Golden Gate: INFO

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gwendolen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:40 am

Texasboer in Golden Gate

TB wrote:I spent 10 wonderful days at Golden Gate as my first "assignment" of my volunteer work for SANParks (South African National Parks) as photographer. The beauty of this park was almost unreal - the lush green grass, the golden and red sandstone formations and blue sky was something that photos cannot give justice. It has to be seen to be truly appreciated. The photos have the SANParks logo on as per our agreement, and are used here with their permission. ENJOY!

reinette
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Golden Gate NP getting more ground

Unread postby reinette » Thu May 22, 2008 1:26 pm

I just heard on the 13:00 news that the Golden Gate NP and the Kwa-Kwa park is merging, making it a much bigger conservation area.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu May 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Gosh, that is great to hear! Thanks Reinette!
Sawubona
Dalene

reinette
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby reinette » Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 pm

I've found the news bulletin on the Afrikaans stations website, here is a rough translation:
The Golden Gate National Park and the QwaQwa National Park in the north-east Free State is going to merge. The merging – following talks between the Free State Department of Tourism and SANParks – wil from a new 34000ha conservation area. The aim is to make sure for better conservation of this beautiful mountain area and to enhance tourism in this area. The LUR for tourism, environmental- and economical affairs, Neo Masthela, said this new park will be managed as one unit.

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Thu May 22, 2008 5:58 pm

That's great! Thanks, Reinette. 8)

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 pm

That is fantastic news! Thanks Reinette :D
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

DinkyBird

Re: Golden Gate NP getting more ground

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Just back from Golden Gate and there is now a check point at the entrance to the SANParks part of the park, and one at the end of what was the QwaQwa park. No border between. There are still farms - well cows at least, on the QQ side though.
Sawubona
Dalene

bert

Golden gate new accommodation units

Unread postby bert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Cherries
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden gate new accommodation units

Unread postby Cherries » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks Bert

I also read this topic on the "front page headlines". However, this accommodation has not yet been listed on the GG pages. It is always nice to have the pretty pic to see what you are getting. Or did I just miss it in my rush to get to the Forum pages! :shock:

Cassius
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Cassius » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:43 pm

With regard to the pictures of the new accommodation facilities; we will be uploading them very soon. As soon as we have, I will inform you guys.
We apologize for the inconvince caused :thumbs_up:
SANParks
Regional Communications Officer

oppikoffi

Unread postby oppikoffi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi
Maybe you can help?? We want to do the Ribbok hiking trail but I've read several reports that the overnight hut is not in very good condition?? Is that fixed already and is the mattresses replaced?
This is part of the report I've read....

"It used to be………
a hut with 18 beds, 18 planks, 18 mattresses
not 18 beds, 9 planks, 6 mattresses for 7 hikers……..
ama-Africa – you cannot expect your humble hiking fee to include a bed AND a hollow wire mesh AND a plank AND a mattress"

I really hope the the Ribbok is not falling behind the GOOD and NICE things I've heard about it :-((

Cassius wrote:With regard to the pictures of the new accommodation facilities; we will be uploading them very soon. As soon as we have, I will inform you guys.
We apologize for the inconvince caused :thumbs_up:

Boorgatspook

Golden Gate’s Brandwag Hotel undergoing revamp

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Media Release:
The Brandwag Hotel in the Golden Gate National Park is currently being revamped and is set to offer an even higher level of comfort and entertainment to its guests. There will be enhancements in design to the rooms, conference facilities as well as the restaurant.

The refurbished results will be a lighter and more modern design with a defined timeless elegance flowing through all the rooms and public places. The rooms will be transformed into 54 luxury double rooms.

Conference facilities will be improved to include a main conference room with a seating capacity of 300. Four additional breakaway rooms of varying sizes, all properly suited for conferencing, will also be available.

A newly-enlarged restaurant on the middle floor aims to convey a sense of sophistication and will be able to cater for conference delegates, large wedding receptions and any other functions.

Brandwag Hotel is set to reopen in December 2009, so do come and enjoy this peaceful, serene and healing environment. This fabulous world of sandstone cliffs, an age-old-cultural heritage and the spectacular mountain splendor of the sun-clad Malutis will add to a life changing experience.

zaShadow

What is this foul smelling contraption at the rest camp?

Unread postby zaShadow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 am

We visited the Golden Gate National Park this past weekend and stayed in the Basotho Cultural Village. We went for a walk on Sunday morning and stumbled on this combination of connected drums just below the rest camp. We were horrified by the smell, and thought it might be sewerage pumped into these drums, but even more so by the volumes of water that flows from this contraption to the water stream just below.

1. What is this foul smelling contraption at the rest camp?
2. Can anything that smells this bad be purified in drums, in any way, that it should be introduced into nature?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: What is this foul smelling contraption at the rest camp?

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Looks like a septic tank to me.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Boorgatspook

Re: What is this foul smelling contraption at the rest camp?

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Welcome to the forum zaShadow!
Regarding your questions, reply from GG:
1. The 'green drums' (septic tanks) forms part of the extensive filtering process of sewerage (its rather a difficult process to explain in detail though).
2. The water that leaves these drums is found to be safe to 'introduce' it into nature.

Return to “Northern Parks”