Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 275  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 pm 

#47 7/10

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

6/8 for #48. Well pleased :dance: :dance: :dance:

Our trip report for 2013 is at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Do get on the bus(es)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great score umtali1! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ANSWERS: #48/2013

Okay, so it was too easy :lol: ...

16 participants, with 10 scoring 8/8! :clap: Average score: 7.3

1.) Black-chested snake eagle. No problems here. The white underwing with barred flight feathers are diagnostic.

2.) Large-billed lark One of the easiest larks to identify (even I can do it! :lol: ). One incorrect ID. Heavy bill with lots of yellow to the base.

3.) Black harrier. No problems here. Wing pattern, low flight and longish tail.

4.)White-throated canary. Three incorrect ID's. Heavy bill, white throat. Paler than streaky-headed seed eater. Unstreaked breast vs. streaked breast of female yellow canary.

5.)Booted eagle, pale morph. The most difficult one it the challenge, with five incorrect answers. Small size helps eliminate some of the larger eagles (size can be deduced from the relative size of the blue gum leaves), and feathered tarsi (just visible above the feet), which make it not a buzzard; light brown head and contrasting creamish-white underparts also helps as this is the most common form of booted eagle.

6.)Hartlaub's gull No problems here. Short bill, dark eye and white blotch visible on the primaries.

7.)Cape long-billed lark Only two incorrect answers here. Very long bill, streaked flanks and long tail. For me, the location also helped -- Hondeklipbaai -- but you folks unfortunately did not have that info :twisted:

8.)Ludwig's bustard I thought this was a giveaway, but there were two incorrect answers. Dark grey foreneck (vs. light grey of Denham's bustard), more-or-less uniform dark (vs. marked) face and marked back (vs. plain back) also differentiate it from Denham's bustard. Black-bellied bustard looks more like a red-crested korhaan, but with a thin, black line up the foreneck contrasting with the white cheek (not present here).

Note on birding in Namaqualand:
While there are lots of nice birds to see almost everywhere in Namaqualand (as long as you travel slowly), I can definitely recommend the following route as a "must" for a birding trip in Namaqualand (should any of you guys find yourselves in the Northern Cape at some point :D )

Just north of Garies on the N7, take the first exit from Garies that indicates "Hondeklipbaai" (this is the long way to Hondeklipbaai). Follow the signs to "Sarrisam" and "Soutpan" (this include a couple of illogical-looking turn-offs). This route is mostly farm roads, so there are several gates that need to be open and closed. After a long drive, you'll find a largish sign saying "Sarrisam" and a very small sign stating "See" [sea] to the left. Take this route to follow a dirt road towards Namaqua National Park and Koringkorrelbaai. The NNP gate may or may not be manned. When we were there, it was unmanned, but we could open and close it ourselves just like any other farm gate we went through that day. It is probably better to get a permit (and pay conservation fees) at Skilpad before going this way (but we just settled up the next day when we visited Skilpad). Part of the route follows a small stream. Find out at the Garies Toeriste Stal (Garies Tourists stall) in Garies [they serve great pastries btw -- "vleis" (mutton), chicken and bobotie] what the condition of the road is like. When we were there it was about a week after heavy rains, and we had no trouble with a unloaded Terios, but a sedan may have gotten in trouble (especially in the park where the two-spoor track goes through some deep-ish sand) and a couple with a heavily-laden double-cab 4x4 full of camping gear apparently had some trouble the day before. Koringkorrelbaai in Namaqua National Park is very .... remote.... You feel like you're the only people in the world when you're there. Three campsites, each with its own braai and longdrop are the only "unnatural" things there :thumbs_up:

We've spent one day driving this route towards Koringkorrelbaai (and then from Sarrisam through Wallekraal back to the N7). We saw, amongst other birds, 16 Ludwig bustards (in groups of 2 to 4), many, many jackal buzzards, a pair of booted eagles, southern black korhaan, lesser flamingo, red-capped lark, large-billed lark, black harrier, black-chested snake eagle, pale chanting goshawk, lanner falcon, bokmakierie, pied avocet, damara canary, yellow-billed duck, yellow canary, African stonechat, malachite sunbird, yellow bishop, Cape weaver, Karoo chat, southern double-collared sunbird, South African shelduck, black-winged stilt, black-headed canary, ant-eating chat, ostrich, spur-winged goose, Cape crow, pied crow (and a group of meerkat "suricates" ).

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Challenge 49 of 2013

OK, this challenge shouldn't be quite as tough as my previous one but I suspect the subject matter would be birds that most forumites don't have an intimate familiarity with so it should keep your grey matter occupied for a while at least.

Bird 1

Bird 2

Bird 3

Bird 4

Bird 5

Bird 6

Bird 7

Bird 8

Bird 9

Bird 10

Send me your answers by the 20th of Dec and check back then for the answers. Have fun.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great challenge - thanks!

:thumbs_up:

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Dabchick for the answers. :thumbs_up: and for your contribution over the year :gflower:

No, it wasn't too easy. Well, not for me anyway. It's really pleasant to have one in which I can 75% correct instead of below 50%. :whistle: Not complaining at having really difficult challenges, just good to have a less difficult one :clap:

Deefstes, what grey matter :think: It's all in the wig, now :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see the last one is walking on water, so there's hope for a miracle after all :funny:

Our trip report for 2013 is at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Do get on the bus(es)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
7/8 for me for challenge 48/2013. :D

Thank you for the answers Dabchick, as well as for the birding tip in Namaqualand! :gflower:

Deefstes, thank you for this last challenge of 2013! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm 

Hi All,

I will only take part again next year. It's a bit difficult to the challenge while my mom - Jakkie Human is still in hospital.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Have a lovely day

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
How is your Mom doing Gryskopvisvanger? Wishing her a speedy and full recovery! :pray:

I don't wish a back problem on anybody!

A merry Christmas and a very happy 2014 to you and your loved ones too! Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How are people doing with #49 ????? :?

Do get on the bus(es)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Like the others + lots of guessing luck :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm going to submit my answers now! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I only got six...

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:43 pm 

7/10 for #49

Dave

Shingwedzi - 7-8/11/2011
Letaba - 9/11/2011
Olifants - 10/11/2011
Satara - 11/11/2011
Skukuza - 12/11/2011
Berg-en-dal - 13-14/11/2011

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 275  Next