Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Speeding vehicles through the Golden Gate National Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:33 pm 

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to note this - apologies if it is not.

We spent 3 days at Glen Rennen. It was an amazing 3 days exploring all the hiking trails **BUT** what is with the traffic speeding through the park?

The speed limit is set at 50 km/hr but the majority of cars (many police cars included) were easily exceeding 100km/hr!!

The 'car noise' at Glen Rennen from all the speeding cars flying over the speed bumps kind of became an annoyance after a while.

This complaint has been noted in the Glen Rennen reception's book for years so it is obviously an ongoing issue that nobody is prepared to do something about. Perhaps the park should set up speed traps all along the route to earn a few extra Rands? They should make a bundle in the first month of implementation!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The rest camp should never have been situated so close to the road in the first place. You hear cars and trucks passing by until late at night. I myself was very disappointed with Glen Reenen and will not stay there again. The rest of the park is beautiful though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:41 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wim van Helden wrote:
We will be staying end September at the mountain retreat
, but a 4*4 is not (yet) planned. Is a 4*4 necessary? If yes, would a Nissan X-Trail be sufficient?

Hi Wim,

Unfortunately i can not help you with advice on the route planning and hikes hopefully someone else can.

We stayed in the Mountain Retreat in April and used a normal Nissan X-Trail, so yes they will be sufficient and no 4x4 needed.
Although it is quite steep, the road is paved so it is more than manageable.
I really loved the MR and would reccommend it any day... you will have an awesome stay 8)

It is also very secluded and far away from the busy main road, so luckily no problems with all the noise from the speeding traffic.

Enjoy your stay :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:37 am 

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns as mentioned.
I share your frustration and concerns with regards to the provincial road (R712) that runs through Golden Gate Highlands National Park, and so does SANParks. These concerns also form the basis for SANParks' interactions with the Free State Provincial Roads Department in our continual efforts to address the associated challenges.
However, Glen Reenen Rest Camp was established back in 1963 already, when the road linking the park to the farms east of it and on to Harrismith was an unmaintained dirt road, not negotiable and mostly closed when wet. The tarred road, built for tourism/sightseeing purposes, was constructed only about ten years ago and thus creating the thoroughfare.
SANParks has no authority on this road and can thus not regulate the traffic or speed, but regularly request the local municipality to do speed control on the road.
SANParks will continue to seek sustainable solutions to address these challenges.
Golden Gate regards
Johan Taljaard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:24 am 

Thanks for your reply Johan.

Unfortunately after our stay I doubt that we will do Glen Reenen chalets again owing to the traffic noise. Perhaps we will try the Highland Retreat chalets next time.

It was not just the noise that was a concern for me but also the danger value for the kids having to walk over the zebra crossing to get to either the hiking trails or swings. (Zebra crossings & the stop signs were ignored by many motorists).

Interestingly the huge trucks that drove past the Glen Reenen site did so as quietly - it was quite amusing - imagine trucks 'tiptoeing'!

To whom do we speak to re: problems at the chalets themselves? Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Route to GGNP
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:03 pm 

Hello, am heading to GG at the end of Sept, staying in Mountain Retreat :D

Can you please let me know which is the best route to get there from Joburg, the N1 or the N3 via Harrismith?

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The N3 will be your route Lobby. Once you are on the N3 you have different options - via Bethlehem/Clarens or Harrismith.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here's a map

Post subject: Route to GGHNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:33 am 

Hey there,

I have found that the quickest way to get from Jo'burg to GGHNP is to take the N3 south but then hop off onto I believe the R26 that takes you down through Reitz towards Bethlehem, from here go towards Clarens and then it is a simple 17 km to the park. I have done this route and the route going through Harrismith and found that the road conditions are fine and it shaves off about 30min from the drive. Hope that helps.

cheers,

Ben

Post subject: Thanks
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 am 

Hi all, thanks for the information about the route, that helps alot :D

Lobby

Post subject: Golden Gate chalets
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:27 am 

Hi there,
Can anybody give me an accurate description of the self-catering accommodation at the Brandwag Hotel. I've heard mixed things. First of all, do they all have a view of the mountain, how close is one to neighbours etc. There are very few images available and this is always mildly worrying. We are travelling to Golden Gate from the UK over New Year and I am nervous that the accommodation is going to be very disappointing. Any images would be most welcome. Also what facilities are there at the hotel eg. horseriding, bowls etc.
Many thanks
Pamela

Post subject: GGHNP Chalets
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 am 

Hey Pamela,

Good to hear that you will be making a trip to GGHNP over the New Year. I have requested the information that you need about the chalets at Brandwag from our Tourism manager here at the park and hopefully I will have a sufficient answer for you very soon. If you have any other questions let me know :lol:

Cheers!

Post subject: glen rheenen camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 pm 

Hi There, an anybody pelase tell us whether there is braais at all the campsites ast Glen Rheenen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 pm 

Hi Gert,

There are braais there. :D Have a look at the Info on the website. There's a map of the campsite too.

I hope you have a super trip!

Post subject: Glen Reenen camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:02 pm 

Hi Gwendolen

I have made a booking for 2 powered campsites for the weekend prior to new years and i am really looking forward to the trip, now i am aware that there is a max od 6 ppl per campsite allowed,which is fine.
but what i was not aware of which i became aware of this morning was the apparent limitations on tents and cars per site.
my ideal would be to bring 3 cars and possibly a trailer,and be able to pitch 4 tents.
I spoke to reception this morning, and they said it wouldnt be a problem.....
is that correct?

Tomasz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next