Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marakele: ANIMALS
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Black Leopard?! :shock:
That's incredible!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:52 pm 

There is some reports of black leopards in the Lydenburg area as well, but it has not been verified. It is not really "black leopards" but probably melanistic individuals, with increased amounts of dark pigmentation.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Roan in Marakele
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm 

Hallo,

I've been told, that Marakele NP also hosts some Roan. There are no informations concerning Roan in Marakele at SANParks-Website. Who knows if the informations I've received are correct? Who knows about Roan in other parts of the Waterberg-area?
Thanks very much
Peter

Post subject: Re: Roan in Marakele
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Marakele does indeed have roan, see this post.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm 

I have seen a black leopard near Olifants camp in Kruger, the leopard walked across the road about 20meters in front of my car, and the 9am morning sun was behind the leopard which made the leopard appear completely black, actually it was a silhouette, but I thought I was seeing a black panther crossing the road in Kruger! Then I drove closer where the sun was shining on the leopard's other side and the leopard magically changed from a black leopard into a leopard with normal colours! I think this phenomenon accounts for all black leopard sightings!

Post subject: Re: Marakele Lions
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:45 pm 

However 3 lion made there way over the mountain and gave people opening the gate on the way into Tlopi the fright of their life. :pray:

Imagine that.

WHAT a story to tell your grandchildren

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 am 

Marakele's Bontle is our favourite Sanparks campsite and we have spent a great weekend at Tlopi Tented camp as well. The reason for Bontle is that there is no fence between the camp and the veld and we have had rhino join us for a braai there! Also visited at night and grazed 60 cm away (yes centimeters) from our heads. We had our tent flaps open due to the heat and only had the gauze between his very huge head and our own heads. My favourite morning activity is sitting on a week-day on a camping chair with a coffee in hand, watching game grazing a few meters away and thinking about everyone else in the traffic between Pretoria and Johannesburg!!

HOWEVER - never seen lion. Dont really believe there are any. To be quite honest. Has anyone ever seen lion there and when was the last sighting?

Secondly the vultures... where are they? We drive up that mountain faithfully every time and on top you get to a tower, but no directions or signs to the where-abouts of a vulture feeding spot etc. I somehow thought there was a specific vulture kitchen!! Thus... also never seen vultures.

By the way, my description of a romantic getaway at the Tlopi Camp won me a weekend at Agulhus National Park through Wild Card this year. So all in all - lion and vultures aside, Marakele is wonderful!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm 

Congrats , Meleney, on your price... :clap: :clap: maybe you could post your winning description on a romantic getaway here..? Would like to read it. Have been to Marekele once for a day visit and want to go back to camp and experience this thng with the rhinos. Have seen beautiful footage on some trip reports...

Oh... welcome to the forums!!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:49 pm 

This is what I wrote: (it had to be 100 words!)

The unmistakable cracking of dry twigs, the deep murmur of a bull; I can hardly contain my excitement as the bush around our tent comes alive with elephant sounds. Dragging the sheet with me, I tip-toe onto the deck as they emerge from the dense bush.

I’m at Marakele’s unfenced, undiscovered Tlopi Camp with the love of my life, my best friend and cohort in romantic escapades.

Strong arms encircle me. We’re watching and listening to morning birdsong. I turn into the embrace. His eyebrows lift in invitation and I decide: “We’ll catch the elephants when they come back this evening”.

:wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm 

meleney 8)

I agree with you, Bontle is also my favorite SANParks camping site! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
meleney wrote:
HOWEVER - never seen lion. Dont really believe there are any. To be quite honest. Has anyone ever seen lion there and when was the last sighting?

When we were camping in Bontle in May, the lions were very vocal. They were somewhere on the other side of the tunnel. I'm sure if we left very early the next morning we might have found them but then again the morning birding in Bontle is so good and watching all the game come down to drink, absolute tranquility. :)

meleney wrote:
Secondly the vultures... where are they? We drive up that mountain faithfully every time and on top you get to a tower, but no directions or signs to the where-abouts of a vulture feeding spot etc. I somehow thought there was a specific vulture kitchen!! Thus... also never seen vultures.

There is no vulture kitchen. If you go up to the mountain early in the morning, you will see many of them circling up. The only breeding site is on the other side of the mountain, on the cliffs behind the tower. Unfortunately you can only see the site from outside Marakele.

If you drive past the entrance gate, the road turns to gravel and up the hill. It's quite a scenic drive. When you reach the top, you'll be driving next to the fence on your left. If you carefully scan the cliffs, you'll see the white markings of the nesting site. We've had better views of the vultures from the top of the mountain tho. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:16 am 

8)

Post subject: Wounded rhino at Marakele??
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:03 pm 

On 17 February 2012 we saw this rhino cow at Marakele at the Bontle camp. She had a wound (gunshot?) on her left side.

We reported it to the personnel, but they did not seem too worried. I hope they are going to investigate and report it as they promised, because to me it looked like a gunshot wound and still fresh. Maybe it was another poaching attempt?

Post subject: Re: Wounded rhino at Marakele??
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

Oh my word :( ,
Hi Fralanti, thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I will alos take this further and find out what could have caused the wound.

I :pray: that it was not a poaching attempt. :(

I will get back to you F. Thanks again :gflower:

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Could it be something like this ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was wonder the same and looking for that thread, Dotty. It also looks like the skin around the wound is red/raw - perhaps the work of oxpeckers keeping the wound open and drinking the blood?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next