Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: NIGHT VISITORS
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been watching them them for quite a while, got some nice pictures of them. I was just asking Danie whether these could be the same buffalo who took a bath on Saturday! Seems like they are locals just like the Marabous. :D

Post subject: Re: NIGHT VISITORS
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

SANTIE wrote:
I didn't save an image as you couldn't see any clear detail. It could've been 2 Water Dikkop, the size is about right and they seem to have a lot of white on their bodies. Another question: Are buffalo territorial? Could the buffalo which were on cam a few minutes ago be the same locals who come to visit every now and then?

Hi Santie
The buffalo is non-territorial. They could have been the same buffalo seen earlier on the cam.

During the census conducted earlier this year, we could for example see from the helicopter that certain herds were still in the same area as the previous day. So yes, it is possible that the buffalo we saw tonight on the cam were the same as the buffalo we saw yesterday on the cam.

Danie Pretorius
Manager: Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Post subject: Re: Warthogs on Orpen webcam at 7:38 21/12/04
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:19 pm 
Guru
Guru

cdavis wrote:
4 warthogs and 2 marabou storks spotted on Orpen webcam at 07:38 am SAST.

Hi Chris
Nice to see the smaller guys on the webcam too!

Danie Pretorius

Post subject: Buffalo on cam now
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is so brilliant!
My husband and I got married in the KNP, at Pretoriuskop, in October. He is originally from SA and we have visited the Park together on a number of visits from the UK. It's a place which is very special to us - hence our decision to get married there. We try to visit Orpen on each trip. Such a lovely camp, and fantastic game viewing.
Can't wait to get back out there!
The new SA Parks website is a massive improvement on the previous site and can only contribute towards encouraging overseas visitors to visit the wonderful places which are a part of each South African's heritage. It always amazes me that people are prepared to part with mega-big bucks to stay in a private game reserve and be "guaranteed" to see the big 5. There's so much more to see than that. Don't get me wrong: I'd love the luxury that these places can offer, but there's something special in waking up each morning and thinking "Will I get to see that darn leopard today, maybe?". We saw three whilst on honeymoon in Kruger and had never seen any on our previous trips, and that made it all the more memorable for us. Other notable sightings were large numbers of Ground Hornbill strutting along the road near Letaba, Tsessebe, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest and Eland near Shingwedze, and huge numbers of banded mongoose playing in our garden at Skukuza. Shongololo's on the road, mating lions near Pretoriuskop on our wedding day, a pair of Knysna Louries feeding each other in a tree (also on our wedding day - very cute!)....I could go on, but there's too much to tell. I'm sure every visitor to the KNP has similar tales of wonder!
Anyway, enough rambling: keep it up, guys - you're doing a great, and important job. (Buffalo have gone now, sorry! :oops: )

Post subject: 3 Ol' Buffs at 15:00 Dec. 22
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

Strange,

My webcam was stuck at 14:xx for a long time, but then at 15:50, it started updating like it was in queue. I got all these images into my system and saved some very good shots of our 3 buff friends at 15:00-15:30.

There looked to be some antelope/Impala at around 14:55 as well.

Post subject: BUFFALO PARTY!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Seems like our friends are having their office party! We counted 11!

Post subject: wow, buff herd incoming at orpen 19h55 on wednesday
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:54 pm 

this should be fun to watch..lol lol

Post subject: Seems it's notBuff herd butpossibly the 9 or 10 daggaboys cm
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:02 pm 

who have been seen at times on AfriCam at the Gowrie dam on Vuyatela cam.
i know that for humans, a drive to Orpen from Djuma is only one hour..if one knows the shortcuts. lol
But would these daggaboys possibly wander that far..and how long, if anyone knows , might it take them to make that trip?
Yep, i realize there are lots of groups of daggaboys in SA and most likely not the same gang. But wouldn't it be interesting.
By the way, one of those daggaboys on AfriCam is very easily recognized, as he has a DOOR-KNOB on the end of one horn. i think it's the right horn. Will have to check my archives. LOL..i only have 6+ years of pics. lol lol ,including Orpen from when it started it's first day on the web on AfriCam, Feb 17, 1999. and Satara Cam from 19 Dec, 1998. wow, what treasures these pics are!!!

Post subject: Wed. 21h33 possible brown hyena 3 shots thus far nm
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:33 pm 

lgood shots

Post subject: thursday, 23rd, 16h14 Lovely impala group
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:14 pm 

arriving close to cam.

Post subject: To Chris Patton..thank you for the info re: brown hyena cm
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:21 pm 

it is sad to learn that they are believed to be extinct now in this area of the park. Thank you for the reply. I was guessing brown hyena from the light color of the neck area. We have seen many of the spotted hyena on the Orpen cam in the past.
Elaine

Post subject: Orpen Communication lines restored - webcam online again
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:02 am 
Guru
Guru

The telecom company eventually managed to fix the problem and all communication lines to Orpen are operatational again.

The Orpen Web camera is online again.

Happy camming!

Danie Pretorius

Post subject: Thnx Danie
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:54 am 

for being so dedicated and to those guys who worked on Christmas, it is appreciated

Post subject: Wow, a friend from SE sent me pics of breeding herd..18h40!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:38 pm 

I missed them live, but she said site apparently came back online just as a tiny baby ellie was crossing in front of cam following his Mum!!..There were many tiny babies with the herd !! I am sure that you will take good care of them, Danie...

i wish i knew how to add an image here in this posting? When i tried to drag a saved pic into the bed of this post, it showed my URL for location on my PC. I don't want to do that, ie invite others into my PC!!?? lol
Can someone give us some instructions.. i will now checkout your FAQ to see if any info in there on adding image to this. The ellie breeding herd was apparently there for a long 15 minutes judging by the time on the pics.

Post subject: I learned how to show images/pics on here
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:07 pm 

as soon as i have time i will post the elephant breeding herd pictures to my Clubphoto AfriCan albums site and will then post the public access URL here so all who want...can view them. These photos were all saved from your live cam by Yvo/SE, an AfriCammer who sent them to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next