Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hilda wrote:
Thank you for the results MattAxell! I would never have been able to ID that Snake Eagle! :D

How many 'mites participated in #10/2013? :hmz:

I sent you a PM earlier, but it looks like it's still in my outbox. You should get it soon. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks MattAxel! I have received it. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

adrianp wrote:
umtali1 wrote:
Lots of very good ideas being floated about, but you need to make sure that any reward/prize would be applicable worldwide and not have a short time limit.

Phew- that makes it a lot harder... :hmz:

Imagine the shipping costs of Roberts VII to Easter Island :big_eyes:

Would SanParks vouchers be of any value to non-RSA based entrants?

I was actually thinking about vouchers that could be used during the next visit. Overseas competitors would not be encouraged to participate in the challenges if they were excluded from a scheme. I thought we're trying to encourage more participants!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

umtali1 wrote:
adrianp wrote:
umtali1 wrote:
Lots of very good ideas being floated about, but you need to make sure that any reward/prize would be applicable worldwide and not have a short time limit.

Phew- that makes it a lot harder... :hmz:

Imagine the shipping costs of Roberts VII to Easter Island :big_eyes:

Would SanParks vouchers be of any value to non-RSA based entrants?

I was actually thinking about vouchers that could be used during the next visit. Overseas competitors would not be encouraged to participate in the challenges if they were excluded from a scheme. I thought we're trying to encourage more participants!

I agree with your comments, which is why I suggested SANPARKS vouchers that overseas guests can spend in SA when they are here again on holiday. Promote the country, promote birding.

It is just tough to wrap my head around the logistics. Say for example we get sponsorship for a bunch of books or SANPARKS hats or scarves or something. It is a fair bit of admin, beyond just setting and administering a birding challenge that is done from behind your PC, to now head off to the post office everymonth to ship something (assuming it gets there :| ), but if you don't know the postage costs/import taxes etc of overseas entrants, then it can put an uneccessary strain on volunteers to do the work to get the stuff out to the winners.

I am quite sure that I can get a few prizes together for the quizes, as I have done this before for other club events, but the PT to get them out by mail is going to be the toughest challenge. After all, we are a group of enthusiastic birders who do this for free, and expect nothing in return.

I am encouraged by the number of international guests that use the forums and that visit South Africa, long may this last, and I hope that our friendly and generous attitude continues to encourage people to visit and build up the ecotourism sector of our country so that local government can see the benefits of conservation before it is too late.

We will do our best to apply our minds to a workable solution, that will encourage as many people as possible to be a part of this bird ID challenge, but still make it possible and fun for the volunteers to continue to enjoy posting and administering the challenges. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:15 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
adrianp wrote:
I am encouraged by the number of international guests that use the forums and that visit South Africa, long may this last, and I hope that our friendly and generous attitude continues to encourage people to visit and build up the ecotourism sector of our country so that local government can see the benefits of conservation before it is too late.

We will do our best to apply our minds to a workable solution, that will encourage as many people as possible to be a part of this bird ID challenge, but still make it possible and fun for the volunteers to continue to enjoy posting and administering the challenges.

Hear, hear adrianp!!!! I couldn't agree with you more! :clap: :clap:

Umtali1, we will not exclude the overseas competitors from the scheme, never! Unfortunately this will take time, but we will ensure that the prizes are something that Saffies as well as overseas competitors will benefit from! :dance: :dance:

Now, will you please start on challenge #11/2013? I'm already struggling with the 2nd one! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I just want to inform all the participants of the Bird ID Challenges that the next challenge, #12/2013, will be posted on 29 March 2013 on the Forum by AdrianP again! The results will be posted on 5 April 2013! :clap: :clap:

Thanks in advance AdrianP! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oops! Only one correct for #11 :( Oh well, at least I had a go!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:59 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Don't you worry umtali1! I shall be very glad if I could get one right! I find this challenge very hard! I am going to send my answers in during the day, but honestly, I don't have much hope for myself! As you said, at least you have tried! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

7/9, but I've no idea which two are wrong! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great score Dabchick! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Umtali1, I was not joking .... 2/9 for me for Challenge #11/2013! :? I honestly found this challenge VERY difficult, maybe I am just not clever enough for these IDs! BUT, I shall not stop!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well done :thumbs_up: Hilda for getting one more than me. At least I'm in good company.
I've been looking at them again but not really getting anywhere. I look forward to MattAxel putting up the results and then I can begin to understand what to look out for! You have tooooooo many birds in SA!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you umtali1! We'll keep on trying? You and me? :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are the answers for challenge #11 of 2013.

Well done to Cois Cois for getting the top mark, which was 8/9 :clap:

The average score was 5.7/9 or 63.33%.

Shikra (Imm) - A few people said it's a Kestrel, but the shape is wrong for a Kestrel (which are much thinner looking birds), and Kestrels also don't have the barring underneath, and also have dark, not yellow eyes. I think almost everyone who got it as an Accipiter went with Shikra, which I was quite impressed with. With that yellow cere it can only really be between Shikra and Little Sparrowhawk. Some features that separate the two include the slight supercilium, which Little Sparrowhawk lacks, the lack of a yellow eye ring, and the barring goes all the way up the throat, whereas with Little Sparrowhaw it doesn't. Photo taken at Tuli Block, Botswana.

Dark-capped Bulbul (leucistic) - Another good example showing that often when IDing birds the GISS (general impression of size and shape) is more important than colouring. If you just used plumage to ID this bird you would have been totally thrown off, but if you just look at the shape of it, you can clearly see it's a Bulbul. You can also see a bit of the yellow vent which is characteristic of Bulbuls. Photo taken in Pretoria, Gauteng.

Common Whitethroat - The shape and colouring, and bill all point towards his being a Warbler of some sort, and the rufous wing panels and white throat patch confirms this is a Common Whitethroat. Photo taken at Kgomo-Kgomo, North West.

African Cuckoo - Very similar to Common Cuckoo, but has heavier white barring on the under-tail. Photo taken at Mkhombo Dam, Mpumalanga.

Black-winged Pratincole (non-br) - Not many problems here, most people got it. There is more extensive white underneath than Red-winged Pratincole, and it goes all the way onto the breast. Photo taken at Mkhombo Dam, Mpumalanga.

#6 I want both birds in this picture
a) Greater Painted Snipe - No real problems here. Very distinct markings.
b) Common Greenshank - Similar in colour to Marsh Sandpiper, but has a much thicker, and slightly upturned bill. Photo taken in Pilanesberg, North West.

Short-clawed Lark - This one caused a few problems. It's too boldly marked, and the bill is too long and thin to be a Pipit. Once you have it as a Lark, the bill is way too short to be any of the Long-billed Larks, and also the supercilium is too broad to be a Long-billed Lark. This leaves only Short-clawed Lark. Photo taken at Mamabola Grasslands, Limpopo.

African Finfoot (juv) - A few people though the white on the face of this bird was an eye ring, which would throw you off a bit. Those are in fact just facial markings. The big, flat tail is wrong for a Night Heron anyway, and is characteristic for African Finfoot. Photo taken at Borakalalo, North West.

Thanks to all who made an effort and took part. I hope some of you were able to learn some things from this challenge. :)

Hope you all take part, and enjoy adrianp's challenge!

Cheers
Matt

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks , Mattaxel, for the tips and comparisons to other species. Perhaps I should have gone with my gut feeling in a couple of cases. Excellent learning curve :thumbs_up:

Looking at the birds again I couldn't decide between the Shikra or Little Sparrowhawk.
As for the bulbul I thought it had to be one of them with the yellow vent but I just couldn't justify such odd colouring.
I was nowhere near the common whitethroat :(
Again nowhere near with the pratincole or the african finfoot :(
On looking again I did get the African cuckoo and the common greenshank and the shortclawed lark :) .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 276  Next