Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: MEGA ticks
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In the past few weeks there has been some great mega tics in the Gauteng area. Looking back in the past there are frequently mega ticks elsewhere in the country.

The aim of this post is to provide a place where info can be placed on what these mega tics are and where to find them. I noticed another old thread on ultra rare birds, but this was more a “brag list” than a help to go and find the current ones.

At present I am aware of 2 Mega tics:

Franklins Gull at Centurion lake, which at last report was still there. Details on can be found in these 2 threads:

Franklins gull

Franklins Gull

The other is the Lesser Black Backed Gull spotted at Leeupan, close to Leandra, in Mpumalanga (close to Gauteng border.)

This bird was first spotted on Monday 25 August and was again spotted today. Information to get there can be found in a post at SABN :

LBBG at SABN

Post subject: Re: MEGA ticks
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Lesser Black-backed Gull was still present at more or less the same spot this morning.
At around 7h25 it flew as it had done earlier. When I left at 8h00 it had not returned but I'm sure it is still somewhere on the dam. It would fly off, make a few circles and return to the same spot. Seems to be this bird's routine for the day.

Also a lot of Coots, Flamingos, Little Stints, Kittlitz's Plovers, Southern Pochards, Egyptian Geese, Cape Longclaw etc to be seen around the dam.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

And hows this for a nice tick and in Kruger nogal. News just in via SA Bird Net. Birders in the area was asked to keep a look out for these and double check the Golden-breasted Buntings they see.

Quote:
I have just returned from a trip to the northern Kruger Park.

On Saturday 23rd August at about 16h00 I was watching other birds, on the westernmost point of the Mahoni Loop at Punda Maria, when a pair of Cabanis'
Bunting flew into a bush not 5 metres from me. They allowed me to observe them for about 20 seconds before they disappeared. The first thing I became aware of was the unusual head pattern which caused me to examine the birds closer. The grey mantle and back was very evident and strikingly different to the chestnut of the Golden-breasted Bunting.

This is highly unusual as they are well south of their nearest habitat in central Zimbabwe.

On the same day recorded Barn Swallows, Greenshank, Wood and Common Sandpipers, back from their winter overseas.

Trevor Thompson

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Saw that as well. It seems to be more or less the same area where the Hyliotas have been reported from? I also went looking there before but have not had any luck up to now.
I also saw a post from Andre Botha mentioning a Black-eared
Seed-eater he located in the same area.

Are we maybe seeing some Miombo birds moving in? That would be fantastic!

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Eish. So I drove to Leeuwpan this morning for a serious DIP. I should have left my bed in Pretoria even earlier than 4.45am because the Lesser Black-backed Gull was showing nicely from 6h00 untill 6h45. When I arrived someone was still following the bird with a scope far away, but then lost it. From then on a strong wind started blowing and the gull presumably didn't feel like doing it's flying rounds.

Several eager parties - me included - explored several dirt roads around the dam but to no avail and my time was up at 8.30am. :cry:

Not sure if I really like this twitching business... What I did enjoy was the general birding around the dam and I added 12 new ticks to my Mpumalanga list (now on 244). A brilliant close-up sighting of a group of Orange River Francolins was the highlight.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 pm 

JoelR wrote:
Eish. So I drove to Leeuwpan this morning for a serious DIP. I should have left my bed in Pretoria even earlier than 4.45am because the Lesser Black-backed Gull was showing nicely from 6h00 untill 6h45.

Just received the latest Rare Bird Alert from Trevor Hardeker and according to that the bird was showing at 12:30 today so you left to early :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
...the bird was showing at 12:30 today so you left to early :lol:

:cry:

If I was only a fulltime birder and could hang around some random splash of water on weekdays for hours and hours...

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I just had this email in this morning from the SABAP2 Team:

Quote:
HI All

One of the new trainee guides Bethuel Morudu is based at the Blouberg Nature Reserve, he has located Ruppel's Vulture in the Cape Vulture colony and is avalible to take birders to the site. It is best if you have a scope as you need to stand quite far back from the mountain to see the bird. He says the birds are breeding at the moment so there is a good chance of seeing it as it is spending quite a bit of time at the nest. A vehicle with good clearance is needed to get to the site. The reserves number is 015 593 0702 or 015 593 0156.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That would be a nice sighting!!!!! :shock:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member