasons for not posting on the forum whilst being comfortable in downloading highlight pictures.

Do enjoy all the pics, cams, and interesting threads very much indeed. Thanks All :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mod Matthys.

Sincere thanks for listening.

Have a super balance of Saturday..Jane

Christy - Loved your post. So well said. Your name is not amongst those I have observed though so you cansider yourself squeeky clean. Don't ever be shy on this forum. Although I post seldom the response has always been immediate, warm, friendly and so welcoming. The "golden oldies" (most not so old), welcome anyone who has a contribution. Try it Lady. You will see what I mean.

There is no such thing as an iner circle. You are going through what I did when I first joined up. The forum is so well established that you think you can never be part of it.

Bust the myth!!

jane

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Christy! :D
Warm welcome to the forum! You've smashed the ice so keep on swimming, will you? :wink:

Another 2c worth if I may:
Lets not allow etiquette and rules and things to overshadow what this forum means to us all. It's a break away from everyday stress and should be fun. Lets take a step back and be tolerant and supportive to one another, particularly those peeps who do not post. What is an empty picture to one is not always an empty picture to someone else.
Confession: I'm often guilty of posting that empty waterhole first thing in the morning. The cam threads are the first ones I visit, morning coffee in hand. It brings me so much joy to see the first rays of light over the places I so dearly love and a "Good Morning Africa" greeting makes it more so. If the greeting is not there yet, I often post it. Not because I want to see my name there (I have close to 7000 posts :twisted: :lol: ) or want the privilege of starting the thread but because I want to possibly give others the same warm feeling they give me.

What am I trying to say? Lets work together here, this is one of the best places on forum! Don't keep it all clinical, have some fun! I remember times when the Matthyssie and I were having posting wars! We rolled with laughter and could not wait for one another to log on. She is now a very good friend of mine, a friendship started right here at the cams. So just enjoy and focus on the good things, there are lots! :D

'K...... I'll step off the soapbox now! :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:37 pm 

Thanks Jen ! :D
Quote:
Not because I want to see my name there (I have close to 7000 posts :twisted: :lol: ) or want the privilege of starting the thread but because I want to possibly give others the same warm feeling they give me.

:thumbs_up:
Quote:
Don't keep it all clinical, have some fun! I remember times when the Matthyssie and I were having posting wars! We rolled with laughter and could not wait for one anther to log on.

I fondly remember that ! :twisted: :lol:
Quote:
Lets work together here, this is one of the best places on forum! Don't keep it all clinical, have some fun!

Yes ! Please !

Hope to see lots more of you, Christy :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 pm 

Not having read through the whole thread I'm certainly aware of the problem. Would it be possible for the Mods to quietly send a PM to repeat offenders and explain how to avoid "grass"? When the system of posting is made clear most people will avoid the Whoopsies (nice name, btw).

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good idea Mihto!

I once PM'd someone asking them (very politely), why they consistently posted pics of grass and they said they thought they were supposed to!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Eish......... :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A different angle maybe? I wouldn't be too harsh on Whoopsies and posting grass. I rely on the Highlights for each cam to catch the specials of the day. Is it really the end of the world if grass is posted? Even those make me sigh and wish I were home in the bush. 8) They get replaced soon anyway. No, I'm not guilty. :lol: Can't follow the webcams live much less post pics from my mobile phone. I check the threads when I get the chance.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:42 pm 

Quote:
Is it really the end of the world if grass is posted? Even those make me sigh and wish I were home in the bush. 8)

Me too, GP ! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 am 

For someone who has only spent a short 3 months in SA, and most of that in one place, it would be really nice if folks who posted a sighting would also identify the critter - if they know what it is, and if it isn't something that anyone would know, like a lion or zebra.

And now that I'm back home, I'm forgetting a lot of what I learned while I was there.

Right now, there's something at the Nossob camera, and to me it looks like a Husky dog - it's very dark, and the animal is not a large one, but it appears to have white legs, and ears, black for the rest, and a tail furled up with a white underside. I have absolutely no idea what it is I might be seeing.

And yesterday at the (I forget) camera, there was a large herd of deer-like critters that I couldn't think of the name of. Large an shaggy as a male nyala, but with a pronounced shoulder hump and very short curvy horns like a cow.

Thanks folks,
~marilyn

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:51 pm 

Hi Cybercrone,
Warm welcome to the cams and forum ! :D

If you need an ID of animal sighting posted, you can always ask in the Cam chit chat thread.
It is a great thread for general information needed about the cams.

Happy camming ! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next