Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Get going Sharifa!! It is still only Thursday :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Challenge #46

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Challenge #45 Answers.

Alrighty, answer time. I've received 11 entries and overall the scores were very good. Like I said, it's a fairly easy challenge and there were three 10/10's and five 9/10's. The average score was 8.72/10. So well done guys and gals.

Bird 1: African Barred Owlet - Only 1 person got this one wrong with African Wood Owl which has a very prominent white face and dark eyes.

Bird 2: African Painted Snipe - This bird fooled nobody with his silly breakdancing and everyone got it right.

Bird 3: Freckled Nigthjar - Again, only one incorrect entry with Fiery-necked Nightjar. The Freckled Nightjar is unique in that it has no noticeable markings really. No white or cream wing spots, no rufous collar, no streaking on the back, no white throat patch, no wing bars, nothing. It's just a generally dark bird.

Bird 4: Jackal Buzzard - I was hoping to catch out a few of you with this one and I caught out only 3. The rest had it all right. So the important thing to note is that Jackal Buzzard does have a pale form in which the rufous on the breast is paler or even white. The pale forms occur across their entire range but is particularly common in the northern Cape.

This bird shows some pale rufous feathers in the breast, which is enough already to ID it as Jackal Buzzard but the dark thighs also rule out Augur Buzzard which would have a bone white breast, belly and thighs.

Bird 5: Bennett's Woodpecker - Also 11/11 correct entries for this one. Well done. I thought that, seeing as the underparts are not visible in the pic it might pose some ID challenge but you all rose to the challenge brilliantly.

Bird 6: African Emerald Cuckoo - Received 3 incorrect entries. I'm going to assume that the answer of Black Cuckoo came from someone who still uses a Hercules Monochrome monitor :twisted: No but seriously, there is no plumage, age or sex of Black Cuckoo that shows any green tones in the plumage and certainly not the bill or eye ring. African Paradise Flycatcher do show some colour on the head and bare parts but they're shades of blue, not green.

Generaly though, I doubt that African Emerald Cuckoo would be confused with either of these two species in a real world environment.

Bird 7: Black-bellied Bustard - Another full house. No problems ID'ing this bird.

Bird 8: American Purple Gallinule - Only one incorrect entry which was for Purple Gallinule and I suspect that the omission of the "American" prefix was probably just a slip of the mind or a slip of the finger. If the yellow tipped bill and small blue frontal shield weren't good enough, the bright yellow legs provide the dead giveaway.

Bird 9: Lizard Buzzard - I was hoping that this one would catch more of you out but I received only one incorrect entry for Gabar Goshawk. With the head turned sideways, the throat stripe isn't clearly visible but some white can still be seen. Other than that, it's a stockier bird than Gabar Goshawk but most noticeably the tail is much shorter with only a single white band on the undertail.

https://www.box.com/s/rt0tg1fint9mtswvpabi
Bird 10: Lizard Buzzard - I thought I'd be sneaky by throwing in a bird call and using a species that has already featured in the challenge :D The call was correctly identified by 7/11 participants with incorrect entries ranging from African Fish-Eagle to Great Spotted Cuckoo. While Great Spotted Cuckoo has one call that is somewhat similar in rhythm, it has a very different timbre, more "hoarse" in a manner of speaking.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yikes, Lizzet's challenge looks like it comes from another country :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for the new challenge Lizet! I think we are going to page like mad with this one again! :doh: :D

Thanks for the results of # 45 deefstes! Numbers 3 and 4 were my downfall! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Birdie People - I am just testing the waters. I am thinking of possibly driving to Kruger early tomorrow morning (02 Des) from Gauteng to find and tick the Madagascar Cuckoo that is showing at the moment; probably to return Monday. If anybody is keen to share some petrol costs with me, PM me. No promises yet... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:09 pm 

8/8 for #46 :dance: :dance:

Thank you Lizet

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Jakkie, so quick. Well done though :clap: :clap: . I have only just seen Lizet's challenge for the first time. Not easy :think: . On the :lotsocoffee: already (hi Micetta). Thanks to Deefstes for the results of the last challenge. I'll have to check that call out :hmz: . Have fun all.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Well done Jakkie Human :clap: :clap: :clap:

6/8 against my name for # 46 :)

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all!

I have not even had the time to have a closer look at #46....and I am not sure that I want too :shock: :? :doh: :wall: :naughty: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I am also far behind Micetta! We had a very busy weekend. :D

Well done Jakkie Human and Sharifa! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Important notice to all participants!

Hi all bird lovers! Please take note that Deefstes will post Challenge #47 on Friday, 7 December 2012. Please remember to PM me with all your answers, since Deefstes is going on a birding trip in Namibia, and will not be able to post the results to each participant, or the answers on 14 Desember 2012. He will send the answers to me to PM each of you with your results, as well as the answers on the Forum. :D

Of course my SO and I will not officially take part in this challenge, although we are going to ID them before I open the answers from Deefstes, just for our own purposes. :thumbs_up:

Also note that Challenge #47 will be the last one for 2012. We will start again on 11 January 2013! :wink:

I hereby wish to thank AdrianP, Ferdelance, Lizet, MattAxel and Deefstes once again for all their time and effort with these challenges! It is really appreciated! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
hilda wrote:
Important notice to all participants!

I hereby wish to thank AdrianP, Ferdelance, Lizet, MattAxel and Deefstes once again for all their time and effort with these challenges! It is really appreciated! :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hear! Hear! :thumbs_up:

Thank you and it is highly appreciated.

Deefstes - have a wonderful time in Namibia :dance: :dance: :dance:

Bring back some lovely nasties that will make us want to pull our hair out :twisted: :) All in the name of education :D

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
7/8 for me for Challenge #46! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
No 3 totally confused me. I got 7/8 for No. 46.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 276  Next