Skip to Content

Osprey

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:24 am

I have only been to the Kruger in the high summer 3 times. Once was in the floods and we saw very little except water. Both other trips we saw osprey - 1 in a December and 2 in a January. I had not realised how unusual this must have been.

I still find it fascinating what different people see. I have a particular dislike of those who see roan and sable at every turn; I have seen 1 in 20 years!

Richard

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Snoobab » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:51 am

Too true. I have heard of people seeing Osprey in Kruger on numerous occasions and yet it is listed as rare. You are lucky to have seen two before.

Snippy

Osprey

Unread postby Snippy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:10 pm

I've never seen an osprey in Kruger :( , but have seen one on the wild coast :D

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby peterpiper » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:24 pm

I have seen Osprey twice in Kruger although both times from the high water bridge across the Sabie, so also on the H4-1, Probably the same bird therefore but on different years. They seem to be more common a lot further north.
Home is where you hang your @

JulianP

Osprey Wild Coast?

Unread postby JulianP » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 am

Hi Snippy and welcome to the forum.

I hadn't realised there were Osprey in RSA. I know they get around.

I follow the breeding in the UK by webcams and was surprised to see one catch a fish at Cochin in India earlier this year. Perfect environment with the Kerela Backwaters but I just hadn't expected to see one while having breakfast.

I'm new to the forums too and hadn't even noticed the Osprey topic!

Richprins

Osprey

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:14 pm

WTM,

Saw one two years running at Mpondo Dam, on a nest in one of the dead trees nearest the dam wall, around 1996-7.

Maybe they'll come back?

BushCall

Unread postby BushCall » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:08 pm

We saw one from the Mopani Camp lookout in Dec overlooking the dam at the camp.

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:52 pm

We also saw one on the Pioneer dam (from our hut as it happens!) in February. Probably the same one.

Richard

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Saw my first osprey several times over the last 2 weeks. Also saw it carry off a fish and maneuvering it headway into the wind to streamline the operation. Will try to post pics soonest.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

mountainview
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Osprey

Unread postby mountainview » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:14 pm

Snoobab wrote:... and to top it all he turned his back on me ...

Snoobab, before he turned his back on you, I gather you did check for the mask. I saw mine close range at Kosi on an inlet at Lake aManzamnyama. It was eating a fish when a Palm-Nut Vulture came and drove it away. I was so excited that I wanted to step out from the canoe onto what I imagined to be some sort of shortish ground-cover, which was actually a surface water-weed. I would have dropped straight down into water. The water of aManzamnyama is black coffee-coloured btw, due to the Raffia-Palm forest. lol. Thinking back now it's seems funny but I was rather horrified back then with crocs and hippo in the lake!!
Latest Lifers: Brown-Backed Honeybird; Violet-Eared Waxbill; Green-Winged Pytilia; and heard often but never seen - Yellow-Fronted Tinkerbird (±2m away in the open)

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Niall wrote:Hi WTM - where did you see the Osprey? In KNP? I've seen one in Nigeria, but still have not seen one in SA....

Hi Niall,

I saw it in the town of Grootbrakrivier, on the Garden route between George and Mossel Bay.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:28 am

The Osprey was chased out of its tree by a Jackal Buzzard.

To ID this bird I had make sure that I could see the white crown and broad dark mask across the eyes clearly to distinguish it from Juv. Fish Eagle.

In flight it was easy to ID as it appears gull like. Juv. Fish Eagle also has broad wings. It also clearly maneuvered a fish to face inline with the flight direction to streamline it after catching it one morning.

Laine
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Laine » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:44 am

i saw my first Osprey at Umgeni River Mouth, down in Durban over the New Year Period. It was nice enough to go fishing, which it failed at a few times and then finally got right and flew off with its prize... right over my head and i got to see the poor fishy flying for the first and last time in its lil life.. :twisted: 8) :dance:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 am

Got excited reading this thread, as last week in Kruger, I saw a big bird try for a fish and miss. I thought it might have been an osprey, but the more I read, the more I am sure it was a juv fish eagle. :wall:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am

BB, I have had the fortunate opportunity of seeing Osprey hunt on 2 occasions now.

Unlike Fish Eagle it flaps slowly over the water at about 10-15m high and then suddenly speeds up as it approaches the prey. I have read that it might hover even. Anyhoo, it then plunges quite unceremoniously into the water quite unlike a Fish Eagle would do.

As it drags the prey out and up it immediately maneuvers the fish in a linear position to eliminate any wind resistance.

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”