Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby hilda » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Dear Ducklings,

Since we have decided to make the closing date and time for challenge #12/2015 today at 12:00 to give the Ducklings who went away for the long weekend a chance to submit their answers, the closing date and time for challenge #13/2015 will be Monday, 4 May 2015 at 13:00 instead of Sunday night at midnight.

Here is Duckling challenge #13/2015:

Some of our Ducklings must be back from a wonderful holiday, and I really hope to see them here! We've got to get 12 participants for the Raptor Guide! Come on guys and girls! Send in your answers! :thumbs_up:
Please support the ONLINE AUCTION HERE Click on Lot nr. for picture of item. Closing date: 10 May 2015!

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi, I have been doing the last few duckling tests, but ....... It takes me so long I always miss the deadline to send in my attempts at answers :think:
So, I have spent ages today and come up with 2 answers so far, assuming I get to attempt all 8 how do I send my answers in :thumbs_up:

We bought a bird book last time we came, Complete Photographic Field Guide Birds of South Africa, my aim in doing these tests is to help me find my way round the book! All the big birds look the same as do the little birds so we struggle to know where to begin to look in the book.

Has anyone ever got everyone wrong so far :hmz:
Skukuza 16/10/15 to 21/10/15
Lower Sabie 22/10/15 to 24/10/15
Satara 25/10/15 to 29/10/15
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 am

Dear Merlin11, just keep on trying! I'll tell you what we can do to help you until you find your way around your bird guide. Whatever you have at the due date and time, send it per PM to the person who posted the challenge (this time it is me again), and I'll mark it out of the total you have send in. (I.e. if you have done 2 out of the 8, I'll mark it out of two.) :gflower:

You don't have to post your scores on the forum if you don't want to, and it doesn't matter if you don't get anything right. It is all part of the process of learning the difference between birds that almost look the same.

Read as much as you can about the bird, distribution, habitat, etc., to see if the bird you are ID-ing fits in. You will be amazed how fast you will find your way around your bird guide by just keep on trying to ID the birds.

Merlin11 wrote:Has anyone ever got everyone wrong so far

Yes, me! And many more at one stage got everything wrong. No problem at all, soon you will get better and better until you feel comfortable to do the Bird ID Challenges too!

Good luck, and I am looking forward to your answers for this week's challenge, (doesn't matter how many of the 8 you have done) per PM to me, on Monday by 13:00. :thumbs_up:
Please support the ONLINE AUCTION HERE Click on Lot nr. for picture of item. Closing date: 10 May 2015!

Karin Mitton

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 am

Merlin11 wrote:Hi, I have been doing the last few duckling tests, but ....... It takes me so long I always miss the deadline to send in my attempts at answers

I find that I struggle if I try the IDs when I am tired, so I normally set some time aside on a Saturday and Sunday, and then submit on a Sunday evening. I am yet to get 100%, but I enjoy the process of trying to ID the birds.

And just when I think I am getting the hang of it, they throw in challenging one! :big_eyes:

This week is an example - think I may struggle with a few.

But don't give up - if you are trying to find your way around your book by doing these challenges, it works! I am getting to know my books well!

Karin Mitton

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 am

I am going to Kruger tomorrow :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: , but will have a look at the challenge in the evenings when I sit and stare into the fire (that is, if I can tare my eyes away from the fire :lol: ), and submit my answers on Monday morning when I am back.

umtali1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Shall make an attempt to get answers in by Monday, once Ouma en Oupa duties are over. :k
umtali1

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP completed

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Dear Karin, drive safely and have a super time in Kruger! I envy you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Ouma and Oupa", enjoy your duties! I know you will! It was lovely to see you again on Monday! :dance: :dance:

Inyanga30 can also have some relaxing time and do the challenge while you are looking after the new Grandie! Please send pictures! :dance: :dance:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Mon May 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Dear Ducklings,

I hope all of the holiday makers are back home safe and sound, and ready to start on these challenges again! :dance: :dance:

Here is Duckling Challenge #14/2015:

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image

4. Image

5. Image

6. Image

7. Image

8. Image

To make provision for our overseas participants, the closing date for this challenge will be Monday morning, 11 May 2015, at 8:00 (S.A. time).

Enjoy!

umtali1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you for he new challenge, Hilda. :thumbs_up:

Looks like I have no more excuses for not participating....... :whistle: :hmz:
umtali1

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP completed

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Mon May 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Dear Ducklings,

Only four Ducklings submitted their answers. Isn’t it a shame? Thank you to the four who have submitted their answers.

One ‘mite scored 8/8
One ‘mite scored 7/8.
Two ‘mites scored 6/8.

Well done, because two birds (nos. 6 & 7) were not that easy.

Here are the answers to Duckling Challenge #13/2015:

No. 1 = Southern Brown-throated Weaver

Ad male br: Head golden yellow; lores, cheeks, chin, throat and upper breast chestnut-brown. Nape yellow, merging into yellowish-green back and lesser coverts; rump bright yellow. Tail greenish, outer rectrices with broad yellow inner webs. Flight feathers yellow, with dark brown tips and central shaft streaks; greater and median coverts olive-brown, with broad yellow margins. Breast to vent golden yellow. Bill black. Eyes red-brown. Legs and feet flesh-coloured.

No. 2 = Bearded Vulture

Ad: Forehead, crown, ear coverts and cheeks pale blond. Black facial mask extends from around eye, across lores, covering cere and nostrils; elongated feathers end in 'beard' 45-55 mm long. Back of head, nape and sides of neck white to orange, feathers long and shaggy. Remainder of upper parts, incl tail, blackish brown, feathers with white shafts. Tail long, wedge-shaped. Wings pointed. Upper wing coverts blackish brown, with white shafts and small white tips. Flight feathers greyish black, edged black, with white shafts. Axillaries orange to rufous. Throat to undertail coverts, incl shaggy leggings, white, but stained orange or rufous from accumulation of iron oxide on feather barbs. Throat feathers long and shaggy. Bill horn-coloured, cere grey. Eyes yellow, eye ring red. Toes bluish grey.

No. 3 = Juv. African Goshawk

Ad female: Head and upper parts, incl upper wing, dark brown. Upper tail dark brown, with 3 broad, blackish bars; no tail spots. Underparts with barring coarser and less richly coloured than male; usually lacks rufous wash on flanks and thighs. Juv: Upper parts as ad female, but with white supercilium, and feathers tipped buff. White throat with median stripe dark brown; remainder of underparts whitish, with large, irregular brown spots. Eyes brown.

No. 4 = Rufous-chested Sparrowhawk

Ad male: Crown to below eye dark slate grey, cheeks and lower ear coverts russet; head appears hooded. Upper parts dark slate grey. Tail dark greyish brown, tipped white, with 4 blackish bars with indistinct white shaft streaks between them. Upper wing coverts dark slate grey. Flight feathers dark brown, faintly barred paler; some white on inner webs. Chin and throat pale rufous to white. Upper breast to belly rufous; vent and undertail coverts white. Bill blackish; cere yellow. Eyes yellow. Legs and feet yellow.

No. 5 = Mottled Spinetail

Ad: Crown to back uniform dark sooty brown, forehead slightly paler. Some feathers with pale bases, particularly on nape; may show through. Lores, area above eye and ear coverts pale grey-brown. Blackish 'C'-shaped mark around front of eye. Rump and upper tail coverts white, latter with dark subterminal spots, appearing mottled. Tail blackish (paler below than above), noticeably tinged glossy green; square, but with shafts protruding 2-4 mm beyond webs. Rectrices edged grey-brown, fringes of outer webs of outer rectrices with central white spot. Flight feathers blackish, slightly tinged glossy green; paler below than above. Remiges with inner webs and tips paler. Upper wing coverts blackish brown. On underwing, flight feathers do not contrast with greater and greater primary coverts. Median underwing coverts blackish, edged white; lesser coverts blackish, edged grey. Throat and upper breast whitish, lightly mottled brown; mottling diffuse on chin and central throat, concentrated on upper breast. Lower breast and belly darker brown, becoming blackish on undertail coverts. White band across vent diagnostic. Bill black. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet grey.

No. 6 = Female Drakensberg Siskin

Ad male: Crown, nape, sides of face and ear coverts dull olive green, streaked with dusky olive-brown. Neck olive green, heavily marked with olive-brown. Mantle, back and upper tail coverts olive-brown, rump greenish. Tail blackish brown, outer 2 pairs of rectrices white on inner web, with thin brown stripe on centre of inner margin; remainder of rectrices faintly edged white. Primaries dusky brown; secondaries and wing coverts blackish brown, with paler brown edges. Throat yellowish green, sides of neck washed olive-brown. Upper breast and centre of lower breast yellowish green, shading to pale brown on central belly and undertail coverts. Sides of belly and flanks buffy brown. Bill brownish horn, palest on lower mandible. Eyes brown. Legs and feet brown. Ad female: As male, but generally browner. Crown and nape brownish, streaked darker brown. Back brown, with dusky mottling; rump lacks green. Underparts brownish, palest on belly; throat speckled or streaked dusky.

No. 7 = European Nightjar

Ad male: Crown and hind neck grey-brown, very finely speckled and streaked black. Lores, ear coverts, chin and throat rufous, freckled black. Moustachial stripe whitish. Upper parts from mantle to upper tail coverts dark grey (paler towards back and rump), finely speckled and streaked black. Tail grey, with narrow, dark brown bars; 2 outer pairs of rectrices with white tips. Sides of neck buff or tawny; small white spot on throat on either side of midline. Upper wing coverts blackish to greyish, freckled rufous; median coverts broadly tipped buff. Primaries and secondaries dark brown, flecked buff (outer webs only on primaries) and tipped greyish; large white spot on inner webs. Bill black; inside of mouth deep red. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet brownish flesh.

No. 8 = Black Harrier

Ad: Upper parts mostly black; facial owl-like ruff apparent at close quarters. Upper tail coverts white; tail pale grey, with 5 black bars. Upper wing coverts black; primaries and secondaries grey, tipped black, with white inner webs. Inner secondaries barred blackish. Underwing coverts black. Undersides of flight feathers white; outer primaries edged black, inner primaries and secondaries broadly tipped black. Underparts black, feathers of belly and thighs with narrow white edges; undertail barred black and white. Eyes yellow. Bill dark grey, cere yellow. Legs and feet yellow.

(All ID descriptions from Roberts’Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa.)

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”