Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Enjoy a run on the wild side at the Marakele National Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:23 am 

Hi,

We are visiting Marekele this weekend as a group of 20 people. Will the marathon affect normal visitors to the park?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 am 
Guru
Guru

There wont be any effect on the park operation during the Marathon. The park will be function as normal. Marakele National Park ensures all our visitors that operations will be as normal. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 am 

Hi Cassius,

Unfortunately you could not call Saturday morning normal.
Runners, toilets, pit stops, loud music, kids running around, people hanging off bakkies made the experence very unplesant. The action of a Matharon taking place in a National Park should be condemed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am 
Guru
Guru

Earthwalker

I had an opportunity to be part of the Marathon and i don’t recall such incidents, taking place in the Park; however I am not denying your comments with that regard. I will ask the Report back from the Orginising Team to look at the outcomes and the highlights of Marakele Marathon.

We had rangers in place to ensure security and discipline in the Park during the Marathon

I will also communicate your concerns to our Regional and the Park Manager.

Post subject: New Marekele 4x4 Trail???
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I read last night in the new Weg magazine that there is a new 3 night 4x4 trail in Marekele that opened in April. I see nothing on the Marekele website. Anyone have info on this?

Apparanetly a hiking trail and two new camps are also being planned.

Post subject: Marakele - comments and queries
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Spent 3 nights at Tlopi Tented Camp last weekend. It was our first visit to Marakele and we didn't know quite what to expect (had some ideas from the Forum). What a wonderful place!! Had quite a heavy frost Sat night/Sun morning - luckily took extra blankets from home.

Sat morning went for a drive on the short 4x4 road - comment: it really is 4x4 only and high clearance. My bakkie managed fine but smaller or non-4x4 would battle. Although the guys at Reception pointed the 4x4 track out on the map, there were no signs at the beginning of the track, warning people that is is only 4x4. I can imagine people going down there by accident and then getting into trouble.

Back to camp to sit and watch a breeding herd of 20+ elephants drinking at the dam just in front of our tent. What a wonderful sight.

Sunday morning: up to the view site. What an amazing road and well worth going up - even though it was freezing up there. Only saw 2 vultures, though.

Question: what is Modikela Bush Camp?? Understand it is where the original tented camp was situated. What is it now? Can one book it? If so, how?

On Monday morning got up fairly early, packed and left the camp - vowing to return as soon as possible. Got to the electric gate at the tunnel - dead! Luckily there was cell phone reception there and phoned Reception. Very pleasant chaps came along with key to put gate on manual. Comment: put a sign at gate to say "if gate not working, please phone ......."

All in all, the park is a gem and is well worth a visit/s.

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Re: Marakele - comments and queries
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 pm 
Guru
Guru

I am glad you have enjoy your sty in Marakele National it is in did the jewel of wild animals ranging from Rhinos and Zebras; not forget the flying birds of the wild life that oversee the scenery.

We shall consider your advice and highly priorities that in the best interest of our clients. :dance: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Cassius.

My comments were not intended as criticisms - just suggestions.

We look forward to a return visit.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 pm 
Guru
Guru

what is Modikela Bush Camp?? Understand it is where the original tented camp was situated. What is it now? Can one book it? If so, how? i have over look your question below about Modikela Bush Camp, please find the answer below

Modikela Bush was originally accommodation for guests then it was later used for groups e.g. schools, universities and staff. For now it is closed.

It is my pleasure again to see that you are acknowlaging the joy you have axperinced in Marakele.

Kind Regard

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 pm 

Hi there.

We plan to visit Marakele next year but have no idea what to expect. We DO NOT have a 4x4 vehicle. We have a 7 seater passanger vehivle with a normal caravan. Will we be able to drive in Marakele with our vehicle without damaging it? What camp should we book in?

Regards,
Deon

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Deon

Most roads in Marakele are accessible by ordinary sedan. The 4x4 tracks are clearly indicated. You will have no problems with your vehicle!

The camp that is suitable for camping is Bontle. It is situated in the game rich Kwaggasvlakte part of Marakele. The amenities are quite good. I am sure you will really enjoy a visit to Marakele. Remember to visit the "Towers" on the top of the mountain!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Marakele Telephone Changes
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:38 am 
Guru
Guru

Please take note that Marakele Reception and main Offices telephone number (old number 014 777 1745) has changed in future please dial 014 777 6929. This is due to the upgrade by Telkom from the old farm line to the new space stream (satellite) which has been completed recently. The alternative numbers are 014 777 6928/6930 & 6931. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Post subject: Re: New Marekele 4x4 Trail???
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Senyetse wrote:
Apparanetly a hiking trail and two new camps are also being planned.

Any more info on the new hiking trail?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Tick infestation at Marakele
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:17 am 

We have booked to go to Marakele for the long weekend in Dec. One of my mom's friends was there last weekend and she said they had a real problem with ticks. They covered themselves in Tabard but that didn't even keep them off them. They pulled 8-10 ticks of each child each night and they themselves were covered. I have a little boy who is almost 3 and I have had a tick scare before and don't want to go through this again. The thing is, looks like we will forfeit our entire booking. Surely the ticks will remain in the grass? There is so little grass around the campsite that surely these ticks must have been picked up on bush walks where there is grass? Some advice on this matter will be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Tick infestation at Marakele
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:18 am 

O, I cannot comment on Marakele, though I thought the resent fires would have resolved the tick problem.
My reason for reply is that ticks actually don't just sit on grass. They even walk across the ground and you can pick them up that way. If you sit quiet and look carefully, you can see them walking. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next