Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Glen Reenen confusion - Please help

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Welcome to the forums Thea! :yaya:
theamari wrote:and as far as I know only Glen Reenen has Rondawels?

GR has rondawels and longdawels, have a look here.
A photo of one is of course available:

Rondawel (HKD4)
- 1 double bedroom & 2 single beds on a loft
- Kitchen
- Wc and shower
Base rate: R440.00, Adult share rate: R116.00, Child share rate: R58.00
Base rate number of people: 2, Max number of beds/people: 4

Rondawel (HKB2)
- 1 bedroom with double bed
- Kitchen
- Wc and shower
Base rate: R440.00, Adult share rate: R116.00, Child share rate: R58.00
Base rate number of people: 2, Max number of beds/people: 2

If you have a look at this page you can click through to the description and photos of the in- and exterior.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

theamari

Unread postby theamari » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Thank you very much for all the info, it is much appreciated!

Hotrod

Golden Gate GPS Coordinates

Unread postby Hotrod » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 am

Greetings from a new joinee. I know it is a bit late (I am leaving tomorrow morning 13 June 08 ) but does anyone have GPS coordinates for Golden Gate.
Work is the time we waste between trips to the Bush

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 am

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Let's see, we have:
Eastern Entrance Gate S28.47954 E28.79098
West Gate S28.50125 E28.57871
Fuel Stop S28.50586 E28.61777
Causeway S24.13958 E30.99173
picnic spot S28.503 E28.5925
viewpoint S28.50219 E28.61389
Protea Hotel S28.50537 E28.6104

All waypoint coordinates are in the hddd.ddddd° format, the datum is WGS 84.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Hotrod

GPS Golden Gate

Unread postby Hotrod » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am

Thank you very much.
Work is the time we waste between trips to the Bush

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 am

You're welcome, and have a great time at GG! :yaya:

gordonhart

Golden Gate Ribbok Trail

Unread postby gordonhart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 am

Hi All

We're planning on hiking the ribbok trail in late Feb 2009. Can anyone tell me what the security is like for vehicles that are left behind? We're wanting to take up a minibus and trailer, and both are 'high demand' vehicles these days :)

Thanks
G

Darwin

Re: Golden Gate Ribbok Trail

Unread postby Darwin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 am

Hi gordonhart,

We did the trail in August last year and boy it was TOUGH! We are experienced hikers but maybe our age is now becoming a factor? :wink: It was extremely cold (yeah I know it was winter) and we were prepared but we had terrible strong winds... with a chill factor! At some places we had to crawl because we were afraid of been blown off the mountains! However is was not enough to stop us from hiking and we spend a few lovely lazy days in December at Golden Gate again - just doing the day walks!

We parked our vehicles at the Glen Reenen rest camp under the trees at the petrol station and all was fine however just a word of caution, during December a freak storm/wind came past and one of the big branches of the same tree we used broke down and smashed a BMW standing underneath. :hmz:

My advice would be to find out from the reception were it will be safe to leave your vehicles.

oppikoffi

Re: Golden Gate Ribbok Trail

Unread postby oppikoffi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi
I've read several reports that the Ribbok's overnight hut is in terrible condition... not enought mattresses, doors and windows can't close, roof is falling apart... maybe you must just look into that before your hike is not all that nice as you think it's suppose to be.

Maybe someone of the Park can help us with the truth, is it fix or not??

Just thought I can "alert" you.

ursa

Highlands parking Golden Gate

Unread postby ursa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Someone told us that you can't park your car next to your chalet at Highlands Mountain Retreat at Golden Gate. Is this true or not? If so, how far would the car be from the chalets? I ask because we tend to "camp" out of our car even when we stay in chalets, and don't really want to have to lug ammo boxes and fridges long distances from the car to the chalet. Or can you at least drive your car to the chalet to unpack it and then take it back to the parking area somewhere else? Can anyone who has stayed there give a report that will help us? Thanks

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Highlands parking Golden Gate

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm

If I recall , the layout and terrain is such that you will have to carry some distance from the car , depending on the unit you are in .
A map can be viewed on the website , go the homepage , click on availability , then Golden Gate , then Highlands M R , then click on the map bar on the left of the page . I assume reception at G G will tell you what hut has been allocated .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

ursa

Unread postby ursa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks ndloti. However, it was unclear from the map what the distances were and whether you could drive to the chalet to unpack, so I emailed the park and got a reply so quickly that I'm very impressed. It appears that the shortest distance from the carpark is about 10 metres, the other chalets are a bit further than that. As you thought, they could even tell me which chalet was reserved for us! Hooray for Sipho Zulu, the Hospitality Manager.
Last edited by ursa on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:22 am

You can't actually drive right up to the chalets , but some are closer to the central parking area than others .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

CaliforniaGirl

Unread postby CaliforniaGirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm

We stayed at Highlands Mtn at New Years. Yes, there is a central parking area, but some people in the family cabins drove up close to their units to unload, then back to the central parking. The smaller cabins are all accessed from paths out of the central parking. Unless you are in #5 (as we were) there is a climb out of the parking area to the cabin that is not evident from the map. Be prepared for fabulous views :cam: , it's a spectacular location. And you are correct--the staff is great.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm

When we stayed at Highlands in Oct last year, it was a bit of a walk for us to our chalet .... pic here.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Northern Parks”