Skip to Content

General Driving Advice

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

nightjar

General Driving Advice

Unread postby nightjar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 pm

I am planning to drive from Golden Gate to Biyamiti bush camp. Is this a comfortable day's drive (in summer), and what is the best route to take? Plan to stop for supplies in Nelspruit and enter KNP at the Malelane gate.

Bronzemannekin

Re: Drive from Golden Gate to Kruger

Unread postby Bronzemannekin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 pm

We recommend the following route as we try to avoid Johannesburg and buy avo's just before Barberton. (Keep them out of the reach of squirrels in Kruger) We top up perishable groceries at the Pick 'n Pay in Malelaan (it is a very basic store.) Take the R712 to Harrismith from Golden Gate (60km's), then take N3 to Warden. Turn off on to R103 to Vrede, Standerton, Morgenson, Ermelo, Chrissiesmeer, Warburton, Lochiel, Badplaas, Barberton, Noordkaap, Kaapmuiden and then to Malelaan (a total of 639 km's to the Malelaan gate.) We prefer to go along the escarpment as one then misses the coal trucks between Ermelo and Carolina. By far the least stressful route for us.

Marli

Northern parks - Nearest town to main gates

Unread postby Marli » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 pm

:hmz: Hi

Need help.... Want to know what is the nearest town to the main gates for the following parks:

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele :huh:

Thx
Marli
Marli

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: NORTHERN PARKS - NEAREST TOWN TO MAIN GATES

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi Marli! The answer to Golden Gate (as i'm coming from the free state) is Clarens!
As for the rest, just give me some time :wall:

Imberbe

Re: NORTHERN PARKS - NEAREST TOWN TO MAIN GATES

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 pm

boorgatspook wrote:As for Mapungubwe it's a catch twenty-twenty: 68km from either Musina or Alldays.

But Musina is much, much bigger than Aldays.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Northern parks - Nearest town to main gates

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Upington is 260 km from Twee Rivieren in Kgalagadi, I don't think Ashkam or the other 'settlements' qualify as a 'town'.

Addo is closest to Addo main gate , and Colchester is closest to its Matyholweni gate.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

makalek

NEW BEGINNERS

Unread postby makalek » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Guys, :huh:
We are new in the world of camping,a group of about 15 and we want learn about camping, i have realised that Marakele has camping equipment that will assist the new beginners, is it the relevant spot and can we learn more at the same time?
we are from Pretoria, and please if there is anyone who can assist, pls u r welcome

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: NEW BEGINNERS

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm willing to help you out with advice on equipment etc. Do you have any specific questions?
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: NEW BEGINNERS

Unread postby Senyetse » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Makalek,

i have realised that Marakele has camping equipment that will assist the new beginners?

Do you mean do Marekele have tents and all the required camping equipment. If so then only in the tented camp but that's not camping, its like chalets but in tents, and a lot more expensive than camping.

For the campsites at Marekele (which are normal campsites like in the other parks) you have to provide everything, the tent, your bedding, crockery, etc. All that is provided is a place to pitch your tent, an electrical power point, water, a braai, dustbin and ablutions. You can either rent or buy the required camping equipment . I'm also willing to provide advice as to what is needed, we've been camping for several years.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Return to “Northern Parks”