SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Niall wrote:
Or juvenile Pale Flycatcher, I would expect that to be more common around Pretoriuskop.

I wouldn't try to distinguish between the various juvenile flycatchers myself at this point, but I wondered about a juvenlie Marico flycatcher in the Kruger....I haven't even ever seen an adult one in those regions....

I'd have liked to be able to second that Pale Flycatcher, but I can't find it in the useless field guide I have with me at the moment :evil:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It has gone through some name changes, otherwise known as Pallid Flycatcher or Mouse-coloured Flycatcher, Melaenornis pallidus, or Bradornis pallidus

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

According to SABAP's maps the Marico was recorded in the lower part of kruger.

I have so far found 3 of them that the juvinile looks very similar.
Chat, Marico and Pale.

The fiscal is not far of.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Post subject: Flycatcher, Pale
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:35 pm 

Pale Flycatcher / Muiskleurvlieëvanger / Bradornis pallidus

Seen at Phabeni Gate (KNP) in February 2011.

Habitat: Broad-leaved or mixed woodlands

Behaviour: Waits silently on hunting perch and then snatches insects from the ground

Post subject: Re: Flycatcher, Pale
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
These are fantastic shots. Some of the best I have seen of this bird. Well done. :thumbs_up:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

Hello all

I have been working this weekend on the birds of Ndumo. I know two people who responded to my first message pointed that it is always best to have sharp clear photos front and back. Now here is my problem. This bird I got after running like mad across the camp (hiding suitably to not spook the bird) till I got close enough for one quick shot. It is only front and not really close. However, I have had a try at IDing it.

Hello to Bush Baptist - sorry I was far too rude about the Cape and its few species. I have acess to two farms here in Paarl and my lists aren't too bad actually! Join me out in Paarl one day for a trip to both farms!

The GISS is shrikey, the size was quite big, all over grey with large eyes, range is OK leads me to suggest Grey Cuckooshrike (540). Am I being mad? I could not get close enough to see anywhite around eyes. The bird was silent.I put myself out on a limb with my earlier Lesser Honeyguide and no one has said no to that yet!

If only all birds were fed a diet of Prozac, Xanax, Librium and Amarula they would be so much easier to photograph! Anyway, can the fundis help me with this one and the earlier tentative ID of lesser honeyguide?

In Ndumo I did a guided walk with Sonto and was that a treat! Having a birding guide (with just me and SO) walking in a magical forest - the guide calling up bird after bird. I also discovered the great advantage of a such a guide - he knows after 31 years of service there where to find all the birds and how to call them! But that forest was beautiful beyond all description.

Before I become too lyrical here is what I think is a Grey Cuckooshrikefor the reasons above. The fundis are welcome to shoot me down - there is no faster way of learning than from making mistakes on a public forum!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

HI Pete

I really like your description and you are definitely on the right track in terms of how to ID birds going forward :thumbs_up:

BUT, this is not a Grey Cuckooshrike unfortunately, I cannot give you a 100% correct ID, but to me it looks like a Familiar Chat.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm 

Hi DotDan - thanks for the help.

I accept that the second photo will have to stay a mystery as it is in essence a bad photo and if one cannot postively ID then it doesn't count. Don't worry - it gives me added voomah to go looking again!

I am at present scratching my head over a cisticola - I will put it on the LBJ page when I finally decide which I think it is - I have narrowed it down to four possibles at the moment.

Keep well
Pete

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
pnm wrote:
Hello all

I have been working this weekend on the birds of Ndumo. I know two people who responded to my first message pointed that it is always best to have sharp clear photos front and back. Now here is my problem. This bird I got after running like mad across the camp (hiding suitably to not spook the bird) till I got close enough for one quick shot. It is only front and not really close. However, I have had a try at IDing it.

Hello to Bush Baptist - sorry I was far too rude about the Cape and its few species. I have acess to two farms here in Paarl and my lists aren't too bad actually! Join me out in Paarl one day for a trip to both farms!

The GISS is shrikey, the size was quite big, all over grey with large eyes, range is OK leads me to suggest Grey Cuckooshrike (540). Am I being mad? I could not get close enough to see anywhite around eyes. The bird was silent.I put myself out on a limb with my earlier Lesser Honeyguide and no one has said no to that yet!

If only all birds were fed a diet of Prozac, Xanax, Librium and Amarula they would be so much easier to photograph! Anyway, can the fundis help me with this one and the earlier tentative ID of lesser honeyguide?

In Ndumo I did a guided walk with Sonto and was that a treat! Having a birding guide (with just me and SO) walking in a magical forest - the guide calling up bird after bird. I also discovered the great advantage of a such a guide - he knows after 31 years of service there where to find all the birds and how to call them! But that forest was beautiful beyond all description.

Before I become too lyrical here is what I think is a Grey Cuckooshrikefor the reasons above. The fundis are welcome to shoot me down - there is no faster way of learning than from making mistakes on a public forum!

I'd go with a bird I still need to get a photo of: Eastern Nicator.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

pnm wrote:

This is a Pale Flycatcher, the distribution fits and the bird has uniform breast colours and a tiny bill. It also helps that I just visited Cape Vidal and Mkuze, and saw quite a few Pale Flycatchers. :lol:

Post subject: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shot this bird in Ndumo last week and am unable to ID it. Perhaps you guys & ladies can assist?

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Huntsman, the bird is a pale flycatcher (my call is based on the buffy underparts, facial mask, especially the lores and mousy colour uppers).

Post subject: Re: Flycatcher, Pale
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger