Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Posting @ Highlights
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:07 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Yeah, but I'm safe... I have dispensation as I usually have to run around catching fowl or flies..... :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I'm digging up this thread again to make a suggestion: Why not, when posting a highlight that has been seen by others as well, just include their names underneath the pic(s)? It would be an act of courtesy and also would avoid same or similar pics of the same sighting on the highlight thread?

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm quite new here, but wouldn't it be better, if only the moderators put in pics. As there is a monthly highlight everyone can see all pics taken and only really good ones should go into the highlight topic. I know it is even more work for the moderators :redface: and it is only a suggestion.

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

To me it is simple. People should own up to what they do, and if they can, rectify it. Not hide behind a "but I'm so busy, there's no time to fix it afterwards." Then don't do it wrong in the first place!

- That means if somebody posts a double - delete it.
- And if the person is really so worried about getting their number of posts up, or of being visible to all others as always watching, hoping to get the award, or whatever other reason, then not delete it, but edit the pic out, and maybe even put a comment in there commending the other person.
- And, nobody really should post doubles. Easy to say, I've also done so and had to delete or edit. When you post but somebody else jumped in ahead of you, the software stops you and tells you that someone else has posted a new post in the mean time and maybe you want to review yours. However, if you immediately click <submit> again it will post, as the software doesn't check duplicates. In my opinion, for what it's worth, people who continuously ignore that message and just post are rude and inconsiderate - they either want their numbers up or to be seen (as per the above) and damn everybody else!!

As far as the highlights are concerned... also a path that we've trodden to powdered-dust in the past. It is not practical to say only this or that person or group can post. What is a highlight? Mine may differ from "yours", whoever "you" may be. Personally I sometimes find the lovely colours on the water exceptional, and would post that as a highlight, and the next person would think me totally daft! Opinions differ.

As far as Siobain's suggestion of also adding the others who posted... that's got merit, and I admit that I'm one that's not done that, never really considered it. Only problem I can see with that is that you're going to miss, and thus upset, somebody who also posted. Seen it happen... :roll:

I think, in the end, people should just be more considerate.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: Marius ... I totally agree with your clear opinion :clap:

... Sometimes, it's important to remember previous notes, ... Tilandi ... :mrgreen:

.. " Duplicate's a duplicate, and should either be replaced with a different one or removed - by the poster " ... as soon as possible ... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 pm 

Quote:
I'm digging up this thread again to make a suggestion: Why not, when posting a highlight that has been seen by others as well, just include their names underneath the pic(s)? It would be an act of courtesy and also would avoid same or similar pics of the same sighting on the highlight thread?

:thumbs_up:
Quote:
I'm quite new here, but wouldn't it be better, if only the moderators put in pics. As there is a monthly highlight everyone can see all pics taken and only really good ones should go into the highlight topic. I know it is even more work for the moderators :redface: and it is only a suggestion.

I don't mind the extra work :D , it might however come down to me doing what Bishop said :
Quote:
Personally I sometimes find the lovely colours on the water exceptional, and would post that as a highlight, and the next person would think me totally daft! Opinions differ.

I think it is time for me to get started on the polls for the Webcam Etiquette - review....sorry :redface: , I should have done that ages ago !

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Great idea, Matthys! :thumbs_up:

My post this morning in here was eaten by cyber devil. :doh:

My thoughts in short:

- I agree on the double posting
- Let's discuss it on webcam etiquette
- people might feel left out when their pic is not picked by a Mod for the highlights
- better to include most names who saw the sight than none.

Does it make sense?

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!