Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe wins international award
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Guru
Guru

The Mapungubwe Interpretation Centre is situated at the confluence of the Limpopo and Shashe rivers, and is designed to house artefacts from the region’s prehistory. The project used the skills and labour of local people by involving them in the design and construction of the Centre.

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe Interpretation Centre wins international award
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm 

I hope it is open for our visit 24-27 December. Saw the building under construction a year ago and it was very impressive even then. Now actually getting excited :roll: about 25 hours on a plane!

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: INFO
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JoelR wrote:
Mapungubwe is growing

-
- Samaria farm bought

I recently visited the park and talked to quite a few people about the progress. Apart from the big Den Staat farm all main farms within the parks boundary have been bought and theoretically the western and eastern section can be linked now. No decission seems to be taken on implementation though.

The acquiring of the Samaria farm (including the first part of important wetlands - the majority being on Den Staat) is a bit of a funny one. SANParks has agreed to keep running the orange farm for another 5 years, mainly because they can't just throw the hundreds of workers of the farm - I think.

:

Not completely accurate. The part bought of Samaria is only the western farm of 3 by the same name. The two eastern Samaria's do not belong to the park and although the game can move between the parts these are still closed to the public and is private land. Hence the signs that say no entry private land. I must say in your defence some of the "tour guides" still do not know this and will take the game drive over the private land and then look very suprised when the owners stop them and ask what they are doing on private land after telling the tourist that the land has been bought.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No worries, that's what I meant. The main thing is that the "two Eastern Samarias" are part of the game area! Tourism movement from East to West will take a while longer (although I do know some staff that cut through...).

Who wants to know more about future plans and priorities for Mapungubwe can download the draft park management plan [pdf-alert].

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

According to SA Weather website 148 mm rainfall recorded at nearby Pontdrift in 10 day period ending 11 April !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great news!

Thanx, Ndloti. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: MAPUNGUBWE MAPS
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 am 

I have recently planned and completed a visit to Mapungubwe. It was my first visit and much enjoyed. I have several suggestions to enhance planning and getting the most out of as visit. My first difficulty overcome only after I arrived at the Mazhou campsite was that on not one map (hard copy or internet) was Mazhou marked! In addition to correcting this, the SANPARK literature should make it clear that it's 41 kilometre drive from Reception in the east to Mazhou in the west via the tarred road. This is a very signiifcant factor in planning one's activities for a stay.
I enjoyed the Echo 4X4 drive in spite of the currently inadequate signage which caused much confusion. I was put out though by the fact that anybody can access the 4X4 route without paying the R100 which I did. I wouldn't have minded paying the fee if I'd received stuff the freeloaders didn't get. Sadly, for my R100 I didn't even get a simple one page map! With a good map one should get directions without which the freeloaders should struggle to make headway!

Post subject: Re: MAPUNGUBWE MAPS
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Roger :D and a very warm welcome to you.

I have also recently come back from a visit to Mapengubwe. I think that your suggestions are very pertinent. We did speak to one of the guides while we were there about the road markings and he did ensure us that they were going to be working on improving the markings. I did get lost a couple of times.

While we were tere we went to visit the soon to be opened Hamilton centre. What a marvelous building. I think that a lot of energy and focus has been on getting it ready for the official opening on the 23rd September.

Post subject: Re: MAPUNGUBWE MAPS
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 pm 

I must admit to doing parts of the Eco trail without paying. I had no idea that there was a R100 fee to do the trail until I read this months GO mag where it says exactly that. I will most certainly pay next time. :redface: I think that the staff at the main gate should advertise this fact so that everyone knows. A little maintenance on this track should also be done as I remember getting to one point where we had to turn around as the road had been washed away completely ! I am lucky enough to be going to Vhembe camp in April 2011. Cant wait 8)

Post subject: Route accessibility: Mapungubwe National Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm 

Hi there,I would like to go to Mapungubwe National Park and I read that most of the routes are only accessible to 4X4. Is this true? I have a car. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Route accessibility: Mapungubwe National Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:24 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Near Leowke sedan friendly
Same with the route to the confluence and treetop walk
But the biggest of the Leokwe part is for 4x4.

The Limpopo Forest part and to the pan and hide is all sedan friendly :thumbs_up:
That is where you see elephant and general game.

Post subject: A vote for Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 am 

Just got back from two nights in Mapungubwe park - what a lovely park it is. We experienced relaxed and very friendly staff, excellent accommodation, highly recommended.
The drive was 6 hours from JHB, last shops/petrol in Alldays. We had a 2-person chalet at Leokwe camp, beautifully designed and very good value at about R800 (we paid the same for a pretty bad, dusty campsite at Etosha a few weeks ago). All chalets are very private, and the sense of being isolated in the bush is fantastic.
The park is still fragmented and a bit strange to navigate; we were one of the few without 4WD and were somewhat limited but still got to see lots. There's an elephant fence (electric wires spanned above impala-height) with signs explaining they want to keep elephants away from the riverine forest to allow this to return to the state it was when humans kept elephants at bay) but this was broken in any places and elephants were all over the place, freely crossing in from Botswana and Zimbabwe, it seems. I think the park would benefit if they simply removed this and the other toppled-over fences we saw across the eastern section. The only minor annoyance was some rubbish in the park, apparently from the schoolbuses that regularly enter the park; some cans and bottles below the treetop walkway and along the main roads, pity.
Anyway: the treetop walk at 6am was magical as the forest woke up, with elephants and bushbuck browsing right underneath the platforms and 3 brands of kingfisher. Saw my first eland (never spotted one in 4 KNP trips) from the confluence viewpoints.
Later, Cedric gave us a very good tour of historical Mapungubwe hill (with lots of game and a huge mamba as a bonus).
We did a night drive with Leonard and were the only ones in the jeep; he was a great guide and though we didn't see big cats, we were very very lucky to see an aardvark on the road! Leonard hadn't seen one in 15 years of guiding at Punda Maria and Mapungubwe, so he was very happy too :)
The 2008-architecture-award-winning information centre building is unfortunately still not ready (in the various brochures maps you read "Opening in 2008/2009/2010") but repair work on the roof was ongoing and guides told us it will actually be open this October.
We finished off with a quick visit to the bird hide in the western part of the park where a large herd of elephant were busy munching through the pretty forest, and dozens of warthogs were having a bath. I'll need to return in summer for better birdlife.
A small but very enjoyable park, great for those who don't insist on seeing the big 5 and enjoy the peace and landscapes - I'd certainly return when the info centre opens and they manage to link up the sections better.

Post subject: Re: A vote for Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sounds like you had a great trip, despite some less than wonderful moments. I can't believe that that information center is still not opened...it was supposed to have been opened in 2009, from what we read...got there in Aug of 2010 and found it closed...but it looked so close to being ready...and here it is a year later...wow..that is a shame.
Nice you got to take the hike up the hill..we got there too late....and you saw a mamba? wow...did you get any photos???
We too thought the park was a neat place to visit...and yes, the two sections are a bit odd...but we only had time to do the eastern main section...would be nice to go back and see the other side.
thanks for this.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Jeroen :D I am so pleased to see another Mapengubwe fan. I agree, it is fantastic value for money and I cannot sing its praises enough.

I am sorry to hear about the rubbish :( Perhaps there should be more education for each bus enterering the park.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am 

Alas, the mamba and the aardvark were too fast :) I'm also the the persuasion that some experiences are better not fumbling around with cameras, just sitting and looking is enough!

You'd think a school visit is the perfect opportunity for a bit of trash management education. But the kids were all charming and really enjoying themselves - it's great to see locals (ie other than ageing whities from Gauteng!) enjoying the park, something I didn't see much in Kruger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next