Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:05 am 

Looks as if everybody forgot the birdhide at Kanniedood :? .Also just at sundown there are usually owls just outside the camp gate at the big dead tree on the left about 1km. from the gate.
Bird watching at he pool is not bad either,plenty of waders,divers and preeners. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
Hi Bucky
A special at Shingwedzi is the Palm Collared Thrush. If you look at the little road circle in camp just past the shop/reception it has a whole lot of palm trees in it. Scan these for the PCT as they are often there.

Snoonab I'm sure you are referring to these palm trees near the shops at Shingwedzi. I often have a siesta after lunch there so I must scan the canopy for the Collared Palm Thrush. I saw him on the roof of B46 two years ago...much prefer to see him in a tree!!

{5.7 Mb original}

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I know the trees , will defs go look there .(Interesting perspective photo Peter .)

Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

I have been to Shing very often , but always searching for big game while the birding is a new pursuit , so thanks for all the special tick tips guys :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

bucky wrote:
Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

Laine has a very interesting story to tell bout an encounter @ this hide. Laine!!! :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I find Kanniedood hide as one of the worst for birding in Kruger. I really wish that there were more hides like Lake Panic.

Bucky, the Shingwedzi area is overall excellent for birds. Look out for Pygmy falcons, you never know how lucky you might get.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
I find Kanniedood hide as one of the worst for birding in Kruger. I really wish that there were more hides like Lake Panic.

I agree.
If you want to build a hide it needs to be at or near a section of water that will have mudflats for waders and other birds. Kanniedood is built on a rather deep and permanent pool of the Shingwedzi river. I have never seen exposed mudflats from the hide.

Post subject: Birds of a feather
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:25 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Johan
I would not regard myself as an expert bird guide at all. But sometimes I can spot the difference between a duck and an eagle, which is why WTM thinks I am a good bird guide because he battles with that! :twisted: :twisted: :P
He also battles with seeing and identifying open-billed storks right in front of his eyes.
If it wasn't for me checking up on him, he would have missed that lifer! Pah! :twisted: :lol:
Seriously though, speaking of birds in Kruger, the latest Birds and Birding Magazine has an extensive article on birding in the KNP written by my colleague Chris Patton (who also slips onto the forum every now and then but I am not revealing his forum name to protect the innocent!).
Anyway, try and get hold of it if you can, it really gives some good info and tips on where to see what, when.
While visiting Tamboti Tented Camp last week, I saw a barred owl right outside the unit we inspected (strangely enough, my first barred owl in Kruger) but it just shows that you never really know what you going to see where and when.
Just prior to that, I got home late to my house in the Skukuza Staff Village and there was a barn owl in the tree next to my braai area.
He saw me first and was leaning forward with his face feathers spread out so I dashed into the house to get the camera but by the time I got back out again he had flown to the next door neighbours garden.
I could still hear him calling late into the night (kinda spooky but really a magnificent experience) but I haven't seen him since then.
Previously, my owl spots in my garden have been two white faced owls and a scops owl (on a number of occasions) but never two different species in a week!
So last week it was my week for owls.
Life is tough!

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Posted on behalf of KNPSpokesperson

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:48 am 
Guru
Guru

I am now checking it out and see that I might have miss-IDed this owl.
That dark line between the eyes seems to indicate a scops and not a barred.
Its just my guide shows a scops to have a very grey chest whereas this bird has got a white chest with definite "bars".
I've asked others for confirmation and will post as soon as I get it.

The guides I was with that day - one of them a big birder (although not a KNP guide) - confirmed it as a barred and, at the time, I had no reason to disagree with him.

All was revealed during that weekend and it'll need a few nights around a campfire to explain to you WTM's psychological profile (which my wife and I have analysed completely).

Glad you got into Shingwedzi for the second weekend of the Big Birding event. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just going on the pic I would say it a Scops

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I don't know if this will work. What I am attempting (for the first time) is this neat trick of inserting a link to another place in the forum where one can then view some data that further helps to illustrate one's point - in this case some really nice shots of African barred owlets. I found it under the Bird forum index under "Owls, Owlets, Eagle-owls". These clearly illustrates the features of the African barred owl. It is a bird I do not have in my own collection of bird images, otherwise I could have "bragged" about it a bit.

KNPSM, I am keen on all owls – fascinating, eerie, mysterious

However, this post is more a personal experiment than anything else. So, here goes...

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11705

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 am 
Guru
Guru

Yip, I'm convinced.
It is a classic "go-on-what-everyone-else-around-is-saying-rather-than-go-though-the-motions-of-ID-myself" mistake. :redface: :redface:

Definitely a Scops!!

And just to confirm it, I asked a "Guy" :D I know:

Nice to hear from you.

The bird is definitely a Scops Owl "take a look in the Roberts Multimedia" the first pic was a bird I filmed in Berg-en-dal.

Regards

Guy Gibbon
Southern African Birding cc

I also find owls fascinating.
It is also amazing that most cultures view them with similar legends.
The book "I Heard an Owl Call My Name" says that American Indians regard the bird as a sign of death and I have spoken to some Swazi people I know and they also believe an owl brings death.
I know that in certain European cultures, it is also believed.

Think of the implications, different people many thousands of kilometres away believing the same thing - there must be something in that (but I am blowed to think what it is ...).

For myself, I marvel at their beauty and mystery.
And I am also quite impressed with their rat catching abilities - many a barn has been cleared of rodents when an owl family has moved in - and general strength.

I was once driving in the Flora Cliff/Constantia Cliff area of Roodepoort (where I did most of my schooling) and this eagle owl took off in front of my old Peugeot 504 and his wingspan seemed to stretch from one side of the car to the other.

Incidentally, between our resident owls and the African Goshawk that often snoops around the place, I have never seen any mice or rats in my garden or home here in Skukuza.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject: Re: Advice on Birding Hotspots
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

nightjar wrote:
I know the whole KNP is great for birding but I would like some advice on the best birding hotspots to visit. I know Pafuri and Lake Panic are excellent but what other places do forum members rate? I will be in the Park for most of December and am staying in seven camps from Berg to Punda Maria so most locations should be within reach at some point on my itinerary.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

For me the best birding spots are camps and picnic spots. Where you can leisurely stroll on your own pace to find birds.

Punda has a lovely birding trail called the fly-catcher trail. A must do!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Punds camp in general is very good. The Kanniedood dam road out Shingwedzi is also very good.
Mopani camp area is a bit thin but the pioneer dam is very good as is the s142 (Shongololo Loop) road.
The roads around Engelhard Dam are also very good.
Satara area is good for raptors, larks, pipits and cisticolas as well as all the other specials.
Lower Sabie camp is very good and although very busy in Dec the main Skukuza LS tar road great.
On exiting Lower Sabie travel south to Croc Bridge, just before the H5 turnoff the area can be very marshy (Spec in Dec) and is very good for birding.
I haven't been to Skukuza/P-Kop/BnD for agea so can't tell you much of that area.
Basically any waterhole early morning or late afternoon should be doog.
Go to the bird page on SANParks website and you should find some interesting reading and a few good pointers.
Enjoy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Don’t forget the boardwalk at Skukuza nursery.
And schedule a decent slice of time for it.
It is close to camp so you can get there very early and enjoy the dawn chorus.
On your way back you can check in at Lake Panic.
I think LP is better later in the morning.
Early on it tends to be misty – great for mood shots, but bad for bird pix.

Also the S100 is a great drive.
Turn in at those little loops and look out for those huge fruit-bearing trees.
And don’t be in a hurry.
It is amazing to sit there for a while and see how the birds disappear when traffic approaches, just to reappear a few minutes later.
Make a point of carefully scanning the river and its banks before you move on.
Doing the drive this way will take most of a morning, don’t be in a hurry.

A cannot remember which forumite gave me the tip of the drive down the S41 to Sweni hide from the T-junction with the S100, but I am glad I did it.
This road crosses small water courses a number of times.
Each of these crossings reveal feathered treasures if you just wait long enough.

I will be visiting the KNP early in Feb 07 for the 2nd HR birding weekend.
I am so looking forward to those few days that hearing of someone spending DECEMBER in the KNP has me green with envy. 300 ticks, at least! ENJOY!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next