Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Golden Gate: Basotho Cultural Village
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:46 pm 

I've been trying in vain to find out where this rest camp is! :wall: It's not on any maps on the golden gate section of the booking site, although you can book accomodation there through this same site. When we asked at the office in Cresta, the person could not give any more information either. Can anybody give a little more info? Like where it is, what it's like. history etc.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Basotho Cultural Village at Golden Gate?!
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Muzo, I haven't stayed there myself yet - so can't give you info myself but found the following post by Cassius which I hope helps...

Cassius wrote:
Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp

“The Free State landscape gladdens my heart, no matter what my mood. When I am here I feel that nothing can shut me in, that my thoughts can roam as far as the horizons.” These are the words used by the former State President Nelson Mandela in his autobiography Long Walk to Freedom.

It is here where Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp nestles on the eastern side of the Amalgamated Golden Gate Highlands National Park. The Camp resembles an 18th century Basotho Village. The surroundings take you back from the pathway of previous times to the modern days, here the Basotho lifestyle, architectural and hospitality is the order of the day.

The Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp offers comfortable self catering accommodation with splendid view where game viewing is practically enjoyed without the trouble of having to embark on a game searching journey.

The Camp also has communal braai facilities that are shared amongst families sharing the kraal and also private webber braai facilities for every chalet.

Kgotso! We greet You in Peace, come stay with us, dance to our rhythm, sip from our traditional beer, consult our Ngaka (Traditional Healer) and come to Lekhotla (the gathering place for men).

The tranquil and healing cultural heritage experience awaits you, Kgotso!! Pula!! Nala!!

Activities:

• Game viewing drives (self driven) – it is not only the game that one get to enjoy in this part of the world, one gets to enjoy rock formation, birds, grassland and the beautiful scenery that forms part of the Drakensberg and Maluti mountains.
• Museum tours – visitors get to feel the Basotho experience by tasting traditional cuisine, getting to know equipments and weapons that were used then.
• Cultural route, one gets afforded an opportunity to be taken through the Basotho culture and the way of living dating back from the sixteen century to date.
• Herbal trail, visitors are lead through this trail in order to be educated about the medicines that were used and are still by the African Traditional Healers.

Where to Find Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp:

This jewel of the Basotho Populace and the Eastern Free State in general is situated in the heart of the three major metropolis and only 55km from Harrismith and the N3. It is sited along the Maluti Drankensburg Route only 350km from Pietermaritzburg, 330km from Bloemfontein and 320km from Johannesburg.
Basotho Cultural Village is only 42km away from the renowned Clarens, a tourist Mecca of the Free State Province through the scenic Golden Gate Highlands National Park.

Post subject: Re: Basotho Cultural Village at Golden Gate?!
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:04 pm 

Thanks, that does help. I just wish there were more detailed maps showing the amalgamated park and the camp location etc. :) Guess I'll have to go check it out when we're in GG next month. I'll see what I can find and post

Post subject: The Basotho Cultural Village
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:40 am 
Guru
Guru

The Basotho Cultural Village which nestles at the foot of huge sandstone mountains in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park, will give you a deeper insight into the lifestyle of the South Sotho from the 16th century to the picturesque present.

The outdoor museum demonstrates the decorations of huts, making of basket ware, crushing of maize and traditional dances. Guided tours of the Basotho Village commence at the Khatloa under the expert guidance of tour guide as you cannot enter the chief's village and explore the way of life of his people without first receiving his permission. He will offer you a sip of Sotho beer as a token of hospitality and you may engage in a traditional game of maraba-raba.

At the Ngaka (the chief's bone thrower) the throw of his which bones will give the visitors a peep into the future. At the dwellings of the first and second wives, visitors will enjoy some motoho and dipabi. The interesting utennsils and colourful decorations are discussed and explained.
Cleverly placed between huge sandstone boulders, the restaurant offers delicious traditional meals as well as light refreshments. The Village regularly hosts art exhibitions as well as live stage performances at the sandstone amphitheater. The curio shop offers traditional clay pots, basketware and other handmade items. Guided tours of the museum are conducted from 9:00 to 16:30 (weekends until 17:00) seven days a week.

Post subject: Re: The Basotho Cultural Village
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Have the repairs (after the fire) been extensive?
I was there just after the fire had razed through the village, so only got a partial impression of what it should look like...

Beautiful, and a good birding spot. I'll be back!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi

We are currently finalizing the repairs of damaged caused by the unfortunate fire late last year.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 pm 

We visited the cultural village before the fire and found it very interesting, both culturally and architecturally. I enjoyed the snacks (specially yummy roasted sorghum, not so much the beer) and the interactions, even though we were thrashed at morabaraba! Well worth a couple of hours to pay a visit.

Post subject: Golden Gate - Help Needed
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hi All

We going to Golden Gate in July, I have a booking for Glen Reneen in a Rondawel, but have read alot about Basotho Cultural Village. Can anyone give me sone advice on which one would give us a nice experiance for the first time at this Park - we will be travelling with two children.

I would also really like it if anyone could give me some tips on places to go and things to see in and around the area. :D

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate - Help Needed
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Personally I would prefer the Basotho village.
It's beautiful, and has more to do for the kids. And better yet, there is no road running next to the camp.

Both camps are quite good for birding. Glen R has the advantage if you want to do the trails. They all start there.
The park itself... What can I say? It's super (October will see me there again) and you are allowed out of your car. Be on the lookout for the Lammergeier, but also look at the little things, like chameleons, lizards and so on.
You can book a trip at reception for one of the caves, behind the cottage, if you don't mind getting wet you'll see a huge cave.
Echo canyon will keep the kids busy and not too quiet for a while. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 am 

Hi Du Ques

Thanks for the assistance - quick question about the Basotho Cultural Village - are the kitchen and bathroom facilities communal or does each unit have their own.

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quick copy & paste:

The Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp offers comfortable self-catering accommodation with splendid views where game viewing is practically enjoyed without the trouble of having to embark on a game searching journey.

The Camp also has communal braai facilities that are shared amongst families sharing the kraal and also private webber braai facilities for every chalet.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/golden_ga ... dation.php

On this page you can find photos of the accomodation. There are two kinds, I grabbed the second one. ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am 
Guru
Guru

Only 20 Km east of Golden Gate lies the Basotho Cultural Village, here you can catch a glimps of the traditional lives of the Basotho people who lived in this area for centuries and have a close affinity to the tribes living just across the border in Lesotho

The beautiful and colourfully decorated Basotho huts; along with the people in traditional dress is set to maze visitors, who will even have an opportunity to meet the village chief and sample traditional beer.

The unique litema, or external decoration on house. is in its truest from and is visible in rural Lesotho and Free State

Comfortable self catering accomodation is available to guests, who can also relish in the communinal braai facilities.

Post subject: Basotho Cultural Village
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am 

Hi,

I have booked 4 units at the Basotho Cultural Village in August this year (2 two sleepers and 2 four sleepers). Does anyone have a map/advice on how the units are positioned? If possible I would like the units to be next to or close to each other and having never been there I am not sure how things are situated.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. This is our second trip to Golden Gate and I cannot wait!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Basotho Cultural Village
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Hi Snor,

We stayed in the 2 sleeper. The huts are situated in groups of three, i.e. there are three two bed huts in one enclosure. There is a boma in each enclosure so you could have a communal braai. Unfortunately cannot help with the 4 bed huts.

Here is the link to the setup on the village. Hope it helps a little.

Basotho Cultural Village

Wish you a wonderful trip :thumbs_up:

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)