View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marakele: GETTING THERE
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am 

Thanks for the update.look like i will go via Bela-Bela.... :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm 

Hi all,

Just a queiry about getting to marakele from the north... Ill be coming from Lephalale (old Ellisrus).
Should I take the R510 to Thabazimbi and then on to marakele, or is there a way of getting into the park from hoopdaal/groenvlei (this is how google maps plots the route)?

Thanks

Matt

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Matt2712

.Kindly note that the hoopdaal road is not a tarred raod and i would advice that you use R510 to Thabazimbi then drive about 12km to Marakele National Park:D

Post subject: Best route from Joburg (Melville) to Marakele?
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm thinking about visiting Marakele and Mapungubwe in April 2012. Some of my questions may have been asked before, but I really don't have time to wade thru 20+ pages of "advice" :roll:

First, does anyone have a better map of Marakele? None of the ones on the website show either where the camps are located (I'd be staying at Tlopi) or the tourist roads (I won't have a 4x4). A map of Tlopi camp would also be helpful and/or suggestions for which would be the "best" tent to choose for both privacy and a nice view.

Second, looking at my RSA roadmap, it looks like the best way to reach Marakele from Joburg (Melville) will be to take the R511 all the way? And then to continue on to Mapugubwe, the R510 and then the R572. Any suggestions for better routes?

Third, rather than shop IN joburg, is there a good supermarket en route to Marakele (along the R511 or in Thabazimbi?) And what about a supermarket en route from Marakele to Mapungubwe? Is Alldays my best bet?

Returning from Mapungubwe, I'd like to spend a couple of days at Nylsvley. Is travelling all the way from Mapugubwe to Nylsvley in one day overambitious, or reasonable if I make an early start?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my plans firm up, but many thanks for any help with these queries for starters :wink:

Last edited by arks on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Marakele map(s)
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: Nice plan!

Here is the best map I could find. Roads have changed a lot in the recent past. Most roads in Marakele nowadays are accessible by sedan, and the 4x4 roads are clearly marked.

The R511 used to be the logical route, but it is in a bad state of repair. I drove it a few weeks back, and would avoid it in the future. Maintenance is being done, but not fast enough and sections are in such a state that it should be rebuilt. It can be done, but absolutely not at night.

Rather take the N1 to Warmbaths (Bela Bela) then the R 516 which joins the R 511 at Koedoeskop. From there the R511 to Thabazimbi. This road is generally in good condition.

I would be adventurous and take the suggested R 510 and R 572 from there to Mapungubwe. I haven't driven those roads, so someone else should give advice on their state. The N1 to Polokwane (Pietersburg) and then the R521 to Alldays is an excelent alternative.

There are some good supermarkets in Thabazimbi where you can stock up for both legs of your trip. Don't bet on getting too much in Alldays. Polokwane, should you go that route is obviously well stocked.

Neylsvley is easily reachable from Mapungubwe. :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WoW, thanks Imberbe for the excellent and helpful map and all you advice. I'll check about the R511 closer to the time. Great to know that there are good supermarket choices in Thabazimbi 8) and that Nelsvley is an easy trip from Mapangubwe :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Arks,

I can give you advice on the R521 from Polokwane to Alldays. The road is fine up to Vivo, but thereafter there is not much left of the road on section between Vivo and Alldays. Expect to travel 60km/h so that you can stop in time for large pot holes.

If you not traveling past Polokwane and N1, Thabazimbi will be the best for shopping. I am not too familiar with the R510/R572, but that might have been my option as well to avoid the highly tolled N1. If you however decide on the N1 you can try the road south of the park via Rankins pass and Alma connecting to R33 towards Modimolle ( old Nylstroom) (close to Nylsvlei) and then N1.

Agree that the best route towards Thabazimbi is the advice from Imberbe. Also plan your trip to leave Jo'burg early to get to Pretoria around 5 am - 6 am. There are roadworks on the N1 close to Zambesi drive and by 6 am the traffic can be hectic.

A completely alternative route can be via Rustenburg and taking the R510 past Pilansberg and Northam before reaching Thabazimbi. This is a good option if you are staying west of Jo'burg, e.g. Muldersdrif area.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 pm 

:thumbs_up:

Living near Zambezi I can tell you that the traffic should not be a problem as you will be travelling in the opposite direction of the very hectic traffic. In the mornings the majority of movement is towards Johannesburg and the lanes heading North is in comparison rather quiet.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:40 pm 

arks wrote:
A map of Tlopi camp would also be helpful and/or suggestions for which would be the "best" tent to choose for both privacy and a nice view.

Second, looking at my RSA roadmap, it looks like the best way to reach Marakele from Joburg (Melville) will be to take the R511 all the way? And then to continue on to Mapugubwe, the R510 and then the R572. Any suggestions for better routes?

Hi Arks. :) Nine tents all with great views facing the dam.
We’ve seen most animals drink at the lower end of the dam towards the last tents.
Lourie, No 9 the last tent is most private. Also most difficult to book.
Third from last is Cormorant No7 the 2nd most private and Fish Eagle also relatively private but with almost no shade.
The R511 is horrific. Also everything Imberbe says.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all this very helpful feedback! I'll check again on road conditions closer to the time.

Post subject: Marakele day trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all, I am driving to another reserve in the area on Wednesday, and will be driving via Thabazimbi. I thought of leaving Jo'burg extra-early, and spending a few hours in Marakele en-route. I will be in an ordinary sedan. I would like some advice on this:
1. Is it worth spending a few (3-4) hours in Marakele (I'm not expecting anyone to say no to this).
2. If you had only 3 hours there, what would you concentrate on? Any nice hides/picnic spots etc.
3. Which route is better from Jo'burg, The R511 via Brits or the N1 and R516 via Warmbaths?

The reserve I'm going to (Welgevonden) shares a short border with Marakele, so the terrain on Welgevonden is probably quite similar to Marakele. Ideally I'd like to see something different (to Welgevonden) if available, i.e. different terrain, birds etc.

Thanks in advance!

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Re: Marakele day trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Josh! :yaya:

1. YES!!! 8)
2. Go up the mountain for sure! Watch out for the vultures. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
3. Go via Warmbaths. The road through Britz is very bad. They are busy fixing potholes but there are still portions that are very dangerous to say the least, particularly in a sedan.

Enjoy!! :dance: :dance:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again Jen.

Out of interest, has anyone recently gone to Thabazimbi via the R510 (goes past Pilanesberg)? I know the stretch up to Mogwase is in good condition (having driven it within a month).
According to Google Maps, (from Randburg), it is only 20km longer than the R511.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort
The R511 via Brits Is not a good Idea even with my SUV I did not feel safe on that road last weekend :big_eyes: :shock: And there are a lot of trucks on the road that does not worry about the pothole seeing that they created them and they still travel high speeds on those roads.Unfortunately so little time in an amazing place as well But yes :thumbs_up: do take a trip up the mountain its breathtaking enjoy. :thumbs_up:

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cassius wrote:
Hi Matt2712

.Kindly note that the hoopdaal road is not a tarred raod and i would advice that you use R510 to Thabazimbi then drive about 12km to Marakele National Park:D
Hi Cassius, does your advice still apply? On Wednesday I'll be driving to Welgevonden via Thabazimbi, and am planning to spend a few hours in Marakele. Which is the quickest route (to Groenvlei/the R33), back to Thabazimbi and the R510, or on the road going through the park?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next