Junior Virtual Ranger

Have a look at this thread.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Re: Bird watching in September 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm 

HI joshilewis and dabchick,

Thanks for your help! After reading your responses, related threads and reviews on amazon.com, I am leaning towards Ian Sinclair's field guide to birds of S. Africa.

The organization is similar to my Birds of North America by Kenn Kaufman which I find very easy to use. Since I also plan to visit Cape Town, the Northern Cape, Central and Northern Namibia, the S.Africa book makes the most sense.

By the way, what is the best way to meet up with other birders in Kruger once I'm there? I read on another forum about posting a request. Is this recommended? I also read about putting a yellow ribbon on your side mirror.

Thanks!
:D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All 3 books cover the 'southern Africa', defined as south of the Zambezi and Kunene rivers.

Another note, both the Sasol and Roberts have annotated plates - i.e. wording next to the picture of the bird - whereas the Newmans doesn't. These annotations are very helpfull in trying to identify birds (without having to refer to the text on the facing page).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 pm 

Thanks, I ended up ordering "Birds of Southern Africa (Princeton Field Guides)". I like their illustrations better.

Post subject: Re: Latest Kruger hotspots
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm 

I saw Temminck's Courser and Kittlitz's Plover at Mooiplaas WH last Thursday and Friday.

Post subject: Birding in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:18 pm 

I love Kruger, been there already three times. My plan is to go to Punda Maria in mid july for a long weekend. What's the birding like in that time of year?

Last weekend i saw a saddle billed stork across the river at Lower Sabie Restcamp, that made my day unfortunally no pictures.... that is one bird wich is high on my list.
Will it still be there around mid july?

Post subject: Re: Birding in Kruger in july
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:31 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's winter, so you will miss all the summer guests. But birding with Frank (at Pafuri picnicspot) will still be a joy!
Saddlebilled are supposed to be rare, but to tell you the truth, I still have to have my first visit without seeing quite a few. Then again, it is a National Park, and the birds feel safe there.
So keep the eyes open, camera ready for the next time you see it!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Bart47!
Birding in Northern Kruger is always good - even in winter. During 4 trips there in various years over the June/July period, we averaged between 50 and 60 birds in a week to 10 day time period. Saddle-billed stork was recorded on 2 occasions. You have to go to Pafuri picnic site - agree with DuQues, Frank is a wonder and will conjure up birds where there weren't any a second ago!
Enjoy it!

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Bart47,

Birding in the Northern parts of Kruger is always an amazing experience.

Species to look out for are..

Yellow Bellied Greenbul (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Wattle Eyed Flycatcher (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Retz Helmet Shrike (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
African Yellow White Eye (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Lemon Breasted Canary (Crooks Corner)
African Pygmy Kingfisher (Crooks Corner)
Tambourine Dove (Crooks Corner)
African Cuckoo Hawk (Crooks Corner)
Trumpeter Hornbill (Crooks Corner)
Crowned Hornbill (Crooks Corner)
Broad Billed Roller (Punda Maria)
Racket Tailed Roller ( Mohonie Loop)
Eastern Nicator ( Punda)

These are just some of the nice species to get while up here ;)

Try the Mohonie Loop around Punda Maria for grey Headed Parrot and Racket Tailed Roller, and if your lucky Southern Hyliota. The camp itself provides amazing birding, with Pink Throated Twinspot often makes an appearance here at the bird bath near the reception area. Crowned Hornbill is often found inside the camps boundaries as well.

Check the area around reception and the luxury tents for Bearded Scrub Robin, White Throated Robin Chat and Eastern Nicator.

Barn Owl is also often found inside the camp at night and one must keep their ears open for their screeching call.

Red Faced Cisticola is also common in the area and one must keep an eye open for them near the waterways and ponds. Temmincks Courser is also common in this area, but extremely hard to find. Search the open grasslands and recently burnt areas.

Take a night drive, as this may produce both Spotted Eagle Owls and White faced Scops Owl, and maybe even Verouxes Eagle owl. Fiery Necked Nightjar and Bronze Winged Courser may also make a guest apearance. Just make sure you tell your guide that you are interested in the birdlife as well, and im sure he will acocmodate you.

Hope this helps ;)

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Batmad wrote:
Hi Bart47,

Birding in the Northern parts of Kruger is always an amazing experience.

Species to look out for are..

Yellow Bellied Greenbul (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Wattle Eyed Flycatcher (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Retz Helmet Shrike (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
African Yellow White Eye (Pafuri Picnic Spot)
Lemon Breasted Canary (Crooks Corner)
African Pygmy Kingfisher (Crooks Corner)
Tambourine Dove (Crooks Corner)
African Cuckoo Hawk (Crooks Corner)
Trumpeter Hornbill (Crooks Corner)
Crowned Hornbill (Crooks Corner)
Broad Billed Roller (Punda Maria)
Racket Tailed Roller ( Mohonie Loop)
Eastern Nicator ( Punda)

These are just some of the nice species to get while up here ;)

Try the Mohonie Loop around Punda Maria for grey Headed Parrot and Racket Tailed Roller, and if your lucky Southern Hyliota. The camp itself provides amazing birding, with Pink Throated Twinspot often makes an appearance here at the bird bath near the reception area. Crowned Hornbill is often found inside the camps boundaries as well.

Check the area around reception and the luxury tents for Bearded Scrub Robin, White Throated Robin Chat and Eastern Nicator.

Barn Owl is also often found inside the camp at night and one must keep their ears open for their screeching call.

Red Faced Cisticola is also common in the area and one must keep an eye open for them near the waterways and ponds. Temmincks Courser is also common in this area, but extremely hard to find. Search the open grasslands and recently burnt areas.

Take a night drive, as this may produce both Spotted Eagle Owls and White faced Scops Owl, and maybe even Verouxes Eagle owl. Fiery Necked Nightjar and Bronze Winged Courser may also make a guest apearance. Just make sure you tell your guide that you are interested in the birdlife as well, and im sure he will acocmodate you.

Hope this helps ;)

Wow Batmad! - I'm going to keep this information. Although I've been birding in that area several times, there are still many of the birds you list on my wishlist - I must spend more time at the picnic spot and Crooks Corner it seems :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:25 am 

I was up in that area yesterday and I got two Woolly-necked Storks at the Luvuvhu River.

Post subject: Oct/Nov KNP Birding
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 pm 

Hi All,

I'll be spending two weeks in KNP (last week in Oct, first week Nov). Let's hear what you all say regarding 3 birds to look out for at each Skukuza, Pretoriuskop, Lower Sabie, Satara and Olifants.

My Roberts Bird guide will be at the ready alongside by Bushnell four eyes.

I'm hoping to see woodpekker within Satara again and also a good few owls. Never seen a Pel's Fishing owl, but that is wishful thinking with their rarity.

My favourite raptor is a close call between a Bateluer and a Martial Eagle. The Purlpe-Crested Turaco and also Woodlands Kingfisher are other favourite birds. Never seen a Trumpeter Hornbill, but sadly not going far north so think that one will have to be for later.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Post subject: Kruger in January
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 am 

Hi regular visitor from the UK but usually come in October. Next visit is for 12 days in January out of Letaba, Satara and Skukuza. really hoping for Carmine beeater as never seen them anywhere in africa. any good sites on my route? anything else i should be looking for? :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Kruger in January
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Hi Norfolk tiger,

Satara and Skukuza will both be great for Southern Carmine Bee-eater. The golf course in Skukuza is a fairly reliable place, if you would like to get photos of them.

Many more birds awaiting you in Kruger at this time of the year. Enjoy! :D

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Kruger in January
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Also try the S100 and S126(Sweni Road?), both these roads will deliver Carmine Bee-Eaters guaranteed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next