Skip to Content

Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate - Brandwag Camp - Sept/Oct - Experiences?

Unread postby wingman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Herewith pic of Glen Reenen taken August 2007 from the hill above the campsite

Gianni

Travel to Golden Gate with a Bike

Unread postby Gianni » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi ,
I've booked for a week end at Golden Gate ,could someone tell me if its permissible to travel by Motor bike to this park ?

Thanks
Gianni

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Travel to Golden Gate with a Bike

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Welcome to the forums Gianni!

I would be very surprised if it's not. This park doesn't have dangerous animals (well, snakes) and you can do tons of walks in the park.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Myself & SO travelled GG a lot of times by Bike, fantastic so Enjoy. :thumbs_up:

cuca

Unread postby cuca » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am

I just spent the weekend there (14- 17 August).
Saw lots of Harley groups filling up at the petrol station in Glen Reenen. So it should be OK. And it is a fantastic place if you appreciate that kind of landscape.

Cuca

cuca

Golden Gate report back

Unread postby cuca » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 am

Hi all.
Just spent 3 nights/4 days at Golden Gate for the first time (14-17 August 2009). Stayed at the Highlands Mountain Retreat in the smaller 2 sleeper chalets.
Here are the basic points:
- The resort is a great experience and wonderfully located (and accessible by any type of car in good running order). However the chalets show some neglect regarding maintenance (which is a pity) and are not as luxurious as some internet sites make it sound. But they are nice basic accommodation and provide a nice atmosphere. They are well serviced.
- In cold windy weather the air coming in through the gaps between some logs and door/window frames (which are quite substantial) can be felt quite clearly but this is part of the fun of being in the mountains! (In the meantime they have double glazing on all windows. Figure that!!).
- The beds are very short!! (But they have electric blankets).
- Carrying luggage to the chalets can provide you with a good session of physical exercise if you have heavy luggage!
- I noticed that most people use this resort as an overnight stopping place. The staff seemed surprised that we stayed for so long!
- Chalet number 7 has a sewerage pump/plant underneath (of all places to put it!!). When we arrived on Friday the sewerage smell was heavily noticeable and we reported it to management. They promptly responded and allowed us to move to another chalet (more physical exercise) which was a bit inconvenient. But we could not stay there under the circumstances. Nevertheless, and in spite of having told us that they are aware of this problem, they booked someone else into this chalet the next day!
- They provide you with 2 bags of fire wood every day. A nice touch.
- If you plan to catch up on your reading at night bring your own reading light. But if you're after a romantic weekend, then it's great!
- At this time of the year the whole area around the resort had been burnt. It was not very nice but I guess it is unavoidable.
- The staff is very friendly and respond to requests.
All in all a beautifull place, and Golden Gate provides great walks, from easy to not so easy. The area is beautiful. I will be back but allowing for the points mentioned above. Sorry if I overextended myself.
Hope this is useful.
Kind regards

Cuca

Mellory
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate - Brandwag Camp - Sept/Oct - Experiences?

Unread postby Mellory » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 pm

You are in for a treat it is so beautiful there, there is also a natural rock pool/water fall where you can swim but please a word of advise do not slide down the rocks as we witnessed 2 injuries in Dec last year as there are hidden rocks and if you slide wrong you may connect with one of those so caution to be exercised here but great fun.Lots of bird life as well.

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Fire at Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Media Release
In the early hours of this morning (Tuesday, September 2009) a fire raged at the rest camp of the Basotho Cultural Village in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Nine of the 24 units in the rest camp have been destroyed by this fire, the cause of which is as yet unknown.

Park Manager, Johan Taljaard said that the fire seems to have begun between 02h00 and 03h00. The current unconfirmed observations indicate that the fire started among the units on the left hand side of the camp between the road and the reception area. “It is not clear how this fire started and we will have to wait for the results of the forensic investigation report,” said Taljaard. He also confirmed that the rest camp will be closed until further notice, but the other areas of the Village, like the museum, will still be operational.

The Basotho Cultural Village saw its first visitors from December 2008 and has been a popular attraction for visitors to Golden Gate Highlands National Park. The rest camp has been fully booked for the upcoming holiday on the 24th of September and SANParks will be contacting all affected clients to either arrange alternative accommodation in the park or to reschedule their bookings.

SANParks apologises for the inconvenience caused to its valuable clients, due to this unfortunate and unforeseen occurrence, and will be consistently updating the public as progress is made.

CuriousCanadian

Re: Fire at Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp

Unread postby CuriousCanadian » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Oh NO!!!!! This place was not yet finished when we visited ...but was looking as if it had great potential....

Shame :(
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

mediachameleon

Re: Golden Gate: Electricity at Highlands Mountain Retreat

Unread postby mediachameleon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello to all. I am thinking about a 3-night visit to Highlands Mountain Retreat in Golden Gate in October -- it looks like there is electricity there, but can someone give me some advice please about whether this is provided by a generator in camp, and what hours the generator runs? Many thanks in advance.

Boorgatspook

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Mediachameleon,
The electricity is supplied by Eskom, the generator is only been used when there's a power failure. Hope this answers your question.

jeroenvm

Re: Fire at Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp

Unread postby jeroenvm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm

We visited yesterday and reconstruction of the camp was underway. The museum section remains unaffected and works as normal, and was worth the short detour.
KNP March 2014

Guinea Pig

Re: Golden Gate: INFO

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 am

This is the view from the Highlands Mountain Retreat.

On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

Pandy

Maps on the website

Unread postby Pandy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 pm

We've got some family booked at Van Reenan camp and some at Brandwag for Christmas. Are the resorts very far apart? The maps supplied on the website are not very helpful in terms of identifying each of the accommodation options.

The forum looks great - but perhaps older comments should be removed.

Thanks
:?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Maps on the website

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Your question is slightly too early, I'm still only starting to sort my photos. I have a photo showing both the hotel and Glen Rheenen camp...
It's a little walk, maybe 10~15 minutes, but you can of course use the car.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Northern Parks”