SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: LEOKWE CAMP MAPUNGUBWE
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
CaliforniaGirl, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the camp so much :thumbs_up: . I also saw Orynx while I was there and was thrilled at their beauty.

You brought up a very good point in the scarcity of shopping/petrol facilities and to get as much as possible beforehand. I left firelighters behind and as non smoker I never thought of matches. We travelled to the petrol station shop, some way away and there was nothing to be had to get the fire properly started. Fortunately I was able to get matches.

There is a kiosk at the confluence picnic site where one can get wood, but other than a couple of packets of chips and a few sweets, there was little else.

I might be mistaken, but I think that the disabled chalets were those fairly close to the swimming pool. It would make sense as this is the communal area.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the additional information MM and CaliforniaGirl. All of this is so helpful and really appreciated. :clap: :clap:

I was not going to request a specific bungalow but now I would be a bit scared of getting #11. :big_eyes:

Croc Bridge - 6 April 2012
Berg en Dal - 7&8 April 2012

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm 

The lack of petrol was a slight annoyance to us too. None to be found on the Botswana side either, unless you want to travel far inland. Barely limped to the Dongola pumps after 5 nights at the tented camp & doing lots of trips.
That didn’t hold us back :roll: but we so almost did not make it and if Dongola had a problem so would we.
Next time, jerry cans.

Also know of a nice tiny brick shoppie, on the left hand side on the Pontrift road.
Spitting distance to the entrance gate. The lady there is well stocked with basic food stuff, bread and cooldrinks, a couple of flipflops and lots of hair gel. No ice. I think her main clientele are the SADF guys.
If nearer, Dongola is a better bet.

Johan we always take the Alldays road to get there. High on anticipation it not a issue that it’s a boring road, at least it’s in a good condition. Getting back we go the Louis Trichardt route. Beautiful mountains and through the tunnels, to try and lift the down mood after leaving Mapungubwe behind.
Wish it was me going. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:47 pm 

Hi all,
I still believe in making a list and try to ensure that when I arrive somewhere, I have everything..But every now and then list or not, something is missing, then we blame it on the "Dingvreter" -- Waars daai ding?? nee die dingvreter het hom opgevreet!!!
For those who think I have just gone mad, CaliforniaGirl we blame everything thats not there or missing, on the 'Thing-eater", Where is the thingy? Cant find it, then we blame it on the Thingeater. :slap:
Giraffee, we had a nice laugh when we read abt the hair gel. I doubt if we can use it to replace oil for frying an egg. :lol:
I like the fact that there might be fresh bread. We finished our 4 month tour of the RSA this year, in the North of KNP and I was so disgusted when we purchased bread at Shingwedzi and the Sell By date was beginning September and the actual date was first week in November :huh: " Dont worry, we freeze the bread" was the answer. Still thats what make life so interesting.
Number 11, why thats my lucky number :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am 

Hi all,
We will be leaving for Leokwe on 20 Feb and without starting a new post, wonder if anyone can tell me the current water level in the Limpopo (Mapungubwe area).
I have tried the Inet ( SAWeather) to see whether there was rain in that area but not very successfull.
I suppose with lots of rain, the roads can become a problem especially with a normal sedan but that is something we will face when we get there.
Your help appreciated. Hoping Wildjohn will see this as i think he might be the closest

I have also posted this same thread under Mpungubwe Advice, in hope someone will see this before we leave, which I am hoping to bring the date fwd for a few extra days. Wonder how Cherries enjoyed her stay?

EDITED AT 20:41 SAT 2/02/2010

Just received word that the Limpopo is full and more rain is expected.
Should be a wonderfull sight.

Punda Maria untill 21 Feb
Leokwe 21-25 Feb

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Johan

Our stay was absolutely wonderful. I have posted some photos for you on the advice thread just to whet your appetite!

We saw Kudu, Gemsbok, Red Haarties, Zebra, Impies, Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Klipspringers, Steenbuck, Banded Mongoose, Warthog, Bushbuck and .... LEOPARD

Below is a photo that I hope will help with camp layout particularly with regard to parking and outside showers.

IMHO - the sections with 3 bungalows are more likely to have a couple of showers facing the parking. We were in 12 and our parking faced the kitchen. 13's parking faced their outside shower. I am slightly hinting that you request 12!!! However, I know that is a personal choice. We decided not to request a bungalow before going which was a first in any camp! We were really pleased with our allocation.

I will do a trip report for our stay after a Punda Maria little report.

We were the only yellow and red ribbon in camp and I think there could not have been more than four more bungalows occupied!

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm 

Hi Jackie and I wld not dare to say welcome back :lol:
Wow it seems that you must have had a great time. Looking at the images I am :mrgreen:
Tnx so much for the tips regarding the accommodation. Will see what happens when we get there. Then with all the water I can see us having to call an Ellie to come and tow us out when we get stuck......This sedan of mine has been through the Hell (Gamkaskloof) on 2 previous occasions so I know she aint scared of anything but then they do have their limitations :( I will just have to make sure I dont go where I should not.
I have decided to take the road from Pafuri to Musina and then Leokwe and our return will be via Alldays.
Tnx agn for the photos and the camp layout. It seems to be well designed.
Now my secret; I have been visiting the KNP for many many moons, I have seen everything, except a LEOPARD. :big_eyes:
I am praying that my luck will change sometime.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Johan - that is exactly the route we took last week. We reported five illegal immigrants were walking about 4km away from Pufuri gate! They did get a shock to see us and blended into the bush so quickly.

Just a few potholes on the Pafuri to Musina section but we had expected worse! Think the main road in the actual town is a disgrace and the left lane on some occasions was non-existent!

I must admit we were very grateful to be using a colleague's 4x4 to see more of Mapungubwe. My Runx would have had a hundred more rattles! :lol: There were a couple of sedans in camp so not impossible to get there.

Enjoy and I hope you see leopard. This was our first time in any park. Friday night about 17h15 for more than 10 mins he just sat there. Only when another vehicle returned to camp did he leave. Maybe he will come for sundowners. :roll:

Cheers
Jackie

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Saw the pics. thanks they were great.

Post subject: Mapungubwe Accomodation - Spiders!?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am 

Hello!
I have a question concerning accomodation in Leokwe Camp. On the pictures I noticed that the Cottages have an outside shower without a door, altogether the rooms seem to be quite inviting for spiders and bugs...

Please give me some information about your own experiance. Are there lots insects and spiders inside the cottages?

Thanks!

Jen88

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe Accomodation - Spiders!?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Jen88, I have never been there but if its in the bush there will be creepy crawlies I'm afraid.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome Jen! :yaya:

Creepies will be around, or at least they can be.
They are more afraid of you though, and the cleaning staff are not their friends...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jen, welcome !!!

Don't worry to much. There is a normal door between the openair-shower and the bathroom. Keep closed all the doors to keep out insects, spiders .... .

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We have been there staying in both camps and did not find the spisers and other bugs excessive.
Use your insect repellant and enjoy the shower it is very pleasant, no need to open the hot water tap. :D

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you Jen88 :D

Leokwe camp is magic. I stayed there in winter and had no problem at all with the creepy crawlies. I am not sure when you are going. I took my very frail eighty year old mother and she coped very well with the shower.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next