SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
Come on Guys and Girls! Three more and I can blow off the dust from the Raptor Guide to send it to a winner! The answers to Challenge #1/2015 will be posted at 15:00 tomorrow afternoon - still a few hours to participate! :dance: :dance:

Gatita is also ready with Challenge #2/2015 which she will post tomorrow, which means that barryels, Johan van Rensburg and I can participate again, which could help to get the number of participants to 15! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge 1/2015
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hilda wrote:
Come on Guys and Girls! Three more and I can blow off the dust from the Raptor Guide to send it to a winner! The answers to Challenge #1/2015 will be posted at 15:00 tomorrow afternoon - still a few hours to participate! :dance: :dance:

Mine will be with B in an hour - difficult to type with wallpapering hands/fingers (the wallpaper smoothing brush went awol)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

I know you are all eagerly awaitning the answers, but I would really like to venture my set as well, but will only get to the last few IDs later tonight. Is it possible that I ask extension until sunrise tomorrow?

Have a :cam: :dance: :popcorn: afternoon

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MxM wrote:
Hi all

I know you are all eagerly awaitning the answers, but I would really like to venture my set as well, but will only get to the last few IDs later tonight. Is it possible that I ask extension until sunrise tomorrow?

J
given i never want to come last :whistle:
you have my support.

:dance: THAT GIVES A FEW MORE HOURS FOR JUST ONE MORE TO HAVE A GO TOO :dance:
If you submit five answers and they are all correct that's still 100%
r

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
MxM wrote:

That is fine MXM! Barry will post the answers then tomorrow morning, Saturday, 24 January 2015 at 8:00. :D

DO YOU KNOW WHAT????

If MXM posts his answers tomorrow morning, we will have 15 participants for challenge #1/2015! That means we can do a draw for the Raptor Guide! :dance: :dance:

inyanga 1 wrote:

You are too wise for your size Inyanga 1! :lol: :lol:

inyanga 1 wrote:
(the wallpaper smoothing brush went awol)

If the Raptor Guide has been won, I think I can make the next prize a wallpaper smoothing brush! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
hilda wrote:
MxM wrote:

That is fine MXM! Barry will post the answers then tomorrow morning, Saturday, 24 January 2015 at 8:00. :D

DO YOU KNOW WHAT????

If MXM posts his answers tomorrow morning, we will have 15 participants for challenge #1/2015! That means we can do a draw for the Raptor Guide! :dance: :dance:

inyanga 1 wrote:

You are too wise for your size Inyanga 1! :lol: :lol:

inyanga 1 wrote:
(the wallpaper smoothing brush went awol)

If the Raptor Guide has been won, I think I can make the next prize a wallpaper smoothing brush! :tongue:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

No pressure on MxM then :whistle:

Don't give Inyanga 1 any ideas, please :naughty:

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

well that hour was worth it.. great start to 2015 with 70% :redface:
raptors are nasty :evil:

was a great challenge barry and good luck to MxM, and others who try tonight...

r.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2014)
challenge 02/2015

I hope that this isn’t too easy.

all these birds are found in Southern Africa but ALL PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN NORTHERN GERMANY.

8.I am looking for the id of the one in front

and a bonus bird – common here but only escapees are found in Southern Africa

Have fun. :D

I am looking forward to receiving your pms. :dance: Answers will be posted on 06.02.2015.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Phew. Got some answers in. Not sure about them, but at least I got to open my books again. Now to carry on with my work. Joy (then again, this work pays for my trip to Augrabies and 3 other SANparks, so I guess its ok).

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:30 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks to everybody who participated in challenge no.1 of 2015 :thumbs_up: . As a result of your support we have reached the magic figure of 15 participants for a challenge which qualifies for a draw to see who will be the winner of the Raptor Guide :D . Hilda will have a draw to decide who will be the first winner.

We still need another 10 ‘mites to break the record of 24 participants for a challenge. Hope we can reach this magic figure during 2015 :whistle: .

Here are the results of our participants:
One had 5/10
Three had 7/10
Four had 8/10
Four had 9/10
Three had 10/10

Here are the correct birds:

1# Greater Kestrel [13/15]

Overall pale rufous. Black streaking on head, neck and breast. Bill grey with black tip; cere yellow. Eyes pale cream, eye ring yellow. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

2# SA Cliff Swallow [13/15]

Tail blackish brown, square-tipped. Undersides of flight feathers silvery blackish; underwing coverts pale rufous. Chin and throat pale rufous, with variable fine black speckling (often heavy, imparting dark-throated appearance), denser towards cheeks and sides of breast. Upper breast rufous, with coarse, diffuse blackish spots; lower breast pinkish or buffish white, with variable rufous markings. Belly and flanks buffish, flanks streaked rufous. Longest undertail coverts blue-black; with broad rufous fringes; shorter feathers rufous. Undertail silvery blackish. Bill black. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet black. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

3# Common Moorhen Juvenile [12/15]

Juv: Above dark brown. Underparts buffy, paler in centre of belly. Bill and frontal shield greenish brown. Eyes grey-brown. Legs and feet dark olive-grey to greenish. Confusing species: Smaller ad Lesser Moorhen has predominantly yellow (not red) bill, and greenish (not yellow) legs. Juv has pale yellowish green (not blackish) bill, paler, browner neck and greyish white (not buffy) mid-breast to vent; lacks white flank stripe. Juv Allen's Gallinule lacks white flank stripe and has strongly scalloped upper parts. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)
Just for interest sake. This exact bird forms part of the discussion of the Common Moorhen in the electronic Roberts that was send in by JvR.

4# White Fronted Plover [14/15]

Ad male: Frons, forecrown and supercilium white, mid-crown crossed by blackish band; remainder of crown sandy grey, feathers fringed pale brown to off-white. Lores blackish brown, colour extending in narrow stripe behind eye to ear coverts. Remainder of face and nuchal collar white. Mantle, back and rump greyish to sandy grey, feathers fringed pale brown to off-white. Upper tail coverts and tail centrally blackish, laterally white. Primaries and secondaries dark brown, with bases, inner webs and shafts white. Coverts brownish grey, edged sandy brown; greater coverts tipped white. Pale dusky-brown lateral patch on upper breast. Lower breast and upper belly sometimes washed salmon or chestnut; remainder of underparts white. Bill black. Eyes brown. Legs and feet pale grey to green-grey or pale green. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

5# immature Kelp Gull [13/15]

Imm: Face, neck and underparts paler than juv, with some brown streaking on neck. Upper tail coverts whitish, tail with dark terminal band. Bill mostly black, but greyish yellow basally and tipped pale. Legs and feet pale grey. Juv: Overall blackish brown, with scapulars, wing coverts and rectrices fringed buff. Bill black, usually paler towards tip. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet grey-brown. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

6# Immature Grey Headed Gull [9/15]

Imm: As juv, but crown and back mottled ashy brown. Ear coverts brownish. Dusky eye crescent and ear covert spot indistinct. Juv: Partial hood of grey-brown on crown, ear coverts, and upper nape. Dark eye crescent and ear covert spot. Hind neck whitish. Feathers of mantle, back and scapulars brown, fringed paler, appearing scaled. Rump pale grey. Tail white, with black subterminal band. Upper wing grey, brown anteriorly; outermost primaries and trailing edge black. Underwing dusky, flight feathers black. Underparts mostly white; sides of breast grey brown. Bill pinkish, with dark tip. Legs and feet dull red to brown. Confusing species: Hartlaub's Gull slightly smaller, with shorter bill and legs; br ad has pale lavender (not grey) hood and dark brown (not pale) eyes; non-br ad has much duller bill and legs. Juv Hartlaub's Gull paler and less heavily mottled above, with less extensive black in flight feathers. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

7# Palmnut Vulture [15/15]

Ad: Head and neck is dull white or creamy white. Scapulars, secondaries and greater upper wing coverts black. Underparts dull white or creamy white. Bill horn-coloured, cere yellow. Eyes yellow, sometimes deep orange. Large area of bare skin around eyes, and below bill, pink or orange-pink. Legs and feet flesh-coloured, talons large and black. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

8# African Crowned Eagle [13/15]

Ad: Crown dark brown, with short black occipital crest, tipped whitish. Sides of face and neck rufous or dark brown; remainder of upper parts blackish. Upper tail grey-brown, with broad black bands. Upper wing coverts blackish; flight feathers paler grey-brown, with 3 narrow dark bars and broad black trailing edges. Fully feathered legs more finely barred black. Undertail broadly barred pale grey and black, with black terminal bar. Bill black, cere dark grey; gape yellow. Eyes pale yellow. Feet pale yellow. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

9# Bat Hawk [15/15]

Ad: Dark-phase birds (most common plumage in s Africa) blackish brown all over, with white streak above and below eye, and black streak down centre of brown throat. Nape feathers extend into short crest, giving flat-headed appearance. Chest mottled black on brown, tail unbarred. Pale-phase birds mainly dark brown above, feathers with white bases. Tail brown, indistinctly barred paler brown. Coverts and flight feathers brown, latter spotted white on inner webs. Underparts variably black, brown and white. Throat white, bisected by a black vertical line; breast feathers tipped brownish. Bill black and weak. Eyes bright yellow. Legs and feet bluish white, claws black. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

10# Jackal Buzzard [8/15]

This bird gave the most headaches. Maybe it was because this bird was photographed in flight and one of JvR’s special bird pictures.

Ad typical morph: Head and upper parts blackish slate, streaked white, especially on frons, supraorbital ridge, mantle and scapulars. Flight feathers white, heavily barred black above, with broad black tips. Underwing coverts black; undersides of flight feathers whitish, finely barred blackish distally, with broad blackish terminal band. Bill dark horn, cere yellow. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet yellow. (According to Roberts’ Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

8/10

Thanks all for waiting a little. Now to go play with my little daughter.

Have a :thumbs_up: day

John

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:27 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
Great score MXM! Enjoy playing with your little daughter! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for challenge #2/2015 Gatita! Stunning pictures! :gflower:

Thank you for the answers of challenge #1/2015 barryels! :dance: :dance:

All the participants did VERY WELL! Not one under 50% :clap: :clap:

Here are the names that will go into the draw:

1. Umtali1
2. Glasogie
3. Gryskopvisvanger
4. TrevorC
5. Ladybirder
6. Jakkie Human
7. Hippotragus
8. Gatita
9. TheRealShamwari
10. addictedToBirds
11. Dugong
12. Dabchick
13. Davejenny
14. Inyanga 1
15. MXM

To be absolutely fair, I'll ask my neighbour to draw the winning name this morning. :thumbs_up:

Since Gatita has put up the new challenge, only 14 of the above 'mites can participate. BUT barryels, myself and Johan van Rensburg can participate in challenge #2/2015. That means for anyone to win the next bird guide, Sasol's Southern African LBJs made simple by Doug Newman and Gordon King, which also includes a CD of bird calls, there must be a minimum of 17 participants in a challenge. :D

Thank you all for participating! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:01 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)

Jakkie Human!

You are the winner of the Raptor Guide! Very well done! :gflower: :gflower:

Kindly PM me your postal address, or better still, a place, date and time that suits you where we can meet for coffee since you also reside in Pretoria, and then we can meet you and deliver your prize! :dance: :dance:

I am so happy that we had the minimum amount of participants for this prize at last, and couldn't wait for my neighbour to wake up, so I asked the gardener (he cannot read or write), to make the draw!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: Congrats to Jakkie Human :clap: :clap:

How long did it take for Hilda's generous prize to be won?

Thank you Barryels for the challenge and to JvR for his great pictures. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Gatita for the next challenge. Don't know why you think it might be easy :wall: :wall:

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:12 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
umtali1 wrote:
How long did it take for Hilda's generous prize to be won?

Not very long umtali1! I promised this book on 13 October 2014 .... just over 3 months ago, and one can't really count December - there were no challenges, which makes it just over 2 months! :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65