Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balule (birding) Bash, 2013
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Thanks, naomi c. With KNP it is very difficult for me to get lifers as the birds that I need for my life list occur mostly elsewhere.

Thanks hilda, barryels, MM, Pumbaa and Ladybirder for leaving spoor... Your kind comments and compliments mean a lot.

I was now firmly aimed at the Berg-en-Dal gate and nearly missed this brown-crowned tchagra looking for a nesting site.

Booking in at the camp went smoothly and I was soon in my chalet (#6), not very far from the restaurant and shop. The Camp Dam had a lot of water in it and the walk up and down the path from where one can see the water produced some nice sightings: Purple-crested turaco (darn difficult photographic subject :wall: :wall: :wall: ), white-bellied sunbird, black-collared barbet and Levaillant's cuckoo. In a very thick bit of bush near the right-hand end on the "trail" I encountered both yellow-breasted apalis and green-backed camaroptera loudly chatting away. The skulky sombre greenbul gave its position away by its typical single high note call that is followed by a jumble of notes in decreasing frequency. On the water's edge the usual Hadeda, reed cormorant, blacksmith lapwing, Egyptian goose and water thickknee were present.

I saw this brown-hooded kingfisher had something big in its bill, but I couldn't fathom what. Later on in the bungalow, when processing my day's pix, I noticed it was a scorpion! Must be the equivalent of a special crayfish dinner! :lol:

I have seen little birds downing some unbelievably large meals in my time, but this one must hold some of its own challenges, with sting and all! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I was really enjoying the leg-stretch that the walk in the camp provided… Some 10 hours sitting behind a steering wheel truly puts a strain on one.

A female Bennet’s woodpecker landed close by, probably before noticing me and then tried to remain motionless in an attempt not to be spotted by me. Fat chance!

A little further along the Rhino trail which is a continuation of the walk along the dam, I found this very relaxed go-away-bird. I actually had to back off to enable the camera auto-focus, which means I was closer than 3.5 metres to the lourie!

The camp list continued to grow steadily: red-faced mousebird, bateleur flying overhead, fleeting glimpses of red-chested cuckoos (they were very active!), red-billed hornbill, Natal spurfowl and bearded woodpecker. By this time I was back at the start (the dam wall). So I did a second lap, with a brief stop for a beer.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
On the second circuit of the Camp I added wire-tailed swallow, noticing a pair feeding a fledgling that remained on the roof of the pump station while the parents collected food for it. Red-billed buffalo weaver, African pied wagtail, white-rumped swift and violet-backed starlings were now scattered additions along the walk. I alluded previously to the pair of novice birders and the Kurrichane thrush…

It was a particularly scruffy individual, and maybe that threw off the couple. I now noticed a tick on the face of the bird!

As I said earlier, meeting the birding greenhorns made me a bit nostalgic and the recall of those early page-turning days had me reminiscing about some very special sightings.

On the final traverse of the dam, I got a portrait opportunity of a bushbuck ewe…

The lady in red is dancing with me, cheek to cheek,
There's nobody here, it's just you and me,
It's where I want to be,
But I hardly know this beauty by my side,
I'll never forget the way you look tonight...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Johan, your pictures are just lovely... even the nasty tick. It certainly is the season for romance and nest building.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Johan
Thanks for all the lovely pics :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hope you found your way to the office after all :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:33 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Beautiful pictures Johan! I love the close-up of the Go-away-bird! Barry calls them my "hoenders" (chickens) because they scream at me early in the morning for a banana! :D

Beautiful portrait of the Bushbuck too! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

That is a beautiful picture of the Bennett's Woodpecker Johan. Thank you, I am thoroughly enjoying the thread.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sky wrote:
Hi Johan
Thanks for all the lovely pics :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hope you found your way to the office after all :D

I found my way, against all odds! :lol:

Are you back from Zambia or still on your way? Thanks for the kind words, Sky.

@ Hilda: You have go-away-birds in your coop? :big_eyes:

I am pleased to see one role player in the Balule Bash getting into this thread. Brenden will keep me from embroidering too much, I'm sure... :twisted:

Let me get on with the preamble to the Bash:

I was out of the gate first and off for the planned Pentad surveys to the west and north of Berg-en-Dal. Because of access roads to the Pentad west of the Camp being barricaded, I had to change tact and I spent more time in the Pentad containing Afsaal picnic spot.

Burchell's starlings are generally not shy when approached with care. They make good pictures when one gets a decent chance, so, true to me rule of not refusing a photo opportunity, this bird working the roadside got its image collected.

A little way on, this spectacularly coloured orange-breasted bush-shrike caught my attention with its song. After carefully scanning the bush, I spotted it, a little obscured, but still collectable.

Last edited by Johan van Rensburg on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lovely pics and a beautiful one of my favourite Orange-breasted Bush-Shrike. A very shy bird to photograph. Well done. :clap: Also enjoying the narration. :)
Keep it coming. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just catching up with you adventures, JvR, but did your bee eater get washed away? :wink: :whistle:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Keeping it coming, Tilandi... :lol:

Amethyst sunbird seen on the S120 about a kilo off the Malelane Skukuza road was my second KNP "lifer" of the trip. I didn’t get photos of it, though. Poor light and black birds are never friends…

At Renosterpan the trip’s first African harrier-hawk flapped along low amongst the trees looking for a meal. Along the access road to the Pan, this white-fronted bee-eater showed evidence of the damp day.

Red-crested korhaan seemed more regular than normal with 10 sightings and more on some days.

Other noteworthy birds were golden-breasted bunting, yellow-throated petronia, yellow-fronted canary, and a dark chanting goshawk. On another run to Malelane Gate I saw the Eurasian Hobby again. A long shot, but evidence…

These migrating raptors start to arrive in September to spend the European winter in Africa south of the Sahara. They return to Europe in April and May, taking around fifty days to do the migratory trip one way, flying on average 170 km per day.

Unlike Amur falcons that the hobby superficially resemble, they are not exclusively insectivorous, actually taking more than half of their food in the shape of small birds.

Flowers started popping up after the wet spell.

I’m sure someone will know what we are looking at here. For now I’ll take a flyer at some type of Gladiolus…

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:59 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
@ Hilda: You have go-away-birds in your coop?

:lol: :naughty:

Beautiful pictures of all these stunning birds. The Orange-breasted Bush-shrike is awesome! :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately I couldn't find those lovely pink flowers in my illustrated guide. Those that look like it should not be in flower now and is not in the correct area either. Must try and find a photographic guide..

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I headed back to camp early. The rain had become the heaviest it has been and photography was now very difficult. I decided to work a bit on downloading photographs before dinner which I had indoors. As there was no view to make the Apple Leaf fare bearable, I ordered glass of house red to do that trick… :lol:

My firm intention was to get the purple crested turaco shot the following morning.

It was still raining a little Monday morning. I started a walk around the camp fence as soon as light allowed me to see where I was going. I got both white-browed scrub-robin and white-browed robin chat working for insects in the lights illuminating the footpaths. A greater blue-eared starling also used the same tactic hunting. It was a little more accepting of my presence though…

I was walking along the fence when some weird sounds coming out of the undergrowth on the camp-side, interspersed with a sharp “snap” from the fence, confused me. From the underbrush came a singular, slowly repeated, oo – oo – oo, then “snap” from the fence. Initially I thought it must be a combination of some tree frog and maybe popping seeds (due to the rain!?) In the dark it took me a while to spot the southern boubou working the undergrowth. OK! Now for solving the snapping sound…

I am very proud of this achievement! :dance: :dance: With my limited hearing figuring out that the snaps were the electrocution of a red roman is no mean feat! More about this animal at a later stage…

A scarlet-chested sunbird, golden-tailed woodpecker and African hoopoe helped to pass the time while I waited for the light to improve. By 07:00 I decided to try for the turaco shot. I could hear them calling all over the camp. Three hours later I gave up. I though if I got a lucky break, there may be an image that I could use, but no flight shot…

The lucky break…

Usually you can only see those crimson primary feathers when the bird flies, a magnificent sight to see those reds flashed, but I got lucky here... You can just see the crimson panel of primaries. The turaco is very difficult one to get flight shots of as the thickest bush is where they keep. There is always a leaf, twig or branch around for the camera auto-focus to be side-tracked, searching and not finding what it is supposed to. Getting a flight shot is the ultimate trophy... One day...

The green and red colours in turacos are due to copper-based pigments, unique to turacos. To maintain the reds and greens require large quantities of copper that the turaco is able to accumulate through a diet rich in fruits, flowers, buds, and other plant matter.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a stunning bird the Turaco is! Awesome picture too Johan! :clap: :clap:

Electocuted Red Roman! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do love your lucky break, as for the deadly electrocution :big_eyes: I would not have liked that critter to have reached my pillow.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next