Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

5/8 - didn't even try the extra questions. Await the answers with anticipation - some of the photos were quite tricky. I did a Raptor ID course a few month ago, so should really have done better. But hey ho!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
That's not to bad Hippotragus, taking into account that you didn't answer the two bonus questions! :clap: :clap:

I only have 6/10, and I think it might be because I have answered one of those questions correctly? I don't know! I am also looking forward to the answers tomorrow! :thumbs_up:

By the way, Adrianp has volunteered to champion Bird ID Challenge #37 as well, so we will see what is awaiting us tomorrow! Please support him guys and gals! I am counting on you! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all! I would like to ask your opinion on adding the location of the sighting/pic of the birds. I know it makes it slightly easier, but when you are out there, you do know where you are and can exclude certain species :w:

I cannot see the difference between a dark -and a pale chanting goshawk, if I do not know if it was seen in KNP or in KTP e.g. :tongue: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A frustrating 6/10 for the latest ID Challenge. This is not good :think: :wall: Well done to those who have scored 8/10. :clap: :clap: I think that most of us must be missing some key pointers. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Mutorashanga wrote:
I think that most of us must be missing some key pointers.

I agree with you Mutorashanga! Can't wait for the results today, as well as for the new challenge by Adrianp! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Got 6/10 as well :tongue: . Must admit that I have still a lot to learn :hmz: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Dear 'mites,

It is with great joy that I can announce that we have commitments for challenges #37 (which Adrianp will put up today, as I have already said before), up to challenge #47 which will be put up on 7 December, with the results on 14 December 2012! I think #47 will be the last one for this year, since most people normally go on holiday in December. We will decide on that later on, but in the meantime, you could think about it, then we can start again on 4 or 11 January 2013.

I will let you know on a weekly basis who volunteered for the next week's challenge.

I just want to thank the following volunteers from the bottom of my heart for their support and assistance with the challenges:

Ferdelance
Adrianp
MattAxel
Lizet Grobbelaar and
Deefstes.

I think I can say, on behalf of all the 'mites who participate in these challenges, that all your effort is really appreciated. Thanks a million! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for entering challenge #36.

The results were on average lower than for most challenges (median 6/10), but I think this was to be expected, since there were some very difficult birds, and I think question 9 was somewhat overcooked…for a food item :twisted:

Just a prelude to raptor ID: adult raptors are generally territorial and as such, the juveniles are usually born with different outfits (like school uniforms) as if to say “please don’t bash me up, I have no intention of stealing your mate or your territory”. As a result, colour is probably one of the least reliable features. The most important thing is to learn the shapes, as if you use colour, e.g. brown streaks on a white chest could be anything from a little sparrow hawk, African goshawk, Cuckoo hawk, or even a young forest buzzard and so you can be completely misled. By understanding shape it is a whole lot easier to put the raptor into the right family group e.g. short broad powerful wings and a long tail would suggest the sparrow hawk family, whereas pointed wing tips would put you among the falcons. Shape is reliable, as it would be almost impossible for a bird to change this. One of the most useful tips with the juveniles is also to look at the proportions of the face and body, and see how the ratios of these compare across photos taken from a similar angle. So, now onto the answers….

1. White backed vulture

2. Cape vulture

Everybody got these right, as the pictures depict the most reliable ID feature, is the colour of the skin (Verwoerd would be proud :shock: ). Black for white backed vulture and pink for cape vulture. Other more cryptic features are black eye in WBV and pale golden eye in adult CV. Eye colour is #$%^ing hard to see in the field and doesn’t work with juvenile CV.

3. African Cuckoo Hawk
This one nearly got me in the field… good thing I had my camera and went back to the pictures. The chest markings say you are on to a juvenile raptor. This sent most of you thinking it was a young accipitor. The head shape and big bulging yellow eyes are the giveaway for a cuckoo hawk. The body shape is not quite right and the tail is also too short to be an accipiter. Interestingly, the other birds in the party weren’t the slightest bit interested in its presence…unlike with a sparrow hawk, you can hear the alarm calls :twisted: . Very well done to those of you who got it right!!!

4. African Goshawk
Most guide books only show the male African Goshawk which has a grey back, and rufus bands on the chest. The female African Goshawk is brown on the back with brown bands. Greenish gray cere and yellow eye are the clinchers. Shame on the guidebooks for not showing a picture of the females :naughty: .

5. Forest Buzzard
No problems here with my daily visitor to my garden in George… the champion of vlei rat catchers I must add!!!

6. Black kite (adult)

A while ago I posted a picture of a kite that I took in Central Kalahari and posted it in a previous challenge. Image

A few of you said it was a juvenile yellow billed kite… which got me thinking, since I had never seen one before, and was not even aware that a kite with a black bill could also be a juvenile yellow billed kite, I started to doubt my ID. I did a lot more reading and discovered that the dominant race of kite in Botswana in summer is in fact yellow billed, outnumbering BK at a ratio of 1:500. The ratio is about 1:3 in NE SA. When I saw the current quiz bird rather late in summer, with a bill that appears to be going yellow at the base, I thought, oh well, probably a transitional juvenile yellow billed that some mites have mentioned before. Then I changed my mind about 15 times, as I went through every text on kites I could find, and about 100 pictures of varying reliability.

So herewith is the sum of my findings:
Both juvenile BK and YBK are difficult to distinguish, both have a black bill with a yellow cere and both have a streaked chest. The only difference mentioned in most text, are that the streaking in BK is more prominent than YBK, with the BK having a darker background with lighter streaks.

Black kite JuvenileImage

Black kite Juvenile Image

Yellow billed Kite (Juvenile)

Yellow billed Kite (Juvenile)

Now that we have the juveniles in their place, it seems that I messed up in the last quiz, as juvenile yellow billed kite is an exact match to the bird I posted :redface: :redface: :redface: . I offer sincere apologies to those that got it right, and sorry for the confusion caused :( . I hope this explanation makes it up.
Further to that, time of year plays some role in distinguishing the two. Apparently, time of year is important for YBK, as the birds breed in spring, and YBKs in juvenile plumage are not seen after January.

Now to move onto the bird I posted. The absence of pale streaking on the chest would suggest it is an adult bird. The partially yellow bill is not necessarily a feature of YBK , and can be seen in BK as per the next picture, which incidentally matches quite well with my bird.

Black kite adult Image

Features of BK would include:
1. Black bill
2. Shallow fork in the tail (YBK is deeper) see the flight pictures. (this can be misleading depending on time of moult)
3. Dark patch extending behind the eye
4. Too late in season for jvl YBK
5. Grey head (hard to see from the picture)

So, black kite it is.

I have certainly learned a lot here. Some taxonomist might suggest that we would all be right, as they are the same species. They were recently separated, as the yellow billed is an inter-African breeding migrant and the black kite is a Palearctic breeding migrant. Since they do not interbreed, the gene pools of these groups have been separated for some time, and through drift over time and local adaptation/ selection, they have diverged enough for some scientists (taxonomists) to call them separate species.

7. Lizzard Buzzard
No problems with this one. I threw him in to bait the last question :twisted: .

8. Amur Falcon (female)
No problems with this one, red feet are the clincher...but what is it eating?

9. Although the guide books say they feed mainly on grasshoppers and other insects. I have often seen them take on newly fledged seed eaters on the Highveld. Young birds are a doddle for these nimble raptors to catch, as they are all quite uncoordinated and inexperienced. In this case it was a juvenile red collared widow. Seen by brown bill and buff edges on the feathers with black underneath… a lot of knowledge of what was fledging at the time helped me to narrow my list considerably. The longer tail would rule out the bishops. Sorry for this one :redface: :redface: . It was way too hard.

10. Which of these raptors is most likely to catch and eat chameleons?
If you got cuckoo hawk right, this would be easy to look up or vice versa. Either way, the principal diet of cuckoo hawk is chameleons and green insects. I guess that explains the big eyes… all the better to see you with :shock: . It was seen in a forest patch on the garden route where my kids love looking for chameleons, and explains why we didn’t see any that day :roll: .

Thanks for entering and I hope you enjoy the next one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And now for challenge 37.

Enjoy :D

Bonus questions:
9. Which of these bird species pictured has the widest global distribution?

10. The Common mynah and Common starling made it onto the world’s 100 most invasive species list. Which other bird made it onto this list?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
7/10 for #36 :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thanks adrianp :thumbs_up:

Love the explanation about the kites though it is still very :? :)

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
adrianp!

Thanks a million for all the info on challenge no 36 :thumbs_up: . This tells me that I have still much to learn, before I can really ID a bird :doh:. Challenge 37 will also keep us busy :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you for the lesson, Adrian :roll: :wink: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

8/10 for me.Thank you Adrian it was a tough one but we learnt a lot.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:26 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We surely learnt a lot, thanks Adrianp! I only realise now how difficult it actually was! :redface: I am really glad for my 6/10 taking that into account! :dance:

Thanks for challenge #37! I am not very confident at the moment, but will try my best! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok I must admit I didn't pay proper attention to the quiz 36 and failed miserably. The cuckoo hawk didn't even come into consideration! I'm gutted with my 6/10! Thats bad....

Oh boy I'll have to do better for #37!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 276  Next