Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Golden Gate - Brandwag Camp - Sept/Oct - Experiences?
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You are in for a treat it is so beautiful there, there is also a natural rock pool/water fall where you can swim but please a word of advise do not slide down the rocks as we witnessed 2 injuries in Dec last year as there are hidden rocks and if you slide wrong you may connect with one of those so caution to be exercised here but great fun.Lots of bird life as well.

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate: Electricity at Highlands Mountain Retreat
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 pm 

Hello to all. I am thinking about a 3-night visit to Highlands Mountain Retreat in Golden Gate in October -- it looks like there is electricity there, but can someone give me some advice please about whether this is provided by a generator in camp, and what hours the generator runs? Many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Mediachameleon,
The electricity is supplied by Eskom, the generator is only been used when there's a power failure. Hope this answers your question.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:10 pm 

It does indeed -- many thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Boorgatspook. Holding thumbs for my reservation! best wishes.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Keep a lookout here, we've just been to GG, and will do a sort of info report.
Still in SA at the moment, but I can tell you that you'll love the Retreat! Power was no problem during our 4 nights there, but if you want bacon & eggs for breakfast you'll have to bring a pan for that. There isn't a suitable pan in the bungalow. The only minus point we could find, and reported to the manager.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm 

Just back from 2 days of camping at Glen Reenen. Lovely warm sunny weather, with lots of wind and chilly at night. We tried the hike up to the mountain top but the steep section with the slippery rocks and chains was too much for my SO to handle, so we did the all other available trails in a few hours. No animals spotted except for some big lizards.
Both nights there was very loud 'shouting' and grunting noises coming from the park - any idea what animal that could have been?

The campsite is nice but the noise of the road going straight through it was no fun, with heavy trucks and speeding cars passing all night. The speedbumps placed by the camping only seem to make the noise more annoying as they need to brake and rev up several times. Perhaps a local 20km/hr speed limit and a few functioning speed cameras would do the trick?

Post subject: Maps on the website
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 pm 

We've got some family booked at Van Reenan camp and some at Brandwag for Christmas. Are the resorts very far apart? The maps supplied on the website are not very helpful in terms of identifying each of the accommodation options.

The forum looks great - but perhaps older comments should be removed.

Thanks
:?

Post subject: Re: Maps on the website
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:19 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums!

Your question is slightly too early, I'm still only starting to sort my photos. I have a photo showing both the hotel and Glen Rheenen camp...
It's a little walk, maybe 10~15 minutes, but you can of course use the car.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Glen Reenen & Brandwag are a few (+ - 2 ?) km apart , a tar road - the main road between Clarens and Phuthadijhba - connects them .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Click on it for a large version. To the right you can see the Brandwag hotel and chalets, on the left is Glen Reenen. This pano was taken from the route to the Echo Ravine.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:02 pm 

Beautiful shot DQ!!! :clap: The hills look like so much velvet....it was green velvet when we were there.... :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 pm 

i hope to visit clarens in june 2010, staying at a guest home or b&b. can i:
* do a day trip to golden gate nat'l park from there? specifically, i'd like to do a full day of hiking?
* as above, can i do a day trip to the drakensberg mountains (northern part, natal, i believe it's called, where the amphitheatre is located)?
* i don't plan on renting a vehicle - are there buses and/or mini-buses/taxis that will take me to the entrance point of each of the parks?
* i understand that it's winter there in june - what sort of temperatures should i expect?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:36 am 

Public transport in South Africa is very limited, especially in the rural areas. I think you will be much better off renting a vehicle and driving on your own. I would not suggest taking a minibus taxi.

A day trip to Golden Gate from Clarence is very possible. Why not stay in the park itself ... link

Expect cold, very cold weather and snow. Temperatures regularly plummet to below freezing. If you plan on hiking, you will have to take all safety precautions, and inform authorities ...

Reaching the Amphitheater is possible, but I would suggest that you rather book yourself accommodation nearer, than drive from Clarence and back. There are some excellent accommodation available in that area.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Glenn Reenen or Basotho
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 pm 

Hello,
we (2 adults & 2 children) want to visit Golden Gate and are looking towards Glenn Reenen or Bosotho Rest Camp to spend te night. Does anybody has any experiance with them and can help us making a choise.
We will be there during winter-time, do you know if heating in a Rondavel is a problem?

Thanks,
Yobe

Post subject: Re: Glenn Reenen or Basotho
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 pm 

Hi Yobe...Welcome!!! :D

We had a wonderful time in Glen Reenen In GGHNP...in March...don't know about heaters, tho....

See Here for some pics :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next