Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 274  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Maybe I have been away for too long and do not know any more how things work here :hmz:

I have asked twice if it is not the case to put the location of the bird to ID, but have not received any answers! Is there a reason or do you like it the hard way? :twisted:

If I had known the location of the black kite I would not have IDed id it as a yellow-biiled kite and would have scored 7/8 instead of 6/8 :twisted:

I know that you have to have courage to express your opinion on this forum, but please.....this is the BIRD thread :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:47 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Micetta wrote:
I have asked twice if it is not the case to put the location of the bird to ID, but have not received any answers! Is there a reason or do you like it the hard way?

Sorry Micetta! I agree with you, it will definitely be easier to know the location where the picture was taken, but I think it is up to the challengers to decide whether they want to put it up or not? :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta since you asked so nicely, 1 and 4 were seen in Kruger Park :wink:

Although the reason why the location is often not disclosed, is that for some species it would be too easy, all you need to do is look the distribution maps, and then you don't focus on the ID features and you learn nothing from entering :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Too late now :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok I just submitted my answers and I don't know if it is because of the cricket or what but I'm feeling really depressed and not very good about my answers! Really tough number 1.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ferdelance wrote:
Really tough number 1.

I must say #1 has turned out to be a bit of a bummer :)

But some have got it right so far!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Maybe I have been away for too long and do not know any more how things work here :hmz:

I have asked twice if it is not the case to put the location of the bird to ID, but have not received any answers! Is there a reason or do you like it the hard way? :twisted:

If I had known the location of the black kite I would not have IDed id it as a yellow-biiled kite and would have scored 7/8 instead of 6/8 :twisted:

I know that you have to have courage to express your opinion on this forum, but please.....this is the BIRD thread :pray:

Micetta,
In my challenges I specifically don't mention the location as I would like the people to have a closer look at the bird to ID.
The Pale / Dark Chanting Goshawk for instance have specific features to look for to make the correct ID and if I do post the location you will simply just guess the correct species without having a look at the bird..learning the slight differences between species is what it is all about don't you think? :hmz:

I agree that in certain species with almost exactly the same features it is necessary to give location like a few of the smaller cisticola families and a few of the look-a-like Warblers but there are not too many of those around.

Finding new and rare vagrant species in Southern Africa is knowing all the features and ignoring the location... :P

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Lizet for answering :gflower: I suppose, I am just not ready for this level yet :slap: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
I suppose, I am just not ready for this level yet :slap: :wall:

I don't agree! :P
Every time you get something wrong or miss a feature it will be exactly those that you will remember next time...I love making notes in my field guide, if that might help... :hmz:

Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Evening Micetta.

Just to add to what AdrianP and Lizet are saying. To pick up those specials and rarities in the bush you need to almost subconsciously realize something is different with the bird you looking at, and the only why you will do that is to know the regulars really well. The only way to do that is practice and these quizzes are perfect for that! I am not close to the level that Lizet and AdrianP are in terms of features I.D and explaining the details but I know if I try long enough I'll get there..... Don't worry you right where you need to be. You just need to figure out a method of I.Ding that works for you i.e how do you get to the right family and then to the right individual in that family! Oh and one thing I learnt very quickly is that you can never have enough Field guides.... :big_eyes: :cam: :thumbs_up:

Don't give up! Hang in there. Hey I only got 7/10 for #37. That isn't very good for me but a good refresher on my Bird books! :redface:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OK :thumbs_up: .................and now to get an idea of what #1 is :roll: ......actually, I have the ideas, but when I check them out or the colours or the tail do not fit :wall: :wall: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No sweat! I got number 1 wrong..... I still don't know for certain where he fits into the field guide....... :wall: :? :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm 

9/10 #37 :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm 

Ferdelance wrote:
Good Evening Micetta.

Just to add to what AdrianP and Lizet are saying. To pick up those specials and rarities in the bush you need to almost subconsciously realize something is different with the bird you looking at, and the only why you will do that is to know the regulars really well. The only way to do that is practice and these quizzes are perfect for that! I am not close to the level that Lizet and AdrianP are in terms of features I.D and explaining the details but I know if I try long enough I'll get there..... Don't worry you right where you need to be. You just need to figure out a method of I.Ding that works for you i.e how do you get to the right family and then to the right individual in that family! Oh and one thing I learnt very quickly is that you can never have enough Field guides.... :big_eyes: :cam: :thumbs_up:

Don't give up! Hang in there. Hey I only got 7/10 for #37. That isn't very good for me but a good refresher on my Bird books! :redface:

Hi, agree with Ferdelance. I only got 6/10 :redface: You really learn a lot out of the ID's, I also make notes in my field guide. Don't give up

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 274  Next