Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Harrier: Pallid
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I need to double check myself here as I am still testing out my new book :lol: .

Is this a pallid harrier , and if so , how rare a sighting is this , as I don't recall seeing these very often .
Seen midway on the s100 on Monday .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Hellz bellz, it looks like a very light-coloured dark-chanting goshawk to me. I will have to consult my raptor guide thou. Sorry boet, can't nail this for you just yet. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes it is a Pallid Harrier. Although not that common they are still seen on a regular basis. The area around Satara is very good for them. Nice pic bucky

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes, it is a Palid Harrier and no, they are not common at all, especially not a beautiful male specimen as this. Good shot.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry WTM

I must disagree with you. A stunning photo of a male Pallid Harrier.

Reasons against a pale DCG. The lack of bars below the breast and also the yellow and not red legs and the same for the cere.

The things that exclude Montagu's Harrier is also the lack of streaks on the underside.

Kind regards
Hanno Langenhoven

Post subject: Harriers!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK, I'm going to get laughed at for even trying to attempt to separate a female Pallid from Montagu's Harrier, but lets put the skills to the test! The pics are horrible (so was the weather!) Seen inbetween Shingwedzi and Letaba this Monday. (At Nshawu 1 to be exact)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

My ID would be female Pallid, based on the more distinct brown markings on the face (Picture 1 & 2), and the "joined" dark brown lines on the end of the underside of the wings. (Picture 3) There is also a paler "shoulder" on top of the wing which I don't believe Montagu's shows. (Picture 1 & 2)

Cheers

Niall.

Post subject: Re: Harriers!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Niall wrote:
OK, I'm going to get laughed at for even trying to attempt to separate a female Pallid from Montagu's Harrier, but lets put the skills to the test!

Wow Niall, I will applaud you for at least one thing, and that is the fact that you acknowledge how difficult it is to seperate female Pallid and Monty's Harriers. :wink:

May I direct your attention to this page that deals in great detail with the matter of seperating the two?

I'm very hesitant to make an ID call on your bird but the more I look at it the more I lean towards juvenile Pallid.

Reasons:

1. The bird seems to show no streaking on the underparts (body). I have to say, the pictures really lack detail so this is not a strong feature.

2. The dark vertical line behind the eye seems to show up well in pic2 which I think is a particularly good feature of juv Pallid.

3. Primaries are clearly barred. Juvenile Monty's would have had almost no barring on primaries. Unfortunately female and sub-adult Monty's would also have had barring on the primaries so it's not clear cut.

4. Pale nape. I'm not sure if this is a reliable ID feature but to my knowledge it points to fem/juv Pallid.

4. I think the strongest feature in all of your pics is the underside of the outer tail feathers on pic3. Juvenile Pallid shows a washed out outer tail feather of which the bands are almost not visible (in contrast to the inner tail feathers). It's almost as if the bands on the undertail stop just before the outer tail feathers.

Whoa! What a ride! I started off being very doubtfull that this bird coud be identified but the more I studied it the more I felt that an ID could be possible and towards the end I "almost" felt confident with juv Pallid. I think this is a very good example of where a bird that would have been unidentifiable in the field became identifiable even with poor pictures.