Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 am 

barryels wrote:
Quite an interesting twist to this challenge Pumbaa :dance: :dance: .

yes certainly beats peering at bills, coverts, malars, streaking, colours and LBJ's

it's a braai challenge - BBQ
Big Bird Questions.

Trevors challenge was somewhat difficult :wall: :wall:
and it took me some considerable time to find some plausible answers to 9 of them.
Even the battery ran out on my tablet due to overworked Roberts App.
I've not yet answered no 8 (obviously) :? but will take another look this am :whistle: :whistle: .

Umtali was having difficulty with a couple :hmz: and asked me how i (with much less knowledge and inability to multi-task) would tackle them so i tried out #7.
Having puzzled that one out, submitting answers and getting feedback Umtali said that two of the birds were from the same area. That helped me make a more educated guess for #10. :k

So with #8 to do i have managed 7/10 :sup: :sup:
.... but i don't think i'm likely to improve on that.
r.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:43 pm 

Answers - Challenge #26/2014

Many thanks to all who participated in this challenge :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I know this was a real tough one but hopefully you still had fun in trying :D :D
I received 11 entries for the challenge with an average score of 4/10 so this was a really tricky one - well done for trying :clap: :clap:
I have used only the scores from first round entries here, because I gave many people a second chance after giving a few clues :D

Here are the answers:

1. Bushveld Pipit: 4/11 had this one correct

Untitled by trevor.charters, on Flickr

Seen in the Seringveld area north of Pretoria.
This one proved to be harder than I thought it would be. The tricky part was ID’ing this as a Pipit to start off with - once you get that then it is easier to get to Bushveld Pipit – small compact Pipit with short tail, upper parts rufous-brown with bold black streaks (well marked back) and breast “fairly” boldly streaked (not as bold as Short tailed Pipit) and tail shorter than Tree Pipit. The prominent white eye-ring is also good pointer to this species in this photo. Usually flushes into a tree when disturbed which is exactly how I captured this photo.

Common incorrect answers were Short-tailed Pipit (tail is much shorter, and breast more heavily streaked and it would very seldom be seen sitting in a tree) and Tree Pipit (has a longer tail).

2. Desert Cisticola: 4/11 had this one correct

Seen at Ezemvelo nature reserve in the NE Gauteng area.
This one was a real toughie and I knew it would cause many problems but I was pleasantly surprised that so many people got it correct first time around – well done :clap:
The only way to really positively ID these species is by call which is what I did. To get to one of the “Cloud scraper/short tailed” Cisticola species already deserves a half point, and then it gets really tricky to impossible :redface: The longer tail (for a short tailed Cisticola) on this bird more or less rules out Cloud and Wing-snapping which have extremly short tails. Zitting is usually a lot darker and well marked above (Desert is paler and more grey) but extremely hard to separate these. The very dry habitat where this bird was captured was probably the best clue of all to the ID.
Most common incorrect answers were Zitting/Cloud Cisticola as I expected, but also Grey-backed/Wailing & Tinkling Cisticola (all have longer tails) and Sedge Warbler (GISS is just wrong for a Warbler).

3. Variable Sunbird (Female): 2/11 had this one correct

Male Variable Sunbird by trevor.charters, on Flickr

Saw this one in Harare - Zimbabwe.
Wow - this bird proved to be so much harder than I thought it would be and only when looking at all the different field guides did I realize why – none show this female very well at all and they are inconsistent in how it is described – even many photos I have seen show a lot of variation in plumage – I guess that is why it is called “Variable” Sunbird.
Just for those who don’t believe me, I have added a photo above of one of 3 males that were present in the same bush at the time :tongue:
Best description I saw was in Roberts’s multimedia “Upperparts grey brown washed olive, breast is washed yellow and faintly streaked with a pale yellow belly” which more or less matches this photo.
I got just about every other Sunbird as incorrect answers – most common was Bronzy (very good guess but has a more decurved bill -luckily not found in Harare) and Amethyst (upper parts plain drab brown, under parts more off-white grey brownish than yellow, with more pronounced streaks) but nearly every Sunbird got a mention :D

4. Dwarf Bittern (Juvenile): 10/11 had this one correct

Seen at Kgomo-Kgomo just north of Gauteng.
This one did not cause many problems with most getting it correct. Dark back with buff-tipped feathers.

5. Short-clawed Lark: 4/11 had this one correct

Seen outside Polokwane in Limpopo.
Tricky part was to ID this as a Lark to begin with as, many people mistakenly thought this was a Pipit, and not surprisingly African Pipit was the most common incorrect answer.
The key clue to separate it from Pipits is the very well marked and richly patterned back – no similar shaped Pipit has back this heavily marked above.
Once you get to Lark – the nice broad creamy eyebrow and Pipit-like shape should get you to the correct answer, as well as the dry habitat.
Karoo Lark was also mentioned but this has much shorter tail and more dumpy shape.

6. Northern Grey-headed Sparrow: 6/11 had this one correct

Photo was actually taken in Ghana :redface:

Was a trick bird :evil: It should have been very easy to ID, but being very restricted in Southern Africa (only in far Northern parts of Botswana) I had hoped to trick a few of you, and boy did it work, with many going for the common Southern GH Sparrow :rtm: Very heavy black bill and nice neat white throat patch separate this species from the Southern.

7. Sentinel Rock-Thrush (Female): 10/11 had this one correct

Seen in the Southern Drakensberg.
Just about everyone got this one. The very upright stance of this bird is the first clue (like a Sentinel) and then the whitish throat and pale speckled brown breast should clinch it.

8. Brown-backed Honeybird: 1/11 had this one correct

Seen in Pretoria East.
This was a real nasty one :twisted: :twisted: All you can see is a plain brown back and a sharp bill, so it should be easy to get to Brown-back Honeybird or the old name of Sharp-billed Honeyguide :tongue: :tongue: Whitish belly is only just visible in this bird and what made it even tougher is that the usual diagnostic white outer tail feathers are not visible at all in this photo :redface:

Was extremely tough and I got answers ranging from every type of Sunbird, to Flycatchers to Owls and even a Bat Hawk :shock: Only Davejenny got it correct :clap: :thumbs_up:

9. Mountain Pipit: 3/11 had this one correct

Seen at Naude’s Neck pass in the Southern Drakensberg near Lesotho.

Together with number 2 & 8 I knew this one would cause the most problems as these are the toughest LBJ’s of all to identify. As a subtle clue I posted it with 10 and near 7 which I thought were a lot easier. I was very surprised that quite a few got it correct first time so well done :clap:
It is clearly a Pipit and not surprisingly most incorrect answers were for African Pipit with a few Long-billed Pipits. I will be the first to admit that to separate these is close to impossible :wall:
The Mountain Pipit probably has the most well marked back of all similar Pipits, and from a distance can appear almost black. It also has very distinct facial markings, with a very dark malar stripe. Pink base to bill can separate it from African as well as buff outer tail feathers (although not that clear in this photo). Long-billed is a lot less well marked both on the back and face.

10. Drakensberg Siskin (Female): 6/11 had this one correct

Seen about 100m from the Pipit above :D
Overall brown color with heavily streaked throat and chest and streaked head, as well as rocky habitat are good clues.

Most common incorrect guesses were Lark-like Bunting (different facial markings with broad buff eyebrow) and Black-throated Canary (the yellow rump would have been visible in this pose). Both of these are usually not as streaked below.

Thanks to all for taking part – I know this was not easy :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Next time I will be much kinder :D

Trevor

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:55 pm 

TrevorC wrote:
Answers - Challenge #26/2014

Many thanks to all who participated in this challenge :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I know this was a real tough one but hopefully you still had fun in trying :D :D
I received 11 entries for the challenge with an average score of 4/10 so this was a really tricky one - well done for trying :clap: :clap:
I have used only the scores from first round entries here, because I gave many people a second chance after giving a few clues :D

Here are the answers:..

2. Desert Cisticola: 4/11 had this one correct...
Seen at Ezemvelo nature reserve in the NE Gauteng area.
This one was a real toughie and I knew it would cause many problems but I was pleasantly surprised that so many people got it correct first time around – well done :clap:
The only way to really positively ID these species is by call which is what I did....

Most common incorrect answers were Zitting/Cloud Cisticola as I expected, but also Grey-backed/Wailing & Tinkling Cisticola (all have longer tails) and Sedge Warbler (GISS is just wrong for a Warbler).
8. Brown-backed Honeybird: 1/11 had this one correct
Seen in Pretoria East. This was a real nasty one :twisted: :twisted: All you can see is a plain brown back and a sharp bill, so it should be easy to get to Brown-back Honeybird or the old name of Sharp-billed Honeyguide :tongue: :tongue: Whitish belly is only just visible in this bird and what made it even tougher is that the usual diagnostic white outer tail feathers are not visible at all in this photo :redface:

Was extremely tough and I got answers ranging from every type of Sunbird, to Flycatchers to Owls and even a Bat Hawk :shock: Only Davejenny got it correct :clap: :thumbs_up:
Thanks to all for taking part – I know this was not easy :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:
Next time I will be much kinder :D Trevor

it sure wasn't easy and if i were to submit an answer to #8 i wouldn't have chosen this one as roberts shows more grey rather than brown. Just goes to show....

next time easer is OK by me :D :pray: :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you so much for the answers with clear explanations TrevorC! Difficult or not, I think this was a great challenge, and I am also sure the 'mites went into a lot of effort to try to ID them! Thank you all who participated! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 pm 

inyanga 1 wrote:
[next time easer is OK by me :D :pray: :pray: :pray:

Don't worry inyanga 1 - will be a few less LBJ's next time :tongue:

Only a pleasure Hilda :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
look forward to an easier challenge, TrevorC :pray:

Thanks for the challenge and for taking the time to answer our queries :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

View our 2013 trip report at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb & Flow at Wilderness, Karoo, Mokala, Augrabies, KTP - booked :-)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:10 pm 

TrevorC, although I did not send answers, I certainly learnt from your challenge!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Looking at the performance numbers, this must be one of the toughest challenges ever posted.

Kudus to those 'mites who attempted this one, you dudes and dolls are awesomely brave! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
Looking at the performance numbers, this must be one of the toughest challenges ever posted.

Kudus to those 'mites who attempted this one, you dudes and dolls are awesomely brave! :clap: :clap: :clap:

..........or foolish, or masochists, or just plain mad :lol: :lol: :lol:

View our 2013 trip report at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb & Flow at Wilderness, Karoo, Mokala, Augrabies, KTP - booked :-)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:29 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Difficult as it was, and no matter how low the scores were, I'm sure all of us enjoyed the challenge! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Challenge #28/2014 will be posted by Guinea Pig on Friday, 25 July 2014! :thumbs_up:

With the school holidays over and done with, let's hope for at least 20 participants! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have completed my research and submitted answers to Pumbaa. Discovered a huge amount in just 8 birds :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44