Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balule (birding) Bash, 2013
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And here I'd thought that there were no springboks in KNP :hmz: :whistle: (And for us non-Saffies, can you explain this 'springbok'?)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I see there is some confusion regarding the occurrence of Springbok in Kruger. Let me set any confusion aside - there is no doubt that Springboks have been found, yet, they are rare and its is a highly sought-after sighting. The Bash team was however very lucky in sighting a heard around Balule. On recalling the trip I can confirm that Springbok and the fabulous Jackal-berry Cuckoo, which was seen around the Mooiplaas picnic site, count among the special sightings for the trip. The Jackal-berry Cuckoo was a lifer for the whole group :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And it looked like very special Sprinbok

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Well done to Mama Pooh :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it looks just wonderful.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
arks wrote:
And for us non-Saffies, can you explain this 'springbok'?

Named after our National Rugby team (World champions in 1995 and 2007), whose colours are green and gold, the Springbokkie is a popular shooter made by carefully pouring Amarula onto a peppermint liqueur so that the two remain separate (green and gold). One of these will hit the soft spot. Two make you hug a scorpy! :lol:

Last edited by Johan van Rensburg on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the explanation JvR. Springboks aside -back to the Jackal-berry Cuckoo.

While the Bash group were quietly training their binoculars on the large fig tree across the river from the Mooiplaas picnic area, Mr. Bird standing at our shoulder recalled every bird name he could (and some which he could not) remember..........Brown-headed Parrot, Green Pigeon, Black-headed Oriole......Kurri(?x&*) Thrush and Jackal-berry Cuckoo. A lifer for sure..... :tongue:

Anyway - he was/is trying hard. He's got a good bird book, has started a list of sightings and he is trying to help visitors as best he can. I would rather have this than the bloke at Afsaal a year or two back that told me they had never seen owls in the vicinity. Credos to this guy at Mooplaas for trying and I hope he goes on to become one of those legendary local birders.........with or without the Jackal-berry Cuckoo :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Before JvR throws me off his TR.......

The eventful story of the warthog bolting from its hole with a earth shattering "roar" a midst the Bash group while we were walking on the final day was accurately narrated by JvR. The part he missed is how some of us (me), tried frantically to climb to the upper branches of the closest 4-foot tree, only to be poked in the ribs by one of the protruding branches - not as a result of my poor climbing skills, but as a result of sharing the tree with a fallow Basher :D

On a more serious note - it was later on that walk that we came across the anti-poaching personnel, the poacher's water bottle and the blood stained cloth that was written about earlier. I'm not sure if there is a forum policy about posting photos of these rangers, but I want to share this with you as a picture of one of the unnamed hero's out there.
The text I wrote with this photo on another social media platform:

No............this is not a photo of a soldier in some war-torn country crippled by some political or ideological differences, land grab, disagreement, disrespect for human rights or genocide.

This is what I saw in our own Kruger National Park. I was lucky enough to briefly walk in Kruger over the past weekend. Two rhino were poached close to where we were on the night before my arrival. Another was shot close to where we were walking on my second day in the park. Heading towards the spot where we had seen vultures rising from a distant carcass we were turned around in the bush by this gentleman. The military had also deployed in a number of other areas and although I have always been shocked by the poaching, I think the reality of the situation has not hit home for most South Africans. I want to silently salute this man and his colleagues. It was well on its way to 40 degree C when we came across him as he was gathering evidence before heading off with another ranger to deal with the situation. Difference is that after another hour or two of walking I had a icy drink waiting in the vehicle that took me back to camp....a cold shower, snacks and luxury, while these guys were out there in the sun fighting a war for our rhino....hot, tired, away from their families, staring ruthless poachers in the face and under fire (literally).

By now we are all a bit punch-drunk with all the anti-poaching media and the save-the-rhino campaigns, and personally, I am not always sure which of these make sure that these soldiers are supported and honored. Be that as it may, I have had a reality check and the cliche phrase of "this is a war" is as true as toast. Perhaps I should end by sticking my head out there and saying: if the political will was really there to deal with this war, the picture may have been different.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With the tensions and mixed emotions from the poaching incident tangible in our walking party we found a small shady spot along the drainage line on the way back to the vehicle. Although only a few feet wide, the drainage line had formed some deeper pockets of shaded water and the presence of a single irritated hippo in one of these could never be ruled out. Brendan and John (second rifle) walked close to the water to scout the situation before we sat down in the shade for a break. Necked peering up and down the drainage line with some group members also scouting.........dushhhhh. After a feisty warthog and the poaching drama, this loud splash in the water was all it took to have some Bashers again going into adrenalin overdrive and one was looking for a 4-foot tree to climb :redface:

Damn water-monitors!!!! This one was siting aloft the small pocket of water and announced himself with a splash as we stood beneath the same tree. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To break the somber mood from the poaching incident, Brendan (our legendary guide) went fishing........baboon spider fishing to be precise. With a blade of grass as bait one can coax one of these guys from their hole with some degree of patients.........

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was on the way back from our swim in the Olifants that afternoon that we came across this Great Spotted Cuckoo. Worst photo you'll find on the forum, but my first pic of this species. Cool species if you consider that its brood hosts include crows and starlings..........

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Waterbuck wrote:
Great Spotted Cuckoo... Cool species if you consider that its brood hosts include crows and starlings..........

Crows! :shock:

I didn't know that! I would have thought crows are too clever to be fooled into believing a cuckoo chick is its own. Yet, Roberts tells us that crows are the major hosts in SA with more than 10% of nests hosting a GC chick, both pied and Cape crows being duped!

As you say: Cool bird! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its a pity I only took pics of the dinner table every night and not of the food (probably because I was so tucked up in eating it) :lol:. One cant see much of the fairy lights in the tree, but I was witness to Mama (Pooh) Africa herself scaling this tree to hang them. :whistle:

Well, this was the setting under the stars on the last night of the Bash. For those of you that haven't done a Balule Bash, you really need to get onto one of these. I am not sure how the internal arrangements work, but I am sure if you keep contact with JvR, he will provide you with the details. And if you are considering it, just remember that there is already one fewer spot that can be taken up - my spot :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Let me end my formal contribution to the TR with pics of the two Kruger locals. I know you've seen hundreds of these on the forum, but they will always symbolize Kruger for me.

On that note I once again want to thank Johan for the TR and the arrangements he made, the fallow Bashers for their company, John and Brendan as our great guides, the HR's for all the arrangements and for pampering us like little spoilt warthogs and especially Mama (Pooh) Africa. I'll be back........

Thanks Johan for allowing me the space to add my inputs to the Balule Bash TR - over to you to close out.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for your contribution to this trip report Waterbuck! Great pictures of the Fish Eagle and Bateleur! :clap: :clap:

The table looks great! And I love Pooh Bear's outfit! :dance: :dance:

That ranger looks very serious! As you have said, they don't have the comfort of a cold drink or nicely prepared food at the end of their day! I take my hat off to them for the great work they are doing in trying to protect our Rhinos and other animals! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks JvR and WB for explaining about the KNP springboks. Sounds like an extraspecial sighting indeed! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next