Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Penant-winged Nightjars at Punda
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 am 

We'll be staying at Punda Maria on the nights of 27 and 28th December, and would love to try and find the Penant-winged Nightjars (again - last year was unsuccessful). Would the sunset drive be the best, or should we rather book the night drive which leaves at 7pm? It's still quite light by then, so we're not sure what to do. Our night drive at the same time last year was spoiled by a group of very vocal tourists and a disinterested replacement driver for our vehicle, who fell asleep at the wheel and nearly drove us into a ditch :(

Post subject: Re: Penant-winged Nightjars at Punda
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I'd go with sunset drive, these birds are getting active as the sun sets. But arrange beforehand with management with regards to your plans to see this bird. There is a known spot on the Mahonie loop, but other guests might not fancy your idea too much so try and get on a ride out on your own. :thumbs_up:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Evening Lonehill_Birders

I think you may be to late by the end of December but its worth a shot.Ask the guys doing the game drives if they have seen them? Our guide by the name of Thomas took us to a spot on the Mahonie loop on the night drive on the 10 November and the result I have posted below! What amagical experience watching him ghost out of the darkness! WOW one of my top 10 birding experiences ever......

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What an experience and what a photo !!! It is still on my wishlist. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:28 am 

Ferdelance wrote:
Good Evening Lonehill_Birders

I think you may be to late by the end of December but its worth a shot.Ask the guys doing the game drives if they have seen them? Our guide by the name of Thomas took us to a spot on the Mahonie loop on the night drive on the 10 November and the result I have posted below! What a magical experience watching him ghost out of the darkness! WOW one of my top 10 birding experiences ever......

:thumbs_up:

Wow! :thumbs_up: Wonderful capture there Ferdelance :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

I was fortunate enough to see them at Punda Maria on 3rd November last year (2011). We (the people on the vehicle) were the FIRST people to see them as they'd not been seen previously that year.

I did use my Roberts PDA to call them with a Shox speaker to magnify the sound though :redface: After playing their call for about 15 minutes on an off we were rewarded with the spectacle of 4 of them flying around our vehicle. (Unfortunately no decent photographs, I'd left my dedicated flash in the room and unfortunately could only use the on-board flash which wasn't powerful enough)

Dave

Shingwedzi - 7-8/11/2011
Letaba - 9/11/2011
Olifants - 10/11/2011
Satara - 11/11/2011
Skukuza - 12/11/2011
Berg-en-dal - 13-14/11/2011

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm 

Thanks everybody! And I'm so jealous of your photo's! What a stunning bird 8)
We'll contact Punda and see if we're lucky enough this time round to be on Thomas's
truck. Last time he was late back from the drive and we were fobbed off with a replacement driver.
Maybe the bird would have lost its penants by end December, but we'll keep our fingers crossed. Will let you know if we find it. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thomas took us to the same spot on 11 November on the evening drive and we were fortunate to see two flying and caught one on the ground

It was really dark before we could catch them in the air, sorry for the poor quality
What an amazing sight and a thrill, they look so surreal while flying, almost like a Chinese kite that a child would fly.