Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:24 pm 

Here is another one I cannot ID. I am not even sure whether it is a Raptor. :redface:

I took these pics in 2004 in KNP, between Orpen Gate and Satara.
Could this be a Black Sparrowhawk?

KNP 2014
Berg en Dal 20 - 23 Aug 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014
Lower Sabie 5 - 9 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Looks like a Burchell's coucal to me, Nyala.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:35 pm 

Coucal? Yes, it could be that. I have just looked in my Sasol Bird Book.
Thanks Arks, and I thought it was a raptor! Well, I think I should just scrap that folder on my pc with the "don't know" birds. Next year in KNP I'll be concentrating more on taking notes as well as better profile and head shots.

KNP 2014
Berg en Dal 20 - 23 Aug 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014
Lower Sabie 5 - 9 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nyala wrote:
Coucal? Yes, it could be that. I have just looked in my Sasol Bird Book.
Thanks Arks, and I thought it was a raptor! Well, I think I should just scrap that folder on my pc with the "don't know" birds. Next year in KNP I'll be concentrating more on taking notes as well as better profile and head shots.

Hey Nyala, you're not THAT far off! Burchell's Coucal has small mammals and birds in its diet, along with reptiles, insects and eggs. It's only not a raptor because it doesn't seize prey with its feet, is my understanding. :wink:

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia wrote:
raptor
In general, any bird of prey, including owls. The raptors are sometimes restricted to eagles, falcons, hawks, and vultures (birds of the order Falconiformes), all diurnal predators that "seize and carry off" (Latin raptare) their prey.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:26 am 

I think this image of the Burchell's Coucal should illustrate your point JoelR :) (Captured on S28 04.09.07) After 'prepering' the kill it ended up with a good 'lump' of meat.

Blaise Pascal

Post subject: White-Browed Coucal?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:45 pm 

Hi!

I finally had time to go trough my photos from a trip to KNP (in last October) and found these. Was quite surprised to see that the other one looked like a White-Browed Coucal. Is it possible or is it more likely a hybrid or something? At least my book says that White-Browed Coucals are not supposed to be seen this far south.

Image Image

Pictures were taken somewhere near Satara. I think we were in a hurry at the time and I just took some pictures quickly. I'm not too familiar with South-African birds, beacuse I have only visited it once. That's why I didn't pay any more attention to this bird earlier.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Hi, Verre_

Your thinking that White-Browed Coucals are not supposed to be seen this far south in Kruger (around Satara) is quite right. Your pix do not prove otherwise either as the bird shown here is a juvenile Burchell's coucal. A white-browed coucal would've shown the fine barring on its underparts

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 pm 

Burchell's?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think you spot on LadyRaven, the barred flank and buffy white barred uppertail is present :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Burchell's Coucal
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And these?

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Re: Senegal Coucal
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 am 

Now I am confused. I was under the impression that it is a Burchell's Coucal. Is there any difference between the Senegal and the Burchell's Coucal?

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Tionet,
When and where did you see this bird? :wink:

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:04 am 

Thank you Jen for moving the post. :D

We spotted him/her in December 2008 on the H4-2 on the way to Lower Sabie. It was raining that day and this bird did not seem very happy about it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tionet wrote:

Now I am confused. I was under the impression that it is a Burchell's Coucal. Is there any difference between the Senegal and the Burchell's Coucal?

Hi Tionet, I don't think anyone ever responded to this question of yours...

The Senegal and Burchell's are VERY similar, and unfortunately from this pic it is not really possible to tell which one it is. Burchell's has a barred rump, whereas Senegal has a plain black rump. Unfortunately this was seemingly a shy individual who wanted to keep its rump to itself!!!

Based on the location (Lower Sabie region) I think you can based on distributions safely say that it is Burchell's Coucal, as Senegal is found in the far north of the park. But distributions also change!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Moegaai wrote:
Tionet wrote:

Hi Tionet, I don't think anyone ever responded to this question of yours...

The Senegal and Burchell's are VERY similar, and unfortunately from this pic it is not really possible to tell which one it is. Burchell's has a barred rump, whereas Senegal has a plain black rump. Unfortunately this was seemingly a shy individual who wanted to keep its rump to itself!!!

Based on the location (Lower Sabie region) I think you can based on distributions safely say that it is Burchell's Coucal, as Senegal is found in the far north of the park. But distributions also change!!!

Moegaai is quite right in ID'ing this one as a Burchell's Coucal. Just thought I'd add one or two things.

I can't remember exactly where (I think it was Biyamithi) and I can't remember exactly when but it was within the last year or so, someone posted a Senegal Coucal pic on these forums that had us scratching our heads. Most of us, including me, was quick to ID it as Burchell's Coucal based purely on distribution, even though no barring was visible. Tertius Gouws eventually put us in our place by confirming that it was indeed a Senegal Coucal, well out of range.

The other thing I wanted to add is that I suspect, and I'm not 100% sure of this, that the barring visible on the secondaries that can be seen on this bird is probably sufficient to ID it as Burchell's Coucal. My understanding is that Senegal Coucal is unbarred not only on the rump, tail feather base and flanks but also on the wings in contrast with Burchell's which shows barring on all these areas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next