SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Owl: Pel's Fishing
Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I have been fortunate to see quite a few Pel's in Kruger, mostly before the social media interest spiked in seeing these birds.

The problem you have now is that there are just too many people and too much interest in hoping to see this bird. So whatever known locations there are are protected by all and sundry in order to protect the birds. The more disturbance for these birds, the better the chance of failed breeding and disappearing from the area.

So what I am trying to say is that if you want to see Pel's, you will have to rely on one helluva lot of luck and find it yourself. There is going to be no quick solution for finding the owl.

I cannot help you with the luck part, but I can try to improve your chances by saying that you should look for it along the Levuvuh river, mostly in August, by driving up and down and scanning the big trees where you have a view. Unfortunately I have no idea how much the Pafuri area have changed after the floods from earlier this year, so I cannot comment on the chances habitat wise at the moment.

There are of course much more reliable areas elsewhere where one can find Pel's Fishing-Owl. The Delta and Mkuze being two such places, but I have no information on either of them.

Good luck! :wink:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
And the one in the Cape seems to have found pastures new as well. :roll:

We were driven ( by boat) straight to the ones in the Delta.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
The one in the Cape, I am pretty darn sure, is either well on its way via shipping vessel to someone's private collection in South America or already in a cage in someone's private collection in South America. :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Can't be sure, but there were rumours of one up the East coast, possibly 'ours' making its way home, unless your South America sources are accurate Oom? :wink: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
:lol:

On a serious note though. I read the other day that a study done in 2009 showed that hordes of owls, especially from Malaysia were poached and exported to China mainly as a delicatessen. Absolutely unbelievable that humans could do this.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
wildtuinman wrote:
I have been fortunate to see quite a few Pel's in Kruger, mostly before the social media interest spiked in seeing these birds.

Yeah... :twisted: :twisted: ...and I remember the Pel's owl branch too...

wildtuinman wrote:
So what I am trying to say is that if you want to see Pel's, you will have to rely on one helluva lot of luck and find it yourself.

Mr Hinrichsen seems to have the kind of luck most 'mites can only dream of...

A spot has fallen open on the exclusive Balule Bash and lo and behold - what is the first post I read on the forum as I want to post the "advert" for the hut... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JOHAN :slap: Don't go public with the open Balule hut!!!!!! It's mine (until further notice :whistle: :whistle: )........unless you happen to know of someone that wants to share the hut..........would probably need to be of the gender that my wife approves of ( :roll: )

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I can kick myself I once had a chance to see a Pel's (not in a National Park on private land) but I was on kitchen duty and had to give the walk a miss. And yes they all saw it......... :mrgreen:

Heard it at Mapungubwe but that was a few years ago. Maybe this year I'm lucky.......

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
:lol:

On a serious note though. I read the other day that a study done in 2009 showed that hordes of owls, especially from Malaysia were poached and exported to China mainly as a delicatessen. Absolutely unbelievable that humans could do this.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

:hmz:

If only the Chinese would develop a taste for poachers, two problems will be solved at once! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear PFOF's (Pel's Fishing Owl Friends)
I will be joining a few formites, Honorary Rangers, top notch guides and great people for three nights at Balule in Kruger from 14 November. We will be hosted by the HR's, meals are included and although we will be there just to enjoy nature, chances are that we may run into a Pel's (or two). There is one opening left, which means that if you can cope with sharing a small hut with me :thumbs_up:, let me know. If you need more details, send me a message.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 pm 

Hi everyone.

This is a very strange request I am going to post, but please read through it so I can explain.

I am looking for 3 or 4 pel's feathers.

I am getting married in October and want to use them as a brooch instead of a flower. The reason for this is, I got engaged in Kruger last year September and on the night of the proposal, I saw my first ever PFO which to me was a very good sign even with all the negative stigma towards owls. It was a magical sighting for me on a day I will never forget and hence want to honour this magnificent bird at our wedding

I am willing to pay for them , if anyone knows where I can possibly get some, I will be very grateful. Please inbox me

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Guinea fowl feathers are easy to come by as they seem to shed on the ground all the time.
You wouldn't want a Pels to be harmed or even killed to supply you with these feathers, surely?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: :hmz: :hmz: 6 cases of french champagne, a wedding invite, 14 days in KNP with bottomless Amarula and perhaps a lifetime's supply of biltong and karoo lamb chops..........that may pay it.

Sorry.......if I actually had any PFO feathers you could have had them with a smile........ good luck!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm 

@kite : definitely don't want anyone to hurt a pel's but then again they would first have to find one and that may take longer than 3 months.haha. Yeah guinea feathers are available everywhere but just doesn't have same significance. Was hoping in the line of a rehab centre that might pick some up of the ground or so on

@waterbuck :

Haha thanks, almost started to get hopeful there even with all the requests..

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
wildtuinman wrote:

The problem you have now is that there are just too many people and too much interest in hoping to see this bird. So whatever known locations there are are protected by all and sundry in order to protect the birds. The more disturbance for these birds, the better the chance of failed breeding and disappearing from the area.

So what I am trying to say is that if you want to see Pel's, you will have to rely on one helluva lot of luck and find it yourself. There is going to be no quick solution for finding the owl.

I cannot help you with the luck part, but I can try to improve your chances by saying that you should look for it along the Levuvuh river, mostly in August, by driving up and down and scanning the big trees where you have a view. Unfortunately I have no idea how much the Pafuri area have changed after the floods from earlier this year, so I cannot comment on the chances habitat wise at the moment.

There are of course much more reliable areas elsewhere where one can find Pel's Fishing-Owl. The Delta and Mkuze being two such places, but I have no information on either of them.

Good luck! :wink:

You are indeed fortunate, Wildtuinman, for seeing multiple sightings of Pels in Kruger. :clap: :clap: :clap: Sadly, you are spot on with the media hype the last few years - and this is extending to many other species of birds and animals - which is affecting the tranquility that the birds once enjoyed. Humans can be SO destructive in their pursuits of personal glory. :wall: Thanks for the advice on where to seek this amazing bird. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next