SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Honeyguide, Lesser
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Had a great sighting of it in Walter Sisulu botanical gardens on Saturday. It was perched on a branch overhanging the croc river.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After hearing it for a month now, calling from the same tree, I finally got the camera out on Friday to take the photo!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Taken in Stilfontein ... can't believe my luck :dance:

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 pm 

Hello all

I tried desperately to get a Kruger booking for the June holidays but to no avail (my own stupid fault) and had to alter plans ast the last minute and went to Ndumo (had a wonderful time), then spent time with my sons at Secunda and spent time at Marievale (stunning). Now my question: this is a Kruger forum but can I ask about some of the birds I got at Ndumo and at Mrievale? Does protocol restrict me to Kruger?

Please note that I go to trouble to ID the bird first and do not simply paste one on and ask for an ID.

Note; I did not get a Twinsport nor did Iget a Trogon but I did get a Nicator and a Forest Weaver. At Marievale I got a beautiful Rail and Snipe and Marsh Harrier. Coming from the Western Cape with its ten diferent species it was like Christmas.

So back to the question - can I post queries here and in the approriate threads?

And yes - I missed Kruger badly. Very badly. I am planning a Christmas booking for 2014 and will book a year in advance. Watch for the yellow ribbon.

Pete

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi pnm

As far as I'm aware you can post pictures for ID here no matter where they were taken, but one of the moderators must correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

pnm wrote:
Please note that I go to trouble to ID the bird first and do not simply paste one on and ask for an ID.

This is good :thumbs_up: Too many people just snap and then ask for ID without trying themselves first. You won't learn much doing it that way, and you should always at least make some effort to ID the bird yourself before asking.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MattAxel wrote:
This is good :thumbs_up: Too many people just snap and then ask for ID without trying themselves first. You won't learn much doing it that way, and you should always at least make some effort to ID the bird yourself before asking.
So right!!! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

I am busy slowly IDing all the pics and will only send those that have me stumped. I have just confirmed with a friend my first African Goshawk (taken in Ndumo). I strongly believe that one must try to ID the bird oneself - if you are wrong or make a horrible mistake it makes no matter. The whole point of birdwatching is top ID birds and not just to tick them off. Watching is the word. Enjoy looking at them. Only by trying does one learn - and I have learnt a lot from my time on the forum - like my first (embarrassing now) attempt to ID a cisticola (Levaillant's in the end). I missed so many obvious things and forum members put me on the right track so that now I look for things they advised me to and now my ID skills are slowly improving.

Keep well
Peter

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Micetta wrote:
MattAxel wrote:
So right!!! :clap: :clap:
Agree too :thumbs_up:
and try to post distinct photo, from the face and the back, the most we can see, the most we learn :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Hi pnm,

I work at Century City since October last year and I have seen 47 species there, so get out of Paarl. :wink:

I also check out my books, but occasionally look stoopid when I overlook the obvious.

Any bird seen in Southern Africa sems to be welcome here.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
MattAxel wrote:
As far as I'm aware you can post pictures for ID here no matter where they were taken, but one of the moderators must correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

I agree with you MattAxel, but let me just make double sure pnm! I'll come back to you in this regard. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

Hello all

I asked if I cpould put a few photos ( I have a total of three species which i cannot ID ) from Ndumo. everybody seemed to say "Yes" so here goes. Please note that the addresses of the images for Photobucket seem to change every time I work on it so I hope what I have is not double photos or something weird.

There are three pictures of the same bird below. I wrote that I like to try to ID myself first before asking for help. I have worked through Roberts print and Roberts CD and am going to suggest 476 Lesser Honeyguide.

Why: Falls into Ndumo area, bill is black to horn colour and fairly heavy compared to other honeyguides, eyes dark, Forehead to nape grey (well, sort of), colour of beak at bottom - a sort of dirty yellow. Clearly marked back and clear belly. The bird was in deep shade, was sitting very still at about 14:00 and made no call.

I have never seen a Honeyguide before but it was all that was left when I had eliminated such unlikely options as the Grey Cuckooshrike.

Thanks
Pete

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
could be a Lesser Honeyguide... I'm looking forward to have the solution
like you, never saw :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:54 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
pnm wrote:
Now my question: this is a Kruger forum but can I ask about some of the birds I got at Ndumo and at Mrievale? Does protocol restrict me to Kruger?

So back to the question - can I post queries here and in the approriate threads?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Like MattAxel said earlier on, you are not restricted to ask for IDs for birds seen in Kruger only! You can ask for IDs for birds seen ANYWHERE!

The Moderators agreed, it need NOT be birds seen in any of the SANParks only! It could be anywhere! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Come to think of it, some of the bird theads are on birds found nowhere near a NP. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pete, regarding your first post, it is indeed a Lesser Honeyguide. Photo 2 shows the black malar stripe which is a key ID feature.