Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: RosemaryH

Unread postby freespirit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Another question for you guys.
On the map it looks like you can drive from Tlopi directly through to the main area?
Or must you still go out the side again and around to the other entrance?

Unread postby Blyde » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:58 am

Kimberly, we were there with a 2x4. The first road on the left as you leave Thlopi, takes you to the tar road that goes up to the towers. I think it’s supposed to be a 4x4 route but we were sure that if you drive slowly and carefully a normal car can do it easily. Maybe somebody else knows better?

As for the wild dogs, they were released half an hour before we booked in but we failed to find them :redface: and we did spend a lot of time trying to find them (mostly because of the aircon in the car :lol: )

Marakele info required

Unread postby vhurly » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 pm

We will be visiting Tlopi camp next week. Can you tell me whether the two beds are double beds or single? I assume single.

We have heard that there are cycads in the area, could anyone confirm this. If so, where are they to be found and what type of encephalartos are they?

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:28 am

Encephalartos eugene-maraisii , up to 5m high , are found in the park.

Doug Taylor

Marakele - some general comments

Unread postby Doug Taylor » Tue May 01, 2007 5:23 pm

We spent a very pleasant 4 nights in Tlopi at the beginning of April. We saw very little game in either part of the park, but saw 75 birds (some lifers) and identified a number of trees - which was all rather fun. Some of the 4x4 tracks were quite serious (we had to use low range) and I wouldn't try them in a 2Xanything but good luck if you like walking in the great outdoors. Everything about the park and Tlopi was great with one exception - the floors SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK all the time and because the tents are quite close together you hear all the midnight toilet visits, etc.! Those who are looking for a romantic time away would best be advised to try elsewhere.

Josh. W

Unread postby Josh. W » Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the gravel roads, east of Tlopi Camp, they are the worst roads I have ever been on, and I have been on some shockers!! It was absolutely fantastic!!! If you want to test your 4X4 out, this is the place to do it, if it doesn't cope, it can't be called a 4X4. Hopefully they haven't fixed the road, that would be a pity. :(
Other than that it's an exquisitely beautiful park.

Unread postby Fhatuwani » Thu May 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Josh

The road east of Tlopi camp is currently under construction with big machinery on site converting it into normal sedan road. And hopefully the project will be completed end of May 07.

Unread postby Fhatuwani » Mon May 07, 2007 11:56 am

Besides the road east of Tlopi tented camp which is currently under constraction there are other 4x4 roads which are still open and i really enjoy the ride. see you next time in Marakele

Marakele and game drives?

Unread postby wmi » Sun May 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Hello I'm new at the forum.

We’ve traveled many times in groups to Africa. This time we are going to do a self drive. We are going to travel with a regular sedan. Most off the time that’s not going to be a problem. Only in Marakele it a little problem because most of the roads are only accessible by 4x4. This trip we want to visit Marakele. With groups Marakele is never in the program list. If I’m well informed there are options to book night drives and 4x4 drives at the park: Reception Office, Bontle Camping Site or Tlopi tented camp.

On this site of sanparks I don't see the options to book this.
Can anybody who has bin there tell me some more and conform if I’m right. Maybe someone knows the tariffs as well.
Who can tell me more?
Kind regards,

An African Wildlife fan

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon May 14, 2007 11:36 pm

Hi wmi

We visited Marakele this weekend. We did not have much time to spend there, but I noted that many of the roads have been upgraded and are now quite accessible by ordinary sedan. You will thus have no problem driving yourselves around.

The road to the "Towers" is tarred, and is definitely the highlight of the visit. It takes you to the top of the mountain and there are some brilliant scenery. We also saw plenty of klipspringer, peregrine falcon and of course the breeding colony of vultures

Night drives and day drives can be booked at reception, though I do not know what the price is.

Enjoy your visit! It is a small but beautiful park.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Marakele distance and time

Unread postby glynsay » Sun May 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am wanting to go to Marakele next weekend. Problem is I can only leave Bruma lake at 15h00. I will be towing a caravan. Will I be able to make Marakele before the gates etc close? I believe they close at 18h00. Is that also correct?

I plan going via Warmbaths. Is this the better route or is the Brits route better.

Do they have late entry permits at all like Kruger.

Sorry for so many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Glynn and Lindsay

Pieter Steyn
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

marakele distance and time.

Unread postby Pieter Steyn » Sun May 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Hallo Glynsay

During the winter months the gates close at 17H30.

From Pretoria via Brits on the platinum highway the distance is 270km. It is properly the best rout to follow. Do not know the distance via Warmbad.

If you leave at 15hoo, it leave you with two and a half hours. I do not think that you will make it in time as you have to go through 2 toll gates. Seeing it is over a weekend and it is also the end of the month weekend, you will encounter traffic.

As for the late entry permit you will have to phone Marakele.There telephone number (014) 777-1745 or 083 564 6255

Bontle Caravan & Camping Site is close to the entry gate. If they do allow you to enter late, there will be enough electrical lights to set up camp. I would suggest that you try and set up camp in the Sable loop as it is next to the water hole and all the animals visit it. Remember that the camp is not fenced in that the Rhino's and other animals enter the camp at will.

I would suggest that you leave at the latest at 14Hoo if you can. Marakele is very beautiful and is definitely worth visiting.

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Mon May 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Via warmbaths is the beter route because the road from warmbaths past leeukop to thabazimbi is low traffic whereas the road from brits to thabazimbi is very high density traffic .

but you realy need about 3 hours non-stop , so try for the late arrival option or leave earlier .

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby dianne » Tue May 29, 2007 6:32 pm

I will have to post about my adventures in Marakele in a little Corsa Lite :lol: I must say though the little car came through for me...but I´m looking forward to a little more accessibilty, at least till I can get something a bigger and higher...thanks Hendrick :D

Dianne Tipping-Woods

Return to “Northern Parks”