Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Marakele Information
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:59 pm 
Guru
Guru

The good news is the road network development in Marakele has been completed and Park management is looking forward to link the two portions of the Park in two weeks time, visitors are not longer going to drive outside to access the main park.

Regards

Post subject: Mountain Biking Near Marakele
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 pm 

Hi,

I like to combine a camping trip with a Mountain Biking excursion if at all possible.

In early July we camped at the Bontle camp site at Marakele and I went out the one morning on a Mountain Biking ride starting outside the main gate, off into the mountains nearby, i.e. cycling north east from Thabazimbi.

I thought I should at least share the experience in case others also wish to combine their camping trips with some offroad adventure in the Marakele region ?

A Google Earth pic of the route I took can be found here :
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marakele_ ... -07-05.pdf

I cycled north east from the gate, after 2 kms the tar ends and you go straight across the 4 way stop onto a dirt road, this leads to the old gate to the main part of Marakele.

The dirt road to this old gate is currently seriously corrugated, almost impossible but only for a couple of kms ... as soon as you pass the old gate it smooths out and you get to climb a 400 metre mountain pass ... just remember to keep your lungs in your chest at this point :-)

I was looking for a 60 km route and soon realised there were no side roads for me to take and hence at 27.7 km I turned around and backtracked, not ideal but I managed a 55 km cycle through some of the most beautiful terrain the Waterberg has to offer.

At one point as I was nearing the top of the pass on my way back I realised I was being circled up above by 2 vultures ... maybe they knew something I didn't ?!

If I had continued on my route and looked for a circular route I would have reached Rankins Pass and then retunred to Marakele some 100-120 km later, not quite my distance so I was relieved I did in fact have the sense to turn around ! Maybe someone with decent GPS software can tell me how far the full circular route would have been ?

In terms of how things look in the real world, here are some pics :

(1) View from outside Marakele's main gate at 8.00 in the morning ... it was 2 degC. You can see the flat area in the immediate viscinity (1000m above sea level) followed by the mountains in the distance (2000 m above sea level). If you look closely you will see a line half way up which represents the plateau onto which I cycled. The top of the pass is 10 km from the gate and then the plateau, as plateaus are, was rather flat ! At least as far as I cycled, which was 27.7 km from Marakele's main gate. Pic :
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_01.JPG

(2) View of the Waterberg above you from the plateau at about the 26 km point from the Marakele main gate :
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_03.jpg

(3) View as you start to come back down the pass :
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_06.JPG

(4) View when you are 80% back down the pass looking back towards Thabazimbi ... Marakele's Bontle Camp Site is on the right side of the pic, about half way up & one third the way in from the right of the picture.
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_08.JPG

(5) View from the same point as pic (4) but looking back up the pass ... to remind me why my lungs complained :-) Might not look like much but you are about 200 metres above the plain at this point and you have to still have to climb to a level higher than the ridge on the right hand side of the pic.
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_09.JPG

(6) Assuming you get off your bike and climb into your car you can drive to the 1800-2000 metre level inside the park and look back down a kilometre onto the plains ... a pic of my daughter reaching for the sky :-)
http://www.chezwallis.com/mtb/Marekele_26.JPG

This was our third successive annual camping trip to Marakele and they only get better ... can highly recommend it !

Cheers,

T.

Post subject: Activities in and around Marakele N.P.
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:55 pm 

Hi forum members,

we will be staying in Marakele N.P. :dance:

Marakele's Activity-Page http://www.sanparks.org/parks/marakele/tourism/activities.php says:
Night drives and guided trails are being planned - please enquire at Reception.
Morning Bush walks *
Sunset Drives *
* Please note that these can only be booked at Reception in the Park and are subject to the availability of qualified staff, thus, they may not be always available.

Does anyone have information and experience about these activities?

As we're staying for almost three weeks :-) (and walking is almost impossible in Marakele), what other activities in the proximimity would you recommend to use our muscles...? Do you have recommendations for bike rentals, is it possible to go golfing/ swimming in any of the surrounding areas/ Lodges???

Any hint would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by mh_baer on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Marekele in Google Earth
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:35 pm 

Wow! As far as I can see Google Earth has updated its satelite pix of most parts of Marakele NP the last weeks. It is high resolution now - and 3D! You can see the tents in the camp and drive the road to the Towers virtually... :roll:

I guess I found an Elephant standing on the road (it's the spot where we saw dung the last time). Who finds the rhinos??

Post subject: Re: Activities in and around Marakele N.P.
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 am 

Hello,
nobody's ever been in Marakele attending a drive or bush walk??
We would be pleased to read your experiences...
Regards, mh_baer

Post subject: Re: Activities in and around Marakele N.P.
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:58 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Marakele is one of the smaller parks, and few people on the forums have been there.

Have a look in the tripreports and such, in my signature below is an easy way to search. It is a lovely park from all accounts, but 3 weeks may be a little too long there...

But I would love to have a bit of feedback when you're back! As you'll see when searching that feedback will be the most up to date, and you can possibly take away a lot of questionmarks with people? Knowing the answers to quite a few questions?

Enjoy the trip, that's one thing I'm sure you will do!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Marakele National Parks
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 am 

Does anyone have any info for me - what is it like - worth a visit for a game drive on the 1st?? We are staying at Elements Golf Reserve and Mabalingwe isn't taking day visitors. Directions from Bela-Bela? Any nice picnic spots wher we can have lunch?

Thanks! and Merry Christmas and a Great 2009 to all of you!

Post subject: Re: Marakele National Parks
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Marakele is wonderful and worth a visit! Great animals and beautiful scenery. Do go to "the towers" on the top of the mountain!

It has a lovely picnic site, with braai facilities, the works.

Directions: Aim for Thabazimbi. (From Bela bela you will join the Brits Thabazimbi road at Koedoeskop and turn right) Drive straight through the town without turning from the road that led you there. (In other words do not go in to the CBD.) Marakele National Park is on that road approx. 10km outside town to your left. Can't miss it. Do not be misled by developments surrounding Marakele with similar names.

(You can also go via Rooiberg. This is a gravel road and joins the tar road just 1km on the other side of Marakele NP. This is an excellent road, but since you are new to the area, rather take the Brits Thabazimbi tar road.)

You won't regret it!
:mrgreen:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes it is a wonderful small park, and scenery from 2 Towers is great!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:17 am 

Thanks for the replies! As luck would have it, we are already back in Pretoria and did not get a chance to go through to Marakele this time. But we shall definitely do the trip next time we are in the Waterberg. Have a wonderful day!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Woodlin

Even thou you never had a chnace to visit Marakele as you would wish her is the additional information about the Parks perhaps you could visit at some point these 2009

Marakele National Park is one of the younger national parks in South Africa having been initiated in 1986 when the state purchase a nucleus of five farms totaling about 15000 ha

The park was initially proclaimed in 1994 as the Kransberg National Park and from this core area, Marakele National Park has grown in extent to the current proclaimed area of some 90 000 ha and is still in a phase of considerable expansion. Land purchase has been made by the state, the national parks board trust fund and through private donations.

Park Proclamation

Marakele is one of the younger national parks in South Africa initiated in 1986 and proclaimed in 1994 as a park it was fist known as Kransberg National Park

Tourism Attractions

The Park also has an abundance of Irion- age sites that will be made accessible to visitors in the future

Special Features

A narrow tar road takes visitors up to the top of the waterberg massif. The view and scenery are spectacular.

One is also in the proximity of the vulture colony and these large birds will soar past at close quarters.

Accommodation in Marakele National Park

Bontle Camping Site

38 campsites with power points arranged into 3 clusters with one communal ablution block per cluster

Tlopi Tented Camp

With furnish tented units overlooking the banks of the Apiesrivierpoort Dam. Each tent has two beds (Two stretchers are available which are more suitable for children) private bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator/freezer, two –plate stove and electricity. Each tent has a veranda with table and deck

Post subject: Enjoy a run on the wild side at the Marakele National Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Enjoy a run on the wild side at the Marakele National Park
Quote:
Fancy a run on the wild side? Why not join the Marakele National Park Marathon and Half Marathon taking place on 28 March 2009. The marathons are presented by Kumba Iron Ore in collaboration with Thabazimbi Marathon Club and Marakele National Park.

Entries are limited to 1 000 runners and pre-entries close on 1 March 2009 (Medals and t-shirts to all pre-race entries – a Comrades qualifier - electronic entry form - late entries on race morning).
Rules & Entries for the Marakele National Park races - 5 km, 21,1km and 42,2 km

* Start at Marakele National Park entrance gate: 42,2 km at 06:00, 21,1 km at 06:30 and 5 km fun run at 07:00.
* No vehicles or bicycles will be allowed on the route.
* The race referee will handle all disputes and his/her decision on disputes will be final.
* Cut of time at 10:30 (4 hours) for the 21,1 km and 11:30 (5½ hours) for the 42,2 km.
* 2009 license numbers or temporary licenses must be worn on the back of the vest.
* Age categories must be displayed on the front and back of the vest.
* Water points every 3 km with toilets, coke, powerade and water on all water points.

**The rules of Athletics SA & Athletics Limpopo are applicable.**

The various medals to be presented:

* Gold Medals for first comers in different age categories for 42,2 km and 21,1 km (ladies and men).
* Silver Medals for all finishers of 42,2 km and 21,1 km.
* Medals to all fun run participants.

Enquiries (including accommodation information):
Piet van Staden
cell: 073 0020 873
e-mail: pietvs@telkomsa.net

Post subject: Re: Enjoy a run on the wild side at the Marakele National Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am 

hi there -
the run coincides with my stay at the park. What portion of the park's road will be closed? Don't have a 4x4 so am limited where i can drive. If the 'sedan roads' are closed will I still be able to get to a hide - to spend time there instead of driving.
if i was feeling running fit would have joined you for the race - sure it must be a great experience and location for a run

thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi robynanne,
Warm welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sure the info is on it's way. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi robynanne

The road through the tunnel towards the summit will be closed for a specific period of time (12h00), then all the roads will be open. For a starter. Most of the roads on the plains will be open for the public.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next