How many birds on your list

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Re: How many birds on your list

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 am

Laine is up to 558 after African Pygmy Goose.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Tilandi
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tilandi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:31 pm

After an enjoyable birding weekend my total moves up with 2 - 428

427 Sociable Weaver - Schweizer Reneke
428 Ovambo Sparrowhawk - Stilfontein :redface: :redface: :redface: :dance: :dance:

Hehehehe, that's what happens if you're working, or at least trying to, but mind is full of the birdies
Last edited by Tilandi on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest lifer Great Sparrow

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)
Awards: Birder of the Year (2014) & Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)

Unread postby Johan van Rensburg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Tilandi wrote:After an enjoyable birding weekend my total moves up with Ovambo Sparrowlark - Stilfontein :dance: :dance:

I've got first dibs on this species! Driving through to Stillies TONIGHT!! Must see! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
671 Latest lifer: Black coucal

mel123
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby mel123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm

:funny:

Tilandi
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tilandi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Johan van Rensburg wrote:I've got first dibs on this species! Driving through to Stillies TONIGHT!! Must see! :twisted:

What time can I expect you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Latest lifer Great Sparrow

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Tilandi wrote:
Johan van Rensburg wrote:I've got first dibs on this species! Driving through to Stillies TONIGHT!! Must see! :twisted:

What time can I expect you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also have know idea where to find one of those, despite patrolling many 'reliable' spots...

pnm

Unread postby pnm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:14 pm

About six months ago I bought Roberts on CD - it has given me endless fun and is a great aid in bird ID (but I still use Sasol and Roberts books to check). Part of the programme is a wonderful section where one can record personal lists, but it has the useful (?) feature that does not allow one to enter birds twice with the result that now that I have a computer controlled list rather than one controlled by human error I lost quite a few birds to errors in recording Roberts numbers, spelling of names etc. I went below my original list but ventured out to Paarl sewage works (my wife's idea) to try to undo the damage a bit and got the list back up a bit and am now on 330.

Anybody else out there suffer the same fate ever?

Pete
Pete

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jungle Junkie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 am

I have to confess, I am keeping my list on Excel and as I thought I was getting close to 300 Southern Africa birds did a check - I found many duplicates, spelling, new names etc, so I corrected it and my SA total is. . .276 so my target for 2012 is revised to 300

I have a separate Zambian list which is at 30 which I have not seen in Southern Africa.

Sorry :|
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

jacliz

Unread postby jacliz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 pm

After a long drought, have now boosted my list by 51! Barn Owl at KTP last October, and then another 50 from our recent tour :P .
5 at MZNP, inc. Black-headed Canary, Grey-winged Francolin and Black Harrier
10 at Addo inc. Red-necked Spurfowl, Southern Tchagra and Red-capped Lark
3 at Storms River Mouth
7 at Nature's Valley, including White-starred Robin, Olive Woodpecker and Olive Bush-Shrike
7 at Wilderness inc. Purple Swamp Hen
4 at Agulhas inc. Denham's Bustard
12 at WCNP and 2 others along the way.
Managed to photograph most of them. That means I have at long last zoomed passed the 400 mark with 422!
KTP
Oct 29/Nov 14: KTC, Urikaruus, Grootkolk, Nossob, KK, KTC
February 15: Agulhas, Storms River, Golden Gate, Mountain Zebra, Addo, Wilderness
March 15: KTP camping :)

adrianp
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adrianp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm on about 567, but boy have I saturated (I'm lucky to get one or two lifers a year these days). Most of the missing birds from my Southern African list are all sea birds, and for me going out to sea is equated to fish feeding :mrgreen: Other than sea birds, what remains are a few endemics, and rarities that may or may not come my way. I will have to travel about 20,000km around southern africa just to pick up the endemics....which sounds like a lot of fun.... imagine how terrible life would be if I had seen them all :whistle:

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 pm

504 for me still :) Going through a bit of a dry period at the moment :)
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:32 am

adrianp wrote:I'm on about 567, but boy have I saturated (I'm lucky to get one or two lifers a year these days). Most of the missing birds from my Southern African list are all sea birds, and for me going out to sea is equated to fish feeding :mrgreen: Other than sea birds, what remains are a few endemics, and rarities that may or may not come my way. I will have to travel about 20,000km around southern africa just to pick up the endemics....which sounds like a lot of fun.... imagine how terrible life would be if I had seen them all :whistle:

I know that feeling adrianp, I have ticked 625 species in South Africa now. And I too suffer from severe seasickness so have yet to do a pelagic. :lol: :lol: So far this year I have only picked up two lifers and boy did I have to work for them. African Skimmer and Red-footed Falcon. :wall:
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Trevor Hardaker

Unread postby Trevor Hardaker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:16 am

wildtuinman wrote:
adrianp wrote:I'm on about 567, but boy have I saturated (I'm lucky to get one or two lifers a year these days). Most of the missing birds from my Southern African list are all sea birds, and for me going out to sea is equated to fish feeding :mrgreen: Other than sea birds, what remains are a few endemics, and rarities that may or may not come my way. I will have to travel about 20,000km around southern africa just to pick up the endemics....which sounds like a lot of fun.... imagine how terrible life would be if I had seen them all :whistle:

I know that feeling adrianp, I have ticked 625 species in South Africa now. And I too suffer from severe seasickness so have yet to do a pelagic. :lol: :lol: So far this year I have only picked up two lifers and boy did I have to work for them. African Skimmer and Red-footed Falcon. :wall:

You guys have nothing to complain about...!! My last new bird in SA was on 8 December 2010! And I don't get seasick and have probably done about 30 pelagic trips since then too... :roll: It's all relative really... I would love to get another new bird for my SA list, but who knows how long I am still going to have to wait for it... :(
Trevor Hardaker

Last SA lifer: Angolan Swee - 29 Apr '15 - Kunene region, Namibia
Last World lifer: Black Bush Robin - 26 Mar '15 - Yotvata, Israel

My wildlife pics and reports: www.hardaker.co.za

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 pm

The more you have on the list, the less you can still tick. I know it is obvious, but I encourage those on lists in the lower numbers that way. they still have a lot of magic days ahead!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Leonie2

Unread postby Leonie2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Common Swift in Alberton and Iceterine Warbler at Zaagkuil.

Total 602 :D

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”