Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balule (birding) Bash, 2013
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Thanks saraf and arks for your continued attention.

Tilandi wrote:
I just love the Black-bellied Bustard when it makes it's sound. Whoooop ............. pop!

:lol: :lol: To me it sounds like a frog: on the first sound it is a quizzical "huh?" then the following note: "coo-wick!"

hilda wrote:
Have you ever been chased by an Ellie? I mean, really chased? An experience I don't envy anybody! :lol:

Once as a result of stupidity / ignorance. I got away unscathed, but have since then learned to read the situation from a long way off. It is just idiotic to ride your vehicle right up to any ellie and expect the same reaction of them making way for you every time. Anyhow, that is a discussion thread in its own right...

Ladybirder wrote:
we all will do some planning before leaving for KNP next time.

:thumbs_up:

Brenden wrote:
I am shackled to my desk and forced to write.

So many things I can think of doing while sitting here. Madagascar Cuckoo and Brown-throated Weaver just for starters and then so many more to add to my KNP list in the far north. :wall:

I have the same frustrations... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should further complicate matters by writing a bit more in this thread! :twisted:

I have a few mates that are true wildlife photographers, fellows that would stake out a specific place where a specific animal may be living/breeding/hunting to get that special cover shot that causes that WOW! moment for the viewer. I know the basic requirements of getting such a shot, but the one ingredient in that recipe that I don’t ever have enough of is patience…

The light was just perfect, the perch was at the right height, maybe a little too far off, but what-the-heck… I was going to nail that roller in a classic open-winged pose, either landing or taking off. I set up and waited. Every now and then I checked all the camera settings. Every now and then the bird squawked, but nothing else happened. My eye started to water from peering at the bird through the viewfinder without blinking. Eish! I tried to mentally force the bird off its perch.

Then it stretched.

Got that. :hmz:

“Squawk!”

Yes! Same to you.

I left. Two “lifers” waited for me just around the corner…

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Your photo's are stunning, all of them - almost three-dimensional! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sooo enjoying your report!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Brilliant shot of the stretching Roller Johan! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:25 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Johan don't know how I missed this one. :slap:

Had a great time catching up though. :dance: ...amazing sightings and superb images of all. :clap: :clap:

More please :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Johan don't know how I missed this one. :slap:

Had a great time catching up though. :dance: ...amazing sightings and superb images of all. :clap: :clap:

More please :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks for joining this bunch bashing Balule, Trrp-trrrrrrrr. Your addition to our readership numbers officially makes this trip report more popular than the Jacaranda Breakfast Show! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you enjoyed the roller, hilda. Like with the PC turaco, a roller taking off or landing still remains on my wishlist.

naomi c, I'll try my best to keep the entertainment levels high... :thumbs_up:

It feels a bit creepy to me reporting about the meet with DinkyBird and Hawk at Tshokwane Picnic Spot considering the trials and tribulations those two bush disciples are going through currently… I have had very little news about how they are coping after they had to cut short their KNP visit only days after our get-together at Tshokwane due to their house getting caught in the unseasonal Western Cape floods. Before I started writing this part of my trip report, I felt rather uncomfortable not knowing that they are OK. I requested an update from a “source” and have been assured that they have the situation comfortably in hand.

I pulled into the parking area minutes ahead of schedule and found DB and Hawk already standing there waiting. With me flying a large yellow scarf as my ribbon, there was no way for them not to realise immediately that a very proud and excited ‘mite has just arrived. Large smiles all round meant we were all pleased to finally meet. A few years ago we came close to pulling off a meet in the Western Cape, one I had to scuttle after getting stuck with car trouble in the West Coast National Park.

Meeting ‘mites of the stature of DinkyBird (‘mite since 2004, 91st member to join the forum, a long-standing moderator, over 40 000 posts) and SO Hawk (a little less prominent presence on the forum as a ‘mite but sharing an equally deep appreciation for Nature) for me, turned out one of the coolest and most enjoyable occasions in recent times. We settled at one of the tables under a shady tree and started just talking, sharing and showing. (Had some breakfast and coffee that DB arranged during the meet – wonderful female skill to cater while you kuier!)

Hawk showed me a very special video clip that the two of them teamed up to make of a red-crested korhaan mating ritual. I posted a little earlier about the ingredients required to produce a hit… They got it spot-on with this video.

Time is the enemy when you enjoy yourself. Two hours had flown by and if we didn’t call a halt, another two would have flown by as rapidly.

Thank you to two super ‘mites for taking time out of your precious Kruger spell to meet.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:11 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
So glad you enjoyed your breakfast and meet with DinkyBird and Hawk Johan! I really hope that we will also one day have the privilege to meet those two 'mites! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
More stunning pics Joh, but none of you and your latest 2 lifers?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Bush Baptist wrote:
More stunning pics Joh, but none of you and your latest 2 lifers?

BB, the photo-thingy is not high on my priority list. Can you show one with you, WTM and me? :twisted:

If the DB and Hawk insisted, (or, for that matter, anyone else during a meet) I would have done (would do) the "CHEEEEESE" bit with them. But for a whisper that I didn't catch too well, nothing about :cam: was said...

hilda wrote:
So glad you enjoyed your breakfast and meet with DinkyBird and Hawk Johan! I really hope that we will also one day have the privilege to meet those two 'mites! :clap: :clap:

Privilege indeed...

Last edited by Johan van Rensburg on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am so pleased that you were still able to meet with DB and Hawk. I do :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: that they recover from the latest disaster without too many setbacks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:02 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Stunning black-bellied bustard and Pallid Harrier in flight Johan :clap: :clap: .

If that was not special enough, the roller came along with its beautiful colors to take over the show :dance: .

Thanks for sharing your stunning :cam: with us :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Thanks Barryels and Meandering Mouse.

The slow drive up to Satara was rather uneventful. In fact, it was a little disappointing, like the low-level Leeupan that I went to first before tackling the road to the north. It held none of the usual specials one expects to find there when the pan is full. At the current low levels, nothing unusual showed up. A saddle-billed stork landed nearby for a quick look at me, then moved off to the opposite side of the pan.

It was another scorcher. Midday driving in the heat happened with one eye open at a time… I guess I missed quite a few birds!

This kudu with its widely spaced horns in amongst some thickets caught my eye and made me reconsider what I was told as a youngster: narrowly spaced horns indicate it is a bush kudu and widely spaced horns that it is a plains kudu. I have seen both in habitats that are atypical, so I’m now thinking those childhood “teachings” were just bush legend…

Because they are diurnal, common reedbuck are not often seen in KNP as most sightseeing takes place during the day when these antelope will normally be hiding out amongst the tall grasses or reeds fringing a wetland. This ewe was a very welcome sight on the crawl north.

Satara Camp provided the next trip ticks with mourning doves and a lone Woodland kingfisher, my first Woody for the trip.

The afternoon was spent shopping and walking around in camp. I was going to light a fire on this final night that I had to cater for myself...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have already mentioned that it was a little mistake...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 am 

FAC Member (2013)
:congrats: Well done !! :clap: :clap: Sighting of the Year - Birds: Johan van Rensburg Pel's fishing owl :great:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

We haven't seen it yet!

Must be for last year's... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

We haven't seen it yet!

Must be for last year's... :dance: :dance: :dance:

:lol: :lol: Yip and so it was. :dance: ... :pray: You do see another one soon. :hmz:

Beautiful Kudu :cam: :thumbs_up:

Stunning pic of the Reedbuck... :clap: :clap: detail is amazing can almost count each hair.. too beautiful. 8) :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JvR,

Where did you see the Reedbuck?
(Sorry to go off topic)

Great photos. :cam:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next