Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: ANIMALS

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Jumbo

Re: Mapungubwe: ANIMALS

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri May 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Wonderful news, JoelR :clap: 8)

We again had an amazing trip to Mapungubwe....this park now got me completely hooked. :lol: It was quite interesting for us, this time round, to see so much elephant activity on the western side compare to not seeing any ellies (not even dung) during our visit in November last year. We stayed in Tshugulu and on the morning of the 4th we found the tell tale signs of an ellie that came into the grounds, close to the house....it broke branches off from the tree right next to the swimming pool....we followed the spoor and found that it came in with a passage between the rocks behind this area....
Later we realized that we can count ourselves quite lucky that we did not meet this intruder in person...it was quite a stroppy bull that also pushed a tree over that blocked the road....meeting him while we were in the car, was exciting enough. :shock: :lol:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed May 27, 2009 1:53 pm

I admit I haven't read all the posts on this topic, so forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been mentioned!

At Leokwe Camp they provide a nice file with various details. Included are descriptions of various mammals:-

Black Wildebeeste - has "a beard and hare (sic) on the nose" - we saw Blue Wildebeeste - very different!

Springbok - we saw Impalas!

Blesbok - didn't see anything resembling a Blesbok

Oribi

Not sure about the Oribi, but I'm sure the first three do not occur in Mapungubwe!

They also describe Eland and Zebra (yes, saw them), Mountain Reedbuck and Grey Rhebuck (don't know if they occur there - probably could).

The camp was outstanding and the scenery etc. unbelievable!!
KTP May 2015

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 am

A baby white rhino has been spotted last week with one of the females in Mapungubwe National Park. This is AWESOME news. A couple of years ago four rhinos (not sure about sexes) have been reintroduced in the park - and although they are rarely seen at least three were still counted during a relatively recent game count. Now, however, rangers have noticed one of the females is tugging along a young one. That is excellent news in an area that is known for the discovery of the famous little golden rhino!

(People who will be visiting the park can pm me for some info on possible whereabouts of the mother and baby.)

The two lion cubs that I reported on in May are also still in good health and they are occasionally seen on game drives.

In the Western Section we spotted a herd (or actually two herds combined into one) of about 300 elephants, all feeding/drinking/cleaning/rubbing/playing/etc around the Limpopo river, which is still flowing strongly - we saw plenty of tiny, tiny babies too. It was an amazing sight but also a strong reminder why the anti-elephant-fencing is necessary around Mapungubwe's riverine forest. If the ellie population (mostly from Botswana) keeps growing like this the unique forest will be gone in a decade.

Although we were in the area for other business, we saw nice game all around. Among them impala, waterbuck, kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, eland, giraffe and elephant. Also spotted was a little group of bat-eared foxes in an open patch along the so-called Schroda road.

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RayK » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi JoelR and francoisd,
Great news about the lion cubs and also bat-eared foxes. I'll be there September 11 and 12 and am really looking forward to Mapungubwe as the list of possible sightings keeps growing. :)

Morkel777
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Morkel777 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 am

I still have to visit Mapungubwe (high on my to-do list) but it sounds as if it's getting better every month! :)
Planning the next trip already...

wendyp

Albino Impala - Western section Mapungubwe

Unread postby wendyp » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:05 am

We stayed at Leokwe from Thursday till yesterday (Sunday) and enjoyed it very much. On Saturday we took a drive to the Western side and saw an albino impala grazing with it's mother. He was quite big already ( pen koppie). Will put photo's up later. This is a first for us and we have been to many parks and are avid Kruger fans. Has anyone else seen this white impala?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Albino Impala - Western section Mapungubwe

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:39 pm

:thumbs_up: :popcorn:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

besembek

Unread postby besembek » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Looking forward to the photo...
Mostly Camping

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi wendyp.
I think this could be the same little fellow 8)
We saw him in May in the western section.

Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

wendyp

Unread postby wendyp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am

Yes, looks like him! As soon as I can I'll put a photo on, having trouble with mweb at the moment.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Wendy, I understand your mweb problem :( The only reason that I am on the forum is that my laptop is connected to MTN.

Giraffee, what an amazing picture. :thumbs_up: That is very, very white. I wonder if the chances of survival are better at Mapengubwe with fewer large predators.

Again, how incredible.

I was in Mapengubwe a few weeks ago and saw little game in the western section. I did wonder if it was due to the very good rains. The hide looked like a mini lake.

Giraffee, I remember your photos of the braai area of Limpopo camp.The braai area at Leokwe has also been paved. Some may like it, I missed the sand.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

besembek

Unread postby besembek » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 am

Nice photo, giraffee :thumbs_up:
Mostly Camping

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 am

Great photo giraffee! :thumbs_up: look forward to seeing your photo wendyp :thumbs_up:

Its does look almost all white :shock: seen one at shingwedzi a few times but it was nowhere near as white as this.

I would imagine survival would be better. Looks like everyone is having problems with MWEB :wall:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

wendyp

Unread postby wendyp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 am

Hi, at last I can post a photo of the little albino impala. Hope you can see it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/478 ... ac13b7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RayK » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi wendyp,
Thank You for the amazing photo of the albino Impala.

Return to “Northern Parks”