Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vulture: Lammergeier (Bearded)
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Thank you JvR for all that interesting information :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 pm 

We were birding in the Berg over the Easter weekend. Did some research on the bearded one on our return and found this

First I am hearing about this and spoke to folk I know and none of them heard about it either. Did it happen for the World Cup. Does it still happen? Has aybody heard about it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Following on the beardie that visited the Standerton area a while ago, evidence from the collected data obtained by the monitoring program show interesting behaviour from Lefuma, an adult male bearded vulture.

He has travelled unusually far from his nest for an adult male that should be breeding now. Normally breeding adults stay within about a 10km radius of their nest. He travelled to the southern 'Berg, and then a few days later all the way to Port Shepstone at the KZN south coast. This unusual behaviour is still a mystery to the team monitoring the bearded vultures, although it is interesting to note that the flight coincided with extremely strong winds in KZN. A planned survey of his nest site will reveal whether he is actually breeding this season.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
He has travelled unusually far from his nest for an adult male that should be breeding now.... This unusual behaviour is still a mystery to the team monitoring the bearded vultures, although it is interesting to note that the flight coincided with extremely strong winds in KZN.

Maybe the monitoring team could benefit from some arithmetic. 2+2 = 4! :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Came across this article today
Mods, please move if in the wrong thread

http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Vultur ... r-20130623

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Indeed very interesting Foxy! Thank you for the link! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
We had the absolute pleasure of seeing an adult and an immature on Saturday up at Witsieshoek. What an amazing bird!

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am 

Lovely WTM :D :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Beautifully captured too Wildtuinman! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Thank you Hilda and Trev. :D

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Undoubtly the same that we saw at Witsieshoek last Tuesday (18 June) - what a beautiful sight they were!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
You were also very lucky PNF! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Giant's Castle NR.

Lammergeier Hide.

These are magic words in the birder's vocabulary for they evoke delightful images of arguably our most vulnerable vulture, the Bearded Vulture, for those who have visited this quaint little hide in a KZN nature reserve situated in the spectacular southern Drakensberg mountains near Mooirivier in Natal.

Getting to put your name down for a day or two in the hide that can only house three photographers at a time is not easy as tourists, birders and wildlife photographers queue up to utilise the well-designed surveillance shelter. Weekends and holidays are just impossible. The trick is to take what is available even if it is many months into the future... The cost is expensive. The flat rate of R750 for a day is worth it, though.

I got lucky!

Tobie Pretorius, a young birding friend and CAR partner managed to book the vulture hide for two days earlier this month and he needed someone to share the experience with him. I jumped at the opportunity… This was not a chance to let slip through the fingers!

We got the key to the hide from reception early Sunday morning together with a 20 litre bucket half-filled with large bones stripped of most of the meaty bits. The drive up to the hide requires a 4x4 as the road gets steep and requires some “rock-crawling” in places. The parking place is some 200m away from the hide, but one can stop very close to the hide to off-load equipment before parking the vehicle.

This is the reverse view to the hide: the "restaurant" is a flat top surrounded by steep cliffs where I stood to take this shot.

Breath-taking!

My previous experiences with Bearded vultures were fleeting sightings of individual birds, usually against sharp light so that only a silhouette remained captured in my mind. The Lammergeier hide is right at the top of the hill. This often facilitated unusual views of the breaded vultures as they ride the thermals at different altitudes.

The fly-bys are often very close and happen regularly, giving one ample opportunity to practice your bird-in-flight shots.

I saw at least 11 different individuals in the five days spent in the 'berg. At one stage we had nine birds simultaneously aloft and flying around the hide. That is an incredible experience when seeing just one bird is considered special. However, in two days at the hide this juvenile bird was the only one to land in view of the hide, but not where we put out the food. We did not actually see the landing, but I got the take-off shot!

Juveniles are incredibly vulnerable to a variety of threats. Of the 17 birds that were fitted with satellite tracking devices during the past four years as part of a special research program, six have died... all of them juvenile birds and five of these are thought to be due to poisoning, one died of a collision with power lines.

Although the bearded vultures tend to be relatively singular when sighted, I got very excited when these two birds performed a coordinated fly-by. I'm also happy that the resultant photograph bears some resemblance to the event! Often when one experiences this sort of thing in the wild, the pix turn out disappointingly poor...

Some new fun facts about the Bearded Vultures:

The mood of a Bearded vulture can be told by the coloration of the red frame around its eyes. The more excited the bird is the more bright and intensive becomes the red color.

22 years is the average lifespan of a bearded vulture in the wild, but they can live beyond 40.

Male vultures become mature at the age of 8 or 9, females one year sooner, which is among the highest age for any raptor in the world to start reproducing.

A breeding pair rears only one chick per year. This hatchling must be fed meat which is very difficult to find naturally nowadays. The few vulture restaurants scattered throughout its range provides some respite, but they too contain their own challenges like large resident raven populations that have come to defend these bounties against the bearded vultures with a noticeable degree of success.

The entire southern African population is now estimated to be less than 400 birds and the population is continuing to decline by 2.5 percent per annum. The total number of active nest sites have declined from an estimated 240 in the early 1980’s to 92 at present.

Degradation of habitat, disturbance in breeding areas through human activities and poisoned carcasses aimed at other "pests" are but a few of the many threats facing this iconic bird, causing a 2.5 percent decline in its population year-on-year. This means within 50 years their numbers will dwindle to below 100 birds!

Last edited by Johan van Rensburg on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great pics JvR! It is sad that this vulture may become extinct within this century.........hopefully the people from KZN who are tracking some of them by satellite will come up with an answer that will save this bird.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
what a chance to watch these Vultures :dance: :clap:
both Johan and wildtuinman :D

we try to re introduce them, in the mountains in Switerland, and for that moment is a succes, but very difficult to see one :?
people how manage the re introduction, don't want to tell where they are... and it's normal :thumbs_up:
maybe one day... I will find one :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next