Skip to Content

Warbler, Cinnamon Breasted

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

Lonehill_Birders

Warbler, Cinnamon Breasted

Unread postby Lonehill_Birders » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:31 pm

We're planning a visit to Augrabies NPark at the end of April. I see in SABAP2's listing of pentad 2835_2015, there are 2 records for Cinnamon Breaster Warbler. Has anybody seen this bird at Augrabies, if so, I would like to hear from you, as this is one of my target birds of our trip, together with Stark's, Schlater's Larks, Rosy-faced Lovebird, Namaqua Warbler, etc. (time of year, and approximate location would help tremendously)
Lonehill_Birders

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Re: Cinnamon Breasted Warbler

Unread postby wildtuinman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Lonehill_Birders,

I haven't been to Augrabies yet, but I am sure that it is quite a good spot for your target birds.
However I have seen both Cinnamon-breasted Warbler and Namaqua Warbler in December nar the Karoo NP. So if you don't get it at Augrabies, all is not lost as you should get them near Karoo NP.

An added bonus: Schlater's Lark can also be found near Karoo NP.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Lonehill_Birders

Re: Cinnamon Breasted Warbler

Unread postby Lonehill_Birders » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks WTM, I have had quite a few pm's from kind people who have given me tips about finding the CBWarbler. I am hopeful that we'll be lucky. :)
We'll have to visit Karoo NP another time - found Namaqua Warbler there before, but Schlater's is also still on our wish-list.
Lonehill_Birders

Lonehill_Birders

Re: Warbler, Cinnamon Breasted

Unread postby Lonehill_Birders » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

We arrived back from our trip to Mokala, Augrabies and Kgalagadi TFPark, and I am very pleased to add the Cinnamon Breasted Warbler to our life lists. (Thanks to Johann and other kind 'mites who gave information).

Birding was excellent despite the migrants having left (although there were still some Swallows around)

We had fantastic sightings of raptors large and small, flocks of Larks on the dune road to KTP, lots of Burchell's and Namaqua Sandgrouse, Secretary Birds by the dozen, and as many Kori Bustards.
Another highlight of our trip was in the form of another "lifer" namely Booted Eagle, at Polentswa.
Lonehill_Birders

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”