Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 5
 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: PREDATORS VS CATTLE
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, I have not agreed that stray cattle in the park is a good thing. Only that it is a part of the reality created when you have elephant moving through fences on a regular basis. (I have even seen elephant within the sections where they are being camped out to protect the riverine forest - but that is another story.)

The river is an international border with cattle being part of the cultural landscape on the other side. It is impossible to place a fence down the centre of the river. So until they are fenced out on the other side you will have cattle in the river. Not ideal, but I can live with that. As I said, that is part of the character of the park, and it reminds me of the ancient civilisation which once flourished there. In fact, it is probably some of their descendants still living in that area.

I am as concerned about the cattle in the park, especially since it seems to be increasing. If a blind eye is turned intentionally to this, I would be very unhappy. But if it is managed in a positive way, then I can accept the situation as being simply the realities of the current given situation.

:thumbs_up:

The ideal situation would still be ... no mine ... no cattle ... no humans (which is also often seen in the river) ... no fence ... and sitting alone looking over that beautiful place where rocks are artworks.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, then we agree that cattle are undesirable and should not be allowed in a National Park.

It was posted earlier that an agreement regarding the TFP was reached more than five years ago, maybe SANParks should now address this issue and take steps to not allow/have cattle in the Parks. Fences are not required, it is the responsibility of the owner to keep them from entering the Park, if they enter the Park, confiscate them - this will soon have the desired effect,.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just came across this interesting/frustrating topic. Have not been to Mapungubwe myself, but would not bother to go there myself till matters improve, even though I love Limpopo and Zim so much...

I don't think this is a unique problem, have seen big herds of cattle in Lekgalameetse NR near Tzaneen, and last year a fair number of fat Afrikaner cattle in Golden Gate NP, plus a herd of at least 70 donkeys grazing in GGNP right next to the road! Surely these animals have not strayed from Lesotho....

I do sympathize with the authorities who have this fine balancing act between fed up tourists and angry locals -- lets encourage them and stay positive, and not start labelling people as `purists' etc. in a derogatory way -- that doesn't solve problems!

Hope to see Mapungubwe one day, IF the mines, cattle and goats don't destroy it first!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

ps If you go to Ngorongoro Crater, don't be horrified to see a few Masaai herders strolling in the crater with their herds of cattle right amongst all those lions! And go to Amboseli NR to see Kilimanjaro and its wildlife, but you may bump into a whole group of warriors running through the veldt, with hyenas and wildlife scattering as they pass! Not a perfect setup, but at least they are trying to save what can be saved (rhinos did not do so well...) and that is a lot better than it could have been.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm 

Here is the park's response as posted by Lesego in another thread.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It's good to read that people who don't like Mapungubwe won't be visiting Mapungubwe! :k

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:27 pm 

Friedrich von Hörsten
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm 
After reading this I will be one of those who would not consider Mapungubwe as a place to visit in the near future.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:52 pm 

So Mapungupwe will be the first Tarangire, in South Africa, this is utterly BS, Next Kruger will have sustainable grazing rights, next, lions are a threat to the herders and their "Livelyhood" :slap:

SANParks, make a plan, cause this is leading to disaster. :evil:

There is too much conflict, for those of you that talk about Ngorogoro etc. in areas as described. It is not working anywhere else, it wil especially not work here. Daft, shoot the cattle that stray, burn them, and keep the place as nature. :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm sorry but my pickled intellect seems
too try tell me something!!!

Currently running we have the whole
world at our doorstep,- COP 17 fighting
for a green planet. Great idea. I have
extreme difficulty explaining myself and
get reprimanded for that.,

but as crime conscious we seem to believe
we are, still we leave the backdoor open for
visitors!

Tranfrontier parks leave me wondering though
the idea is great for animal sake!!!

Some time ago someone said," this country will
be right once all has turned grey, by argument"!!!

Then why bother with green.!!!!???

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5