Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: GOLDEN GATE HOTEL
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am 
Guru
Guru

A spectacular sight awaits those who seek out Golden Gate Hotel, which was proclaimed in 1963. This paradise of sandstone cliffs is definitely a jewel of the Northern Free State, with its delightfully crafted landscapes and interesting range of roaming wildlife. Guests can experience anything from mild or hot summers to freezing winters sometimes snowy.

When it comes to accommodation, visitors can indeed have their pick of the finest choices not the least of which is the Golden Gate Hotel.

From the moment that you are welcomed at the Golden Gate Hotel You will know that you are about to experience unique scenery on vicinity.

Located in the heart of Golden Gate the hotel is surrounded is surrounded by the Majestic beauty of the Northern –Eastern Free State Landscape. The scenic grassland also home to numerous wildlife and bird species.

The experience of being accommodated at this luxurious hotel which doesn’t only provide ideal services and facilities to its guests, but also situated at the perfect location
Where you can experience wildlife first-hand

The Hotel is set to offer even a higher level of comfort and entertainment to its guest
An upgrade to the value of 30 million includes constructions and structural changes, as well as new furnishings and modern décor, conferencing and banqueting Venue, as well as a variety of indoor games and facilities for those who choose not to rough it in nature. It does not get any better than Relaxing at the cosy atmosphere pub with log fire during the freezing Free State winter.

Currently in the process of being revamped, the hotel is set to offer an even higher level of comfort and entertainment to its guest. The refurbished results will be a lighter and more modern design with a defined timeless elegance flowing through all the rooms and public places. The rooms which will be made transformed into 54 Luxury double rooms will be made more spacious.

Conference facilities will be improved to include a main conference room with a seating capacity of 300. Four Additional breakaway rooms of varying sizes, all properly suited for conferencing, will also be available. Newly enlarged restaurant on the middle floor to convey a sense of sophistication and be able to cater for conference delegates, large weeding receptions and any other functions.

Hotel is set to re-open in March 2010, the unique Hotel waits all visitors to come and enjoy this peaceful, serene and healing environment for never to be forgotten. This fabulous world of sandstone cliffs, sparkling river, age-old-Culture and heritage and the spectacular mountain splendor of the sun-clad Malutis, will add to a life changing experience.

Post subject: Re: GOLDEN GATE HOTEL
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 pm 

Cassius, where can I book the Golden Gate Hotel?

I am planning on visiting the area in June 2010 and this sounds like the best accomodation for me.

Thanks
John

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am 

The hotel bookings should be through the SANParks central reservation offices as indicated on the website since it will be run by SANParks.

Check out the accommodation link for Golden Gate on the website - I am sure there might be more info.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks for that info Cassius. :thumbs_up:

We used to go to the area often when we lived in the Free State. I stayed at the hotel once. It has the most breath taking views imaginable.

Strangely, I am close friends with one of the people involved with the first construction. He is seriously ill at the moment, but it sounds as if he would heartily approve of the "upgrade".

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate: INFO
Unread postPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:00 pm 

Next trip booked and paid for!!! :dance: :dance:

Golden Gate Highlands Mountain Retreat here we come!

9-11 July 2010. The best birthday location ever!

Let's hope we get some snow! We're planning a couple's cozy, fireside retreat from the hussle and bussle of Durban!

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate: INFO
Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:02 pm 

agg, I am jealous! Mountain Retreat is absolutely breathtaking, amazing scenery and some fun hikes up the mountain to crystal pans! Enjoy it!

Post subject: Mini TR - Golden Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am 

Hi all

A very short feedback on this last weekend at Golden Gate. We arrived late on Friday night and because we were only staying Friday and Saturday night stayed at the family chalets across the road from the campsite. Very very nice with separate showers and even limited DSTV. The braai area outside is very nice - I would recommend picking units 29 and 31 as they have a bit of privacy - what is very nice is that these units have a dining table inside.

Be warned - even though it is mid-September it is still very cold! There are heaters and electric blankets in the rooms. Saturday we watched the rugby and then went to Clarens before going on the Oribi Loop and the Rhebok Loop and doing a little walk to the vulture restaurant - only dry bones there but they are planning on building a hide similar to Giants Castle which will be amazing. Wind was freezing. Not much game unfortunately, although a bride and groom were getting their pics taken - lovely.

On Sunday morning we went for a walk up to top of Brandwag - nice climb and the path is paved although the return leg over the other side is not and the women's legs were shaking at the end! Lots of baboons but again no other animals. Popped in to the hotel which is really nice - very nicely done up and great for conferences - the chalets at the hotel are smaller and not nearly as nice with not much space. Walked back to the camping ground - the camping ground is well maintained and bathrooms were clean. There were bikers there for the weekend but on Sunday it had cleared out so I would imagine if you went there in the week the place would be deserted!

Drive back was uneventful - lots of game near the Basuto Culteral Village, although only springbok, black wildebeest, zebra and blesbok - no luck with vultures unfortunately but will definitely return!

Post subject: Re: Mini TR - Golden Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

What were the night temps? My parents are there now, well, should be, but they are at the Mountain Retreat. And we'll be there in just over a month.

Is it green or still dry?

Any photos you could share?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:07 pm 

Not sure what night temps were - we did check on our phones (weather app) and said 5 degrees - not sure what time we checked though? Whatever it was it was cold!

Days were nice and warm after 9am or so but would definitely take some warm clothes - there are areas where the grass has been burnt so lots of green grass popping through. However still very dry by and large.

Pics unfortunately still on my camera and haven't had a chance to download - good opportunity for night photography as Brandwag is lit up at night although I didn't try this time round!!!

Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 am 
Guru
Guru

HI DuQues

Thank you very much for a detail report and the compliment. I have sent the massage to Tourism Manager at Golden Gate Highlands National Park .

:clap: :cam:

Post subject: Golden Gate - See if you can see....
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Two photos, and yes, both taken in Golden Gate. But what is the other connection?
(Thumbnails, click the photos for larger versions.)

(Some of the people who have been even many times to this park might be stunned at the answer!)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate - See if you can see....
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Dear Duco,

I am possibly a bit blonde here.

I "know where you are" :wink:

seriosly, I know thay you are possibly in one of South Africa's best kept secrets.

I have decided to be happily blonde.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
seriosly, I know thay you are possibly in one of South Africa's best kept secrets.

And I'm going to break that secret.... But I also know that most people will not heed our advice, and will skip this absolute jewel of a park. ;)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
I have decided to be happily blonde.

You might be, or not really as I know, but I think the answer might stun you too.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Don't know what your secret is, but yes, it is a stunningly beautiful park!

And the two photos are "opposite ends". By this I mean that you took the one photo from the location which was featured in the other, and other way around. If that makes sense? :doh:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
And the two photos are "opposite ends". By this I mean that you took the one photo from the location which was featured in the other, and other way around. If that makes sense? :doh:

You mean to say that you can see the Mountain Retreat from the Basotho Cultural village, and the other way around? :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next